PDA

View Full Version : Is this section hike doable?

tenn_hiker
02-07-2012, 10:52
So i have been getting stuff together and making schedules for my spring break section hike. I am bringing my friend who is new at hiking so it should be fun. My friend is pretty athletic he has either been on the football team or wrestling team each year in high school. But none the less, he hasn't hiked but once with me so it will probably be tough especially with since i want to do 132 miles in like 7 and a half or 8 and a half days.

day: Miles:
1 Rock Gap to siler bald shelter 8
2 siler bald shelter to A. rufus morgan shelter 22.3
3 A. rufus morgan shelter to brown fork gap shelter 16.8
4 Brown fork gap shelter to fontana dam shelter 12.7
5 Fontana dam shelter to spence field shelter 16.7
6 Spence field shelter to double spring gap shelter 13.6
7 Double spring gap shelter to pecks corner shelter 21.2
8 Pecks corner to cosby knob shelter 12.9
9 cosby knob shelter to TN-32 Davenport gap 8

is that schedule doable? I've revised the schedule a few times after i got better maps and stuff. day 1 is less than a half day, we are going down after school, we will probably be doing a little night hiking.

Ender
02-07-2012, 10:55
Honestly, a 22+ mile day on day two is pushing it.

hikerboy57
02-07-2012, 10:56
i cant see how your friend is going to put in a 20+day his second day out.is this a secret plan to hike alone?its an ambitious schedule.

max patch
02-07-2012, 11:00
No way should you plan for 20 miles days for someone who has never hiked before.

RWheeler
02-07-2012, 11:00
Honestly, a 22+ mile day on day two is pushing it.

i cant see how your friend is going to put in a 20+day his second day out.is this a secret plan to hike alone?its an ambitious schedule.

Not only a 20+ day, but followed by an almost 17-mile day? That's asking too much out of the gate, in my opinion. Football and wrestling, while definitely requiring fitness and athleticism, are flat. Hiking includes elevation. Big bodies (whether very muscular, or other senses of big) moving up and down all day don't tend to do very well.

RWheeler
02-07-2012, 11:01
I'd make an 8 day trip with less miles, end at Pecks probably.

Kerosene
02-07-2012, 11:24
I just hiked much of this section with my newbie daughter over the past 2 Mays. You can avoid a 22-mile second day with the following schedule:
1 - Start at Winding Stair Gap instead of Rock Gap, and tent at Wayah Gap, 6 miles from Winding Stair Gap. If you insist on starting at Rock Gap, realize that there is a pretty good climb of the ridge out of Rock Gap...not terrible but it will be a wake-up call to your friend. Assuming that you're starting mid-day, assume you will maintain a 2 mph pace for the afternoon.
2 - hike 15.7 miles to Wesser Shelter
3 - 16.2 miles to the Locust Grove Campsite
4 - 18.5 miles to Fontana Dam Shelter
5 - Same as planned: 16.7 to Spence Field Shelter
6 - I think I would prefer to shoot for Mt. Collins Shelter for a 19.8 mile day
7 - 14.9 miles to Pecks Corner Shelter
8 - Same as planned: 12.9 to Cosby Knob Shelter
9 - An easy 8 miles to Davenport Gap. Try to give yourself an extra hour to visit Mt. Cammerer Lookout, about 0.6 miles off the AT but worth the view.
Recognize that conditions will have to be optimal for you to keep to this plan. You should be prepared to cut your hike short at Fontana Dam or Newfound Gap if your friend can't keep to this level of daily mileage or if the weather doesn't cooperate. There's even a chance that he may be physically capable, but just isn't enjoying himself enough to hike all day. Typical re-supply points are NOC and Fontana Dam. If you can get through GSMNP in 4.5 days then you should be able to carry all your food.

Senor Jalapeno
02-07-2012, 11:24
I'm gonna have to go ahead and say it is DOABLE... but u won't want to do it. Those are big miles for a section hike in that area. You're gonna wanna keep yr mileage below 20. I would say, just try to make it to Newfound Gap in the smokies. Even thru hikers aren't trying to pull 20's by that point. Its spring break, enjoy it!

