PDA

View Full Version : Solo Tent - 6'4" - 240 Pounds

Rightfoot
02-07-2012, 21:44
Help!!! I am looking to purchase a solo tent that will be comfortable for someone my size. I'm 6'4" and 240 pounds. I am looking for a 3-season tent, perhaps with a small vestibule, reasonably light, free standing and would like to stay around the $400ish range if possible. My bags are down and I am tired of rubbing the head and foot of the tent all night ending up with a damp bag. Any input?

Regards

bigcranky
02-07-2012, 21:56
Tarptent Rainbow? It should be plenty long enough.

miami
02-07-2012, 22:08
I am 6'-3" and use the MSR Hubba. Love the tent. Used it for a number of section hikes and will be taking it on the trail this year.

kevperro
02-07-2012, 23:06
I'd go with a Copper Spur. Very large solo tent, reasonable weight, mostly free-standing (you need to stake out fly) and in your budget.

atmilkman
02-07-2012, 23:37
I'm 6'6" 235 lbs. and I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 and absolutely love the tent. When I'm in the market for a new tent and since your asking about a solo tent, cosidering my size I am very seriously looking at the LightHeart SoLong 6. My UL2 is under 4lbs. and for the room it's great. But, the SoLong is under 2lbs and that's a big weight savings. I'm getting by just fine for now but more than likely will get that SoLong for myself and use the UL2 for the wife and I. It will make it easier for her. All the tents everbody has mentioned are great and get rave reviews but if you want to check out the SoLong got to http://www.lightheartgear.com/

Big Dawg
02-08-2012, 03:36
Help!!! I am looking to purchase a solo tent that will be comfortable for someone my size. I'm 6'4" and 240 pounds. I am looking for a 3-season tent, perhaps with a small vestibule, reasonably light, free standing and would like to stay around the $400ish range if possible. My bags are down and I am tired of rubbing the head and foot of the tent all night ending up with a damp bag. Any input?

Regards

I'm 6'5" 275#'s, and a good option is the Tarptent Moment (http://tarptent.com/moment.html). Get the liner to make it double wall. Get the extra pole to make it free standing. NO CHANCE of hitting the ends w/ your bag due to the long design. The floor is 84", but the overall length of tent canopy is 110". I recently got the Notch as well, and it's a similar design, but it's not free standing. Ok by me though, because I've never really needed free standing. The weight savings is worth it, and being able to use my hiking poles as support is a big plus.

Grinder
02-08-2012, 09:33
lightheart gear has one designed just for you biggies.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13

MedicineWoman2012
02-08-2012, 10:03
tarptent.com squall 2 is only 320z and very tough

Spools
02-08-2012, 10:12
+1 for the Lightheart Gear, I'm 6'2 240 and my LHG Wedge is plenty big. IMO it could sleep two in a pinch.

lush242000
02-08-2012, 13:31

Regards

I second the MSR Hubba. It has a front vestibule but if that is not enough you can buy a gear shed to go with it. The hubba is light - on the order of 3lbs or so, relatively cheap - $249, it is freestanding - you can stake it but you don't have to. It is easy to set up and take down. It come factory seamed and is ready to go right out of the bag. If you can, go to a REI and check out what they have. While the tarptent crowd is always quick to point you in their direction, you should know what a tarptent is and it's limitations. Do some research. Talk to people and see what they like and don't like about their gear.

Big Dawg
02-09-2012, 05:47
if you don't want to deal with this....

My bags are down and I am tired of rubbing the head and foot of the tent all night ending up with a damp bag.

....then don't buy this.

[QUOTE=lush242000;1250311] MSR Hubba. QUOTE]

I, at 6'5", know from experience.

ekeverette
02-09-2012, 06:15
b.a. copper sprur, ul 1.... great tent, 3lbs.

Rauguthj
02-09-2012, 11:09
+1 as well for Lightheart so-long 6. Light, room for a big guy and gear.

Monkeywrench
02-09-2012, 14:44
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13

The Solemates
02-09-2012, 21:33
i just got the big agnes fly creek UL2. its small compared to a lot of other tents, but i dont mind it because its also one of (if not the) lightest 2 man tents on the market. i'm 6'4" 220. i can comment on its durability - only time will tell. it does appear flimsy to me.