PDA

View Full Version : First time ever hiking. Planning a 5 day hike in GA in May. Gear List Review?

ScubaSteve885
02-08-2012, 11:41
First, I don't know if this is the right spot for a gear list review and a few questions. If not, my apologies.

A friend and I are planning a 5 day hike from Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap. Since this is our first hike we're aiming for around 8 miles a day and to take in the views... We live in FL so it's pretty flat and boring. If we get to Neels Gap before 5 days, so be it. Just aiming for 5 days since it's our first hike.

Here's a link to my list of gear on geargrams. http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=6286

NOTE: I didn't buy any of this yet except for the 40 degree North Face sleeping bag for 52 bucks

I'm sure there's a few things I can get rid of. I'm not going ultralight or anything but saving money and saving weight would be really nice. My total pack including food and water is around 30lbs which doesn't seem bad for the first time.

Am I forgetting anything? Can anything be cut? Should I bring 1 pair of socks/underwear or 2 pair since it's my first time?

Also what's the weather like on the Trail in GA in May? Can i just wear gym shorts and if it rains, put on a Dri Ducks suit?

Oh one last thing, Should I buy the GoLite Quest bag for 80 bucks right now as in Today? Looks like it's onsale and a great deal and seems like one of the better options for me. Any other cheap suggestions?

Sorry for being so long and so many questions. Thanks to anyone that helps!

daddytwosticks
02-08-2012, 16:36
Didn't look at your list. Be aware May on the AT in Ga. can be a transition month. Can be very cold early on and hot by Memorial Day. When exactly are you going? :)

Spokes
02-08-2012, 16:48
Hmmm, this tried and true gear list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) (ignore the pop-up) will give you a 16-18 lb. cold weather pack instead of the 24.41 lb. pack you have now. Gloves and fleece hat are a given. I'd add a trash compactor bag as a pack liner.

Plan on 1.5- 2 lbs of food per day. Even just starting out you should be able to make Neels Gap in 3-4 days. No worries. Going slower is cool too.

Cheers!

scope
02-08-2012, 17:01
Might want to add a set of dry clothes - just light shirt/shorts. It can be a damp time of year. Also, a light jacket of some sort, depending on when you're going, early or late in the month. Personally, if you have a light puffy jacket - less weight than any other light jacket - I'd take it. If its too warm to use it, makes a nice pillow for either your head or under your knees in the hammock.

I question the amount of HEET that you have listed, but I don't use an alcohol stove.

ScubaSteve885
02-08-2012, 17:22
@daddytwosticks Thanks for the info. I'm not sure exactly when we're going. It'll most likely be first week of May . Guess I'll have to prepare for cold weather. Damn

@Spokes Thanks for the link. I've seen it before but didn't spend time looking into it. I'll see what I can do to make my pack lighter and possibly save some money. What's the trash compactor bag for? Waterproofing? Is that just one of those black garbage bags that i can get anywhere?

We're bringing a bunch of Mountain House MREs, one for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. I'm bringing protein bars and poptarts for each day and probably some peanuts and trailmix. I'll be carrying the food since my pack will be bigger. Sounds like a lot but I need to eat something about every 2 hours. I know the trail might be different but I can always adjust for future hikes.

TOMP
02-08-2012, 17:25
Yeah that seems like alot of fuel, I dont use alcohol either but if that is necessary it doesnt seem like anyone would choose alcohol over canister to save weight. I use about 1/4 weight in that time with canisters, even when cooking for 2 people I can use one 4 oz fuel canister for a week (boiling water only).

Yes buy the pack while its on sale, its a year end sale I think so wont be around till next year. That is if your sure about that pack. Golite Jams and Pinnacles seem to be more popular than quest. I personally dont prefer Golite.

Underwear- 1 will be skanky after 5 days but so will 2 pairs. I prefer none.

The nice thing about a 5 day hike is you dont have to skimp on ounces bring whatever luxury you want you wont be out there long enough for the weight to be an issue.

TOMP
02-08-2012, 17:28
What's the trash compactor bag for? Waterproofing? Is that just one of those black garbage bags that i can get anywhere?

