PDA

View Full Version : New Camelbak UV water treatment

moof53
02-07-2012, 16:21
Thought I would put this out there.

Looks like Camelbak has introduced a new UV water treatment device, http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Purification/Intro.aspx to compete with Steripen. The device is a Camelbak .75 liter Tritan bottle and cap with built-in UV bulb. The UV bulb is inside the cap and the device is rechargeable via a usb wall charger. Its charge capacity is listed at 80 cycles per full charge or 3, .75 liter, bottles a day for 26 days. The types of water treated are similar with Steripen. No ice in the water, etc. Price is listed at $99.

Advantages seem to be the bulb in the cap is more protected than the Steripen bulb. The cap and bottle are integrated into one system so quick to use. Just fill the bottle, screw on the UV cap, activate the UV bulb, rotate the bottle about ever 10 seconds and 60 seconds later it is ready to consume. The bottle can also accommodate a pre-filter (another cap) that secures onto the bottle before directly filling from the source (whether with or without the pre filter, just remember to wipe the outside of the bottle, especially the thread area around the mouth).

Some disadvantages seem to be the cap is recommended to be used only with the appropriate Camelbak .75 liter bottle. No way to pre-filter or treat water in other types of bottles, especially light old Gatorade bottles. No way to charge or change batteries if they die prematurely on the trail.

Have used Steripen in limited, short duration hikes and found it to work well. Will be using it on more extended hikes this summer to the Grand Canyon and the Yosemite high country. However, this might be something to try.

Still partial to MSR Miox for quick, on the trail treatment and MSR Autoflow (Gravity bag) for filling the water bladder or for evening camp use.

Bucho
02-12-2012, 13:47
I'm glad to see someone else has gotten into UV. I tried the steripen classic, it was defective and Hydro-Photon replaced it with another defective unit. I gave up at that point concluding that while it's a great idea Hydro-Photon simply didn't have the quality control.

Rain Man
02-16-2012, 11:37
Just saw the CamelBak "All Clear" last evening at REI. Looks as if it could be a great alternative among the many out there for treating water.

CamelBak FAQ page. (http://camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Purification/Faq/faq.aspx)
CNET review. (http://www.cnet.com/8301-13553_1-57378353-32/portable-uv-c-bottle-lights-the-way-to-clean-water/)

Rain:sunMan

moof53
02-16-2012, 11:51
I think the good thing about the Camelbak is that the bulb is protected. Never had an "accident" with the Steripen but the bulb is exposed. You have to be careful.

The bad thing about the Camelbak is that it is recommended for only the Camelbak "Tritan" bottle. It would probably work with anything that the cap will affix to but you are out of luck for anything but a wide mouth bottle. So those nice light Gatorade bottles are out. :)

rhjanes
02-16-2012, 11:53
I think the good thing about the Camelbak is that the bulb is protected. Never had an "accident" with the Steripen but the bulb is exposed. You have to be careful.

The bad thing about the Camelbak is that it is recommended for only the Camelbak "Tritan" bottle. It would probably work with anything that the cap will affix to but you are out of luck for anything but a wide mouth bottle. So those nice light Gatorade bottles are out. :)I was thinking that also, however I would just take the 60 seconds to treat that .75 liter. Then dump that treated H2O into the Gatorade bottle or a water blader, load up another .75 and another minute to treat that, repeat.

GrassyNoel
02-16-2012, 11:55
I just picked one of these up at REI and plan to use it for a section hike this weekend. I also have a Solio Bolt solar charger so, in theory, I can just keep recharging the All Clear via USB as I hike along, perpetually. Of course, there's not an easy way (without a lab) to tell if it works or not apart from getting sick!

rhjanes
02-16-2012, 11:56
I just picked one of these up at REI and plan to use it for a section hike this weekend. I also have a Solio Bolt solar charger so, in theory, I can just keep recharging the All Clear via USB as I hike along, perpetually. Of course, there's not an easy way (without a lab) to tell if it works or not apart from getting sick!Hope you have fun and will report back on the usage for us!

GrassyNoel
02-16-2012, 11:57
Will do, thanks, rhjanes!

GrassyNoel
02-20-2012, 13:15
Used the All Clear with success this weekend in Harriman State Park. After a grueling hike down and up the yellow trail from West Mountain shelter to a very beautiful (and delicious) stream, I was able to process 1.5L of water in less than 3 minutes. My only suggestion is to get the filter cap, otherwise the threads will be "contaminated" and increases the potential of negating the product all together. I wish the cap had a straw in it like other water bottle models, thus eliminating the problem, but all in all, a great product.

Spokes
02-20-2012, 13:42
Interesting. Takes about 5 hours to recharge, longer with solar. UV cap weighs 7 oz. no specs on what the .75L bottle weighs in at.

Just watched the All Clear Testing video. They're exploiting all the "bad electronics" vulnerabilities of the red light error prone SteriPen. Good for them!

yappy
02-20-2012, 13:47
I'm still carryg my trusty hiker but can't wait to c these two in the field

GrassyNoel
02-20-2012, 13:49
The good thing is that the battery is very robust, so chances are you'll be able to plug it into a wall sometime for a full charge. It's spec'd at 3 uses a day for 26 days on one charge, I believe. Good enough for me, at least.

Live_for_hiking
02-21-2012, 01:36
If you look at the REI page ... the total weight is listed as 1lbs 1 oz. That does not include the pre-filter cap. Seems a little heavy to me.

I'd guess that a bandana would work as a prefilter. Then just dry the threads.... ?

GrassyNoel
02-21-2012, 01:51
Yes, a bandana would work. I did get the filter cap, but I didn't have it with me last weekend. I used a plastic cup to get water from the stream, filtered it through a coffee filter, put it in the All Clear, then dumped it straight into my reservoir. I've not drank straight out of the All Clear. Now with the filter, I can dispose of the plastic bottle and fill right from the stream into the All Clear.