Seatbelt
02-07-2012, 11:32
I did a section hike over much easier terrain with a "wrestler" who is half my age and solid as a rock. He was ready to quit at noon the first day. Hiking is much different than many other physical activites.

wornoutboots
02-07-2012, 12:18
HYOH, but remember the freedom about backpacking is the wonderful ability TO BE FLEXIBLE, you can stop and start at any part of the day. Listen to your bodies & hike accordingly, mileage isn't even close to being the biggest & best thing to think about when on trail, it's actually a detriment! Enjoy your hike!!

Duramax22
02-07-2012, 12:29
those are high milage days and many of those could be in the rain. i remember hiking out of fontana dam up shuckstak which is like a 2300ft climb in a thunderstorm that just dumped the rain. worst day of my life the trail was a small river. i would shorten the miles and enjoy yourself. the smokeys can be very tough.

Slo-go'en
02-07-2012, 12:33
I would suggest starting at Fontana dam and taking your time through the Smokies. 8 days through the Smokies is much more reasonable as a section hike and allows for bad weather delays. The schedule you outlined is ambitious even for someone in thru-hiker shape. You need to be looking at 10 mile days, not 17 and 20's. Not through that neck of the woods.

tenn_hiker
02-07-2012, 12:48
muhahaha! it is a secret plan, lol just kidding.. I've made up different schedules one stopping at new found gap and one taking a side trail near cades cove, i showed all three schedules and he wants to go for the 132 mile one. He is one of those people who is always looking for a challenge, as am I. obviously i will have alternate take out points if we can't make it, or just decide we want to take it slower.

Not only a 20+ day, but followed by an almost 17-mile day? That's asking too much out of the gate, in my opinion. Football and wrestling, while definitely requiring fitness and athleticism, are flat. Hiking includes elevation. Big bodies (whether very muscular, or other senses of big) moving up and down all day don't tend to do very well.

Yeah, i know what you mean but as i said above he wants a challenge, as do I.

I just hiked much of this section with my newbie daughter over the past 2 Mays. You can avoid a 22-mile second day with the following schedule:
1 - Start at Winding Stair Gap instead of Rock Gap, and tent at Wayah Gap, 6 miles from Winding Stair Gap. If you insist on starting at Rock Gap, realize that there is a pretty good climb of the ridge out of Rock Gap...not terrible but it will be a wake-up call to your friend. Assuming that you're starting mid-day, assume you will maintain a 2 mph pace for the afternoon.
2 - hike 15.7 miles to Wesser Shelter
3 - 16.2 miles to the Locust Grove Campsite
4 - 18.5 miles to Fontana Dam Shelter
5 - Same as planned: 16.7 to Spence Field Shelter
6 - I think I would prefer to shoot for Mt. Collins Shelter for a 19.8 mile day
7 - 14.9 miles to Pecks Corner Shelter
8 - Same as planned: 12.9 to Cosby Knob Shelter
9 - An easy 8 miles to Davenport Gap. Try to give yourself an extra hour to visit Mt. Cammerer Lookout, about 0.6 miles off the AT but worth the view.
Recognize that conditions will have to be optimal for you to keep to this plan. You should be prepared to cut your hike short at Fontana Dam or Newfound Gap if your friend can't keep to this level of daily mileage or if the weather doesn't cooperate. There's even a chance that he may be physically capable, but just isn't enjoying himself enough to hike all day. Typical re-supply points are NOC and Fontana Dam. If you can get through GSMNP in 4.5 days then you should be able to carry all your food.

Yeah, we have alternate take out points as well. Thanks for your info, i have the schedule the way i do for a few reason, we want a relatively easy day down to fontana dam and we want to stay at the shelter before clingmans dome so we can see the sunrise from the summit.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and say it is DOABLE... but u won't want to do it. Those are big miles for a section hike in that area. You're gonna wanna keep yr mileage below 20. I would say, just try to make it to Newfound Gap in the smokies. Even thru hikers aren't trying to pull 20's by that point. Its spring break, enjoy it!

I know it is a very ambitious schedule but we want to push ourselves.

tenn_hiker
02-07-2012, 12:52
Another question, which section is harder? from springer to rock gap? or my schedule i have here

Ender
02-07-2012, 13:26
I know it is a very ambitious schedule but we want to push ourselves.

Honestly, you might push yourselves right into injury with that schedule.

Especially if you're not doing any hiking prep beforehand. You can be in great shape, but hiking uses different muscles in different ways... I've seen countless in-shape people pushed off the trail by injury due to pushing it too fast.