Yup its a pack liner. And yeah its a 30 gallon type you see at home depot alot. Just get one and cut the top off because there is usually excess. I always use it in addition to a pack cover, because I want the pack itself to stay dry too. I sleep with it in my solo tent so I dont want the water touching my sleeping bag.

ScubaSteve885
02-08-2012, 17:30
@scope Thanks for the reply. I have some really light cotton shirts from target. Would that be good or should i just stick with the polyester stuff? I don't have any jackets. It never gets below 30 during the winter here in FL but when it does, it doesn't last long so i just wear a hoody. I have a decent 1/4 zip polyester jacket that's pretty warm. Would that suffice? I need my head up high or i get dizzy/vertigo type feeling so I was going to bring a decent pillow. I'm not sure how much HEET I would need for 5 days. Probably not a whole bottles worth but I don't want to mess anything up the first time.

ScubaSteve885
02-08-2012, 17:41
@ TOMP Thanks! Yea we will just be boiling water for our MRE's. I guess we don't need the whole bottle. I saw some pretty cool fuel containers. I'll probably get an 8oz one. I'm pretty set on the pack. It seems great for my price range and has an internal frame. I was thinking of jam or Pinnacle but read that first timers shouldn't really go frameless. I'll get an internal frame now and whenever i decide to go ultralight, get a frameless.

Haha i never free-balled so I'm sticking with the underwear for now. I'll probably bring a good book or two to read. One was Hammock Camping and the other was How to **** in the Woods. Thought they'd be pretty entertaining. I'll look into the trash bag next time I'm at home depot

ScubaSteve885
02-08-2012, 17:57
Almost forgot, is there a raincover for the GoLite bags? And would the 40 degree bag be warm enough in early May?

TOMP
02-08-2012, 18:06
Almost forgot, is there a raincover for the GoLite bags? And would the 40 degree bag be warm enough in early May?

http://store.mpgear.com/browseproducts/GoLite-Ultralight-Pack-Cover.html

I think it would be warm enough I would check the highest and lows averages for the area. But no one but you can really answer that because warmth is really a personal thing.

ScubaSteve885
02-08-2012, 18:14
http://store.mpgear.com/browseproducts/GoLite-Ultralight-Pack-Cover.html

I think it would be warm enough I would check the highest and lows averages for the area. But no one but you can really answer that because warmth is really a personal thing.

Thanks for the link! I thought i searched long enough but i guess not. I'll look into the average temperatures for that area.

Looks like I might need to add 2lbs to my bag and get a BearVault... Theyre apparently mandatory now.. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80860-bear-proof-containers.

MJW155
02-08-2012, 18:22
And would the 40 degree bag be warm enough in early May?

If you are a Florida native, it's probably not going to be warm enough.

MJW155
02-08-2012, 18:27
Thanks for the link! I thought i searched long enough but i guess not. I'll look into the average temperatures for that area.

Looks like I might need to add 2lbs to my bag and get a BearVault... Theyre apparently mandatory now.. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80860-bear-proof-containers.

From what I understand, that's only if you camp in a 5 mile section of the trail. I wouldn't really worry about it.

TOMP
02-08-2012, 18:39
From what I understand, that's only if you camp in a 5 mile section of the trail. I wouldn't really worry about it.

Yeah im not sure if you are joking about getting a bear vault, but dont get one just dont camp on this stretch.

Blissful
02-08-2012, 20:32
Will need a bear proof container, a good idea. it is NOT just a 5 mile stretch it goes way beyond that...hikers had stuff taken north of Neels etc

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 00:30
If you are a Florida native, it's probably not going to be warm enough.

Not a Florida native. Born in PA but i still hate cold weather. I had on shorts and tshirt, it was about 60 tonight and windy and it was chilly lol.

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 00:42
I'm leaning toward bearvault just so i dont have to deal with having a place to hang a bag even though it doesn't seem complicated. And it seems like better protection against other critters. I also heard they're good camp seats

Apparently I already have a fleese jacket so i won't have to buy that! I found the average temps were about a high in the low 70's and a low in the 40's. I'll probably end up bundling up if I get cold but i do sleep kind of hot.

