PDA

View Full Version : Airport Access to Trail?

Scouter Dave
03-18-2005, 12:25
Do you know of any airports (not large comercial ones) close to AT access? I am a pilot form Ohio and I section hike the trail once a year with my Scout Troop. I would like to hike the AT a few 3~4 day weekends as well but the 10+ hour drive makes that impossible.
In passing Mt Rogers NRA two years ago, I realized that Moutain Empire Airport (Marion/Wytheville, VA) is only about a mile from where the trail crosses under I-81 and I can fly there in 2 hours.
Are there any other airports along the trail that I could just get out of my plane, throw on my pack, and hike the AT?!?

Jaybird
03-18-2005, 12:35
Not many airstrips along side the A.T.! hehehehehehe

seriously, tho'....Atlanta is not that far from Springer...
after flying in...& a shuttle ride of 1 1/2 hrs or so....your'e hiking!

Lone Wolf
03-18-2005, 12:38
There's a small airport about 15 miles from Damascus along I-81 similar to Marion/Wythville.

03-18-2005, 12:52
Dahlonega, Ga has an airport that is on the way to the trail. It would be about a 15 min shuttle to Cooper Gap (12 miles from Springer) and about 35 min shuttle to Springer Mt. It is a nice but rural air strip (paved). Good news is that rescue air for North Ga is based there.

Rain Man
03-18-2005, 13:00
Perhaps the ATC would know? Or, would know who would know?

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/

Just a guess, for what it's worth.

Rain:sunMan

Dances with Mice
03-18-2005, 13:52
http://www.highvalleyresort.com/airport.htm

NICKTHEGREEK
03-18-2005, 14:29
KFRR, Front Royal VA right the North end of SNP.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFRR

Tim Rich
03-18-2005, 14:40
You could put down on Max Patch. I believe small planes used to land there.

Check www.airnav.com/airports/us to browse airports by State.

N94 Carlisle Airport looks to be less than five miles from Boiling Springs, PA.

Roland
03-18-2005, 14:49
Do you know of any airports (not large comercial ones) close to AT access? ~~~ Dave,

BML is minutes from the White Mtns, the Carter/Moriah range and the Mahoosuc range. Public transportation is provided by Freedom Express. More information is available from the terminal manager.

Roland

RockyTrail
03-18-2005, 20:30
Lumpkin County 9A0 is only a few miles from Cooper Gap North Georgia 3000 ft rwy. If you land there you might talk someone into taking you as far as the Ranger station (Ft Merrill) where the pavement ends. Then its up a dirt road to Cooper Gap and the AT.

Nice pretty field, but there's not much activity there; most of the time when I landed my ragwing piper there nobody was around. But it's fun, when landing on 15 the runway goes behind a mountain on downwind!:)

smokymtnsteve
03-18-2005, 20:39
Franklin NC has a airfield.

Mountain Dew
03-18-2005, 22:42
There is a small airport about 20 minutes outside of Erwin to the west towards Greenville. Miss Janet and I took two Floridian section hikers back to their plane last year. I'm sure you could arange to have her come pick you up for a small fee. Good luck and fly safe...

Fly By Mike
09-29-2005, 09:48
Do you know of any airports (not large comercial ones) close to AT access? I am a pilot form Ohio and I section hike the trail once a year with my Scout Troop. I would like to hike the AT a few 3~4 day weekends as well but the 10+ hour drive makes that impossible.
In passing Mt Rogers NRA two years ago, I realized that Moutain Empire Airport (Marion/Wytheville, VA) is only about a mile from where the trail crosses under I-81 and I can fly there in 2 hours.
Are there any other airports along the trail that I could just get out of my plane, throw on my pack, and hike the AT?!?
Try GBR (Great Barrington) in MA, and MLT (Millinocket) in ME. I'm also a pilot and fly between the two of them a lot as I live in both places. Both are hiker friendly and while not right on the trail its usually easy to get rides:clap

LIhikers
09-29-2005, 17:41
Just this past summer my wife and I did the northern section of PA. We climbed the Leighhigh Gap, going northbound, and were able to see an airport from the top. I have no idea which airport it was though, check the sectional map covers that area of PA

c.coyle
09-29-2005, 19:35
Just this past summer my wife and I did the northern section of PA. We climbed the Leighhigh Gap, going northbound, and were able to see an airport from the top. I have no idea which airport it was though, check the sectional map covers that area of PA

Grimes Airport, near Bethel, Pa., is about 2 miles from the 501 Shelter. Basically at the foot of the mountain.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/8N1

Phoenix Rising
04-03-2006, 23:40
There is a great little field just about a mile or two south from Aktins, VA where the trail crosses I-81 and there is even a Dairy Queen on the trail that you could treat the kids to afterwards if they were good!

passinBYE
04-03-2006, 23:47
There is a small airport in Elizabethton, Tn about 8 miles from Dennis Cove...Kincora.....or about 12 miles from where the trail crosses 91... approx. 30 miles south of Damascus

passinBYE
04-03-2006, 23:49
http://www.airport-data.com/airport/0A9/

passinBYE
04-04-2006, 00:07
You could actually do a loop... from right there on 91...take AT to Damascus..then take Iron Mt. trail back... you could ask Dave at Mt. Rogers Outfitters about trail conditions there on the Iron Mt. trail he helps maintain it..I do believe... Lone Wolf could give you better mileage estimate on that loop...they meet there at Cross mt. rd and 91...heck if it only yourself...I would pick you up at the airport and take you to the trail... either 91 or Dennis Cove...no charge

Lone Wolf
04-04-2006, 04:13
There is a great little field just about a mile or two south from Aktins, VA where the trail crosses I-81 and there is even a Dairy Queen on the trail that you could treat the kids to afterwards if they were good!
That Dairy Queen is CLOSED.

Sly
04-04-2006, 08:04
That Dairy Queen is CLOSED.

Bummer. Did anything take it's place?

Lone Wolf
04-04-2006, 08:31
No. The Exxon staion attached to it is also closed.