RWheeler
02-07-2012, 13:38
Honestly, you might push yourselves right into injury with that schedule.

Especially if you're not doing any hiking prep beforehand. You can be in great shape, but hiking uses different muscles in different ways... I've seen countless in-shape people pushed off the trail by injury due to pushing it too fast.

Right, there's a difference between an honest challenge trying to box a bear.

hikerboy57
02-07-2012, 13:48
Right, there's a difference between an honest challenge trying to box a bear.if you're looking for a challenge, try jumping the english channel.its topugher than it seems.

Lone Wolf
02-07-2012, 13:57
So i have been getting stuff together and making schedules for my spring break section hike. I am bringing my friend who is new at hiking so it should be fun. My friend is pretty athletic he has either been on the football team or wrestling team each year in high school. But none the less, he hasn't hiked but once with me so it will probably be tough especially with since i want to do 132 miles in like 7 and a half or 8 and a half days.

is that schedule doable? I've revised the schedule a few times after i got better maps and stuff. day 1 is less than a half day, we are going down after school, we will probably be doing a little night hiking.yeah it's doable. you've got youth on your side. go for it

lemon b
02-07-2012, 14:03
Doable but doesn't look fun. Your going to be sore, hiking with a pack is awhole lot different then sports.

PapaGarrettP
02-07-2012, 14:06
I agree with most of the feedback. Two main points being:

1. 22 miles on Day 2 is ambitious. It may put your buddy off on hiking, especially if he develops a hot spot or blister on Day 1, and
2. What is the point in achieving so many miles? Wouldn't less miles and more time enjoying lunch breaks, vistas, etc. be more fun?

Berserker
02-07-2012, 14:31
I agree with others that have said to reduce the mileage. I remember being in tip-top shape back in the mid 90s (I used to be a cyclist and race both road and mountain bike races), never having hiked before, and I asked a guy to give me the hardest 25 mile section near Lynchburg to do over a weekend. Well, he gave me the section that includes Three Ridges and the Priest. I gotta say I went into that thing thinking I was a bad arse, and after the first day of 13 miles I think I got my arse handed to me. So yeah, being in good physical condition is great, but I wouldn't trying going for that many miles your first time out. How about just doing the Smokies for example? That's 73.6 miles if you go in at Fontana Dam, and exit at Waterville School Rd. (you can park at Standing Bear Hostel). Just a thought...I think you'd have a lot more fun.

K_Squared
02-07-2012, 14:33
Like most people said, it's doable, but doesn't sound like fun. Why would you want to do all that mileage, why not take it slower and enjoy the trail? With those mileages you might be too concerned with your pace to enjoy yourselves.

Also -- are you planning on carrying 8 days worth of food? I didn't see a resupply factored into your schedule. If you aren't resupplying, that is going to make for a real heavy pack, which will make that 2nd day (22 miles) not much fun.

Camping Dave
02-07-2012, 16:16
Very doable. Ignore the chicken-littles. Have a good time.

Unsolicited advice: Screwing around in camp cooking fancy breakfasts and sipping cocoa wastes daylight. Wake up. Pack up. Move out.

tenn_hiker
02-07-2012, 17:26
yeah it's doable. you've got youth on your side. go for it
Thank you Lone Wolf!

Doable but doesn't look fun. Your going to be sore, hiking with a pack is awhole lot different then sports.
I know what hiking is, i've hiked quit a bit, i did the Georgia section averaging about the same miles.

Like most people said, it's doable, but doesn't sound like fun. Why would you want to do all that mileage, why not take it slower and enjoy the trail? With those mileages you might be too concerned with your pace to enjoy yourselves.

Also -- are you planning on carrying 8 days worth of food? I didn't see a resupply factored into your schedule. If you aren't resupplying, that is going to make for a real heavy pack, which will make that 2nd day (22 miles) not much fun.
It's just how i like to hike, i don't see the point in taking a million breaks, or cooking some big fancy breakfast and even stopping to cook lunch, i might do that once during the whole trip. sure if there is a nice view i stop for a while and take a break, and eat some food or something but I've always walked fast weather it's backing or not that's just how i am. plus i get up early most days when I hike, so if i did low miles i would be done by noon, leaving me with all that time to do nothing.. if i was actually thru hiking it would be a different story, i would take my time cause i wouldn't have a time limit, well not really.. you know? but since i only have 8 days or so i want to see as much as i can. Also, i haven't really thought about a resupply.. i would like to have one but i haven't really looked into it yet. any suggestions?

