PDA

View Full Version : I guess everybody wants a pony...

Nightwalker
03-18-2005, 14:36
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/11171403.htm

Posted on Fri, Mar. 18, 2005

N.J. officials seek bear that killed pony

Associated Press

ANDOVER, N.J. - Wildlife officials set a trap, baited with bacon and molasses, in hopes of catching a bear Friday that killed a pony and dragged its carcass away.

"No other animal would have the strength to do that kind of harm," said Elaine Makatura, a spokeswoman for the Department of Environmental Protection.

The owner found the pony's body Thursday at her farm in Sussex County in northern New Jersey. The 15-year-old pony, named Phantom, suffered a broken neck and was dragged through two electric fences and up a hill.

Bear prints were found.

"It was a big, big print," Patrolman Rod Mosner said. "It's amazing (the bear) had that much strength and power to drag a pony that far." The pony weighed at least 250 pounds.

This time of year, bears are starting to leave the dens where they hibernated in winter, and spring plants have not grown enough to be a substantial food source, wildlife officials said.

SGT Rock
03-18-2005, 14:41
What does a 500 pound bear eat? :-?

Nightwalker
03-18-2005, 14:52
What does a 500 pound bear eat? :-?
All together now: ANYTHING IT WANTS!

SGT Rock
03-18-2005, 14:53
Exactly :banana

The Old Fhart
03-18-2005, 15:09
It really wasn't a bear. It was a disgruntled hiker trying to score points in the "do you use water filters/carcass in the drinking water" thread. :D

The Cheat
03-18-2005, 15:10
It really wasn't a bear. It was a disgruntled hiker trying to score points in the "do you use water filters/carcass in the drinking water" thread. :D
Now, THAT is funny! :jump

Nightwalker
03-18-2005, 16:36
I wanna see a snopes.com article on the dead deer/bear/raccoon/hiker upstream in the water before I actually believe it. It usually seems to be either a FOAF or a wild-eyed somebody or another that makes the claim. :eek:

The Old Fhart
03-18-2005, 17:58
franklooper-"It usually seems to be either a FOAF or a wild-eyed somebody or another that makes the claim."Seeing I was one of those people that saw 2 of these animals, one a moose, one an unidentifiable mass of bones and fur, I know it does happen. I think I have a photo of the moose but I may hold out to sell it to the National Enquirer and claim it is an alien. :D

Nightwalker
03-18-2005, 20:33
Seeing I was one of those people that saw 2 of these animals, one a moose, one an unidentifiable mass of bones and fur, I know it does happen. I think I have a photo of the moose but I may hold out to sell it to the National Enquirer and claim it is an alien. :D
Go for it. The Weekly World News might be better. I think that you'd likely agree with me, however, that the frequency of these reports is a bit higher than the statistical norm would suggest?

The worst thing near or in water that I've ever seen was a home-built hunter's privy about 20 feet from the Laurel Fork Creek near the Foothills Trail. It just about gakked me out. I just saw it this past Tuesday. I'm gonna take back a GPS as soon as I can and report it to the right folks so that the problem can be remedied. There ain't no way that can be legal!