Very doable. Ignore the chicken-littles. Have a good time.

Unsolicited advice: Screwing around in camp cooking fancy breakfasts and sipping cocoa wastes daylight. Wake up. Pack up. Move out.

Finally some good advice! haha. i like to be gone when the sun is coming up, or before that!

fredmugs
02-07-2012, 17:42
I could not have done that hike at 40 but I can now at 48 (lots of lessons learned). For general soreness you can suck it up but if his feet get covered in blisters you could be done. Proper footwear may be more important than anything else.

kofritz
02-07-2012, 17:55
tenn_hiker you have gotten great advice here. i agree with the cautions on TMM(2 many miles) per day... maybe you should try one of the sections as a day hike to see how it goes...

tenn_hiker
02-07-2012, 18:22
I could not have done that hike at 40 but I can now at 48 (lots of lessons learned). For general soreness you can suck it up but if his feet get covered in blisters you could be done. Proper footwear may be more important than anything else.

Yeah, i know he needs some good boots or trail runners

takethisbread
02-07-2012, 18:24
132 miles in 7-8 days in that section is not a problem as long as weather is ok. Unless you are an old beaten down warhorse like most of the geratric moaners here it might be aproblem. some folks here like to talk about hiking but they really roll out of camp at about 9:30 am after they have 3 cups of camp coffee, and hike a few hours pull into camp at 3:15pm after a grueling 9.2 miles. :banana

Seriously 15-17 mpd average should be standard for anyone under 40 years old.

flemdawg1
02-07-2012, 18:29
I wouldn't do it. Too many miles. Its supposed to be fun, not a week of death marches. I'd keep it around 15 miles/day.

Magilla
02-07-2012, 18:36
I wonder how heavy your friends pack is, being his first time. My first time hiking I had a pack heading out of Pearisburg that was close to 50lbs. It didn't take long to learn to get rid of things. If your friend carries a heavy pack he will be misserable with that many miles.

tenn_hiker
02-07-2012, 18:40
I wonder how heavy your friends pack is, being his first time. My first time hiking I had a pack heading out of Pearisburg that was close to 50lbs. It didn't take long to learn to get rid of things. If your friend carries a heavy pack he will be misserable with that many miles.

Well he is using my fathers pack, and gear, so it will not be that heavy.. but it's defiantly not a UL pack haha

lissersmith
02-07-2012, 18:46
He might not be your friend for long. This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

takethisbread
02-07-2012, 18:47
Well he is using my fathers pack, and gear, so it will not be that heavy.. but it's defiantly not a UL pack hahai took my son on his first backpacking trip when he was 16. He is not athletic. We are talking Fredo from the Godfather. Loaded him up and banged out Bennington to Manchester in 2 days. thats 44 miles and the hiking is a no less difficult than the path youve dreamed up here. and my son is real weak.

moytoy
02-07-2012, 18:55
Another question, which section is harder? from springer to rock gap? or my schedule i have here
Springer to Rock Gap is easier than Rock Gap to Davenport Gap.

Freedom Walker
02-07-2012, 19:05
OP, whatever you decide to do I you come back to this thread and honestly share how it worked out.

tenn_hiker
02-07-2012, 19:52
Springer to Rock Gap is easier than Rock Gap to Davenport Gap.
Thanks, i was wondering if anyone was going to answer me..

OP, whatever you decide to do I you come back to this thread and honestly share how it worked out.

I will defiantly do that,i should be back the 15th or 16th of april

Papa D
02-07-2012, 19:57

is that schedule doable? I've revised the schedule a few times after i got better maps and stuff. day 1 is less than a half day, we are going down after school, we will probably be doing a little night hiking.

Yes - this is very doable - but I'm not so sure why you chose the stopping spots you did - I think you could do this over-all mileage a lot easier if you break it up a little different: for example, your 16.8 mile day is a whole heck of a lot harder than your 22.3 mile day or your 21.2 mile day - I'd also recommend skipping a couple of shelters in favor of ones you might like better. I know this section really well. Feel free to private message me. I'll give you my phone number and talk it out with you if you like.

bigcranky
02-07-2012, 20:01
i took my son on his first backpacking trip when he was 16. He is not athletic. We are talking Fredo from the Godfather. Loaded him up and banged out Bennington to Manchester in 2 days. thats 44 miles and the hiking is a no less difficult than the path youve dreamed up here. and my son is real weak.

Does your son still speak to you?

tenn_hiker
02-07-2012, 20:13
Yes - this is very doable - but I'm not so sure why you chose the stopping spots you did - I think you could do this over-all mileage a lot easier if you break it up a little different: for example, your 16.8 mile day is a whole heck of a lot harder than your 22.3 mile day or your 21.2 mile day - I'd also recommend skipping a couple of shelters in favor of ones you might like better. I know this section really well. Feel free to private message me. I'll give you my phone number and talk it out with you if you like.

I sent you a message, thanks for your help!

Shooting Star
02-08-2012, 00:04
Just do the Smokies northbound - Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap. I think this
will finish off your friend. If so, you can bail at Newfound Gap, go into G'burg and
party for a few. If not and you're still going strong at Davenport Gap with a
few days left - head north to Hot Springs (35 mi north). You can bail at Max Patch
or another gap along the way if time runs out or you run out of gas. Good luck...

RockDoc
02-08-2012, 00:52
In terms of hours of hiking per day, it's 11 hrs at the most at about 2 mph ave. Some days are as little as 4 hrs. So if you start at 7 am, you finish up at 6 pm on your long day. What's the problem with that? Sounds like the making of a hiking trip, as opposed to a camping trip.

daddytwosticks
02-08-2012, 08:07
All I have to say is have at it and hope you all enjoy the hike. But PLEASE report back after the hike and de-brief us all. Way too much testosterone flowing in this thread. Just my humble opinion. :)

Berserker
02-08-2012, 14:08
It's just how i like to hike, i don't see the point in taking a million breaks, or cooking some big fancy breakfast and even stopping to cook lunch, i might do that once during the whole trip. sure if there is a nice view i stop for a while and take a break, and eat some food or something but I've always walked fast weather it's backing or not that's just how i am. plus i get up early most days when I hike, so if i did low miles i would be done by noon, leaving me with all that time to do nothing.. if i was actually thru hiking it would be a different story, i would take my time cause i wouldn't have a time limit, well not really.. you know? but since i only have 8 days or so i want to see as much as i can. Also, i haven't really thought about a resupply.. i would like to have one but i haven't really looked into it yet. any suggestions?
So based on this it sounds like you know what you are getting into, but does your buddy...I guess we'll find when you report back.:)

As for re-supply someone that's done the Smokies will have to comment cause I haven't done them yet. I have done the portion South of the Smokies to Fonatana Dam though. I've found when sectioning the best thing to do is to try and drop a re-supply box off somewhere before I start. You may be able to drop one at the dam (not sure though so maybe someone can comment on that). Past Fontana you're probably going to just want to carry all your food through the Smokies or else the best re-supply spot would probably be a hitch to Gatlinburg from 441, and that would be a pain/waste of time on a section hike.

tenn_hiker
02-08-2012, 18:10
All I have to say is have at it and hope you all enjoy the hike. But PLEASE report back after the hike and de-brief us all. Way too much testosterone flowing in this thread. Just my humble opinion. :)

Will do! haha

So based on this it sounds like you know what you are getting into, but does your buddy...I guess we'll find when you report back.:)

As for re-supply someone that's done the Smokies will have to comment cause I haven't done them yet. I have done the portion South of the Smokies to Fonatana Dam though. I've found when sectioning the best thing to do is to try and drop a re-supply box off somewhere before I start. You may be able to drop one at the dam (not sure though so maybe someone can comment on that). Past Fontana you're probably going to just want to carry all your food through the Smokies or else the best re-supply spot would probably be a hitch to Gatlinburg from 441, and that would be a pain/waste of time on a section hike.

Yeah, i think a resupply at the dam would be the best idea.

In terms of hours of hiking per day, it's 11 hrs at the most at about 2 mph ave. Some days are as little as 4 hrs. So if you start at 7 am, you finish up at 6 pm on your long day. What's the problem with that? Sounds like the making of a hiking trip, as opposed to a camping trip.

Yeah, that's what i'm saying.. i don't like sitting at the shelter/campsite all day like some people, but you know.. HYOH