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 00:48
Okay another question lol. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get a shuttle from Neels Gap to Amicalola? I found the list of all the shuttles but didn't see any pricing on their websites. I'm thinking it would be better to drive to Neels Gap the night before, sleep in the car, get a shuttle to Amicalola the next morning and hike back to the car.

MJW155
02-09-2012, 02:40
Okay another question lol. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to get a shuttle from Neels Gap to Amicalola? I found the list of all the shuttles but didn't see any pricing on their websites. I'm thinking it would be better to drive to Neels Gap the night before, sleep in the car, get a shuttle to Amicalola the next morning and hike back to the car.

Get in touch with Hiker Hostel. Pretty sure they will give you the best deal all around.

Don't waste money w/ a bear vault unless you don't care about blowing $80. Seriously. Just use a bear bag and don't stay overnight in that 5 mile corridor.

RetroGear
02-09-2012, 03:23
We're bringing a bunch of Mountain House MREs, one for breakfast, lunch and dinner each day.

Most of the foods that Mountain House makes are freeze-dried, which are not the same thing as MREs (although Mountain House used to, maybe still does, provide freeze-dried food to the U.S. military). If you're planning on bringing MREs (as in, USGI Meals Ready-to-Eat), be advised that they're pretty heavy, especially if you'll be the one carrying all the food. Assuming that you're really planning on using MH freeze-dried food, you can save money by having something like microwave oatmeal (add boiling water, let sit for a few minutes, almost the same as if microwaved), pop tarts, etc., for breakfast and soup or ramen for lunch. If you save the freeze-dried food for dinner only, you'll significantly reduce your food cost. OTOH, MREs are fairly inexpensive.

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 11:09
Get in touch with Hiker Hostel. Pretty sure they will give you the best deal all around.

Don't waste money w/ a bear vault unless you don't care about blowing $80. Seriously. Just use a bear bag and don't stay overnight in that 5 mile corridor.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I guess stop anywhere from Gooch Gap, Woody Gap or Miller Gap. We don't have to stay at a shelter right? I can hang my hammock anywhere and friend can tent up wherever is flat

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 11:15
Most of the foods that Mountain House makes are freeze-dried, which are not the same thing as MREs (although Mountain House used to, maybe still does, provide freeze-dried food to the U.S. military). If you're planning on bringing MREs (as in, USGI Meals Ready-to-Eat), be advised that they're pretty heavy, especially if you'll be the one carrying all the food. Assuming that you're really planning on using MH freeze-dried food, you can save money by having something like microwave oatmeal (add boiling water, let sit for a few minutes, almost the same as if microwaved), pop tarts, etc., for breakfast and soup or ramen for lunch. If you save the freeze-dried food for dinner only, you'll significantly reduce your food cost. OTOH, MREs are fairly inexpensive.

My friend was thinking of buying some military MREs since they have so many calories but they do seem heavy. Are there any other options for a filling breakfast instead of oatmeal? I can't think of anything. I don't eat oatmeal b/c i always feel sick afterward. I'll add ramen to that list. That'll be a good lunch.

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 13:56
Yet another question. Is it hunting season? Or should i not even worry about it?

TOMP
02-09-2012, 14:34
Filling breakfast- I guess just energy bars, granola, and those powdered breakfast drinks. Boil some eggs if you want a real treat, also mountain house makes powdered omelets and such. And of course cereal with powdered milk.

Hunting Season- It is illegal to hunt directly on the AT, so without even bothering to check I can say NO. It is also illegal to shoot across any marked state or national trail. Stay on the trail and it wont be an issue not matter what season.

Hoop
02-09-2012, 14:54
Looks like your proposed five days allows for plenty of downtime for it, but unless eating hots is your thing, don't think you need to cook at every mealtime. Plenty of simple fast nutritious choices that don't involve heat.

MJW155
02-09-2012, 15:09
Thanks, that makes sense.

I guess stop anywhere from Gooch Gap, Woody Gap or Miller Gap. We don't have to stay at a shelter right? I can hang my hammock anywhere and friend can tent up wherever is flat

No you don't have to stay at a shelter. Most people stay there because it's usually near a water source.

It also won't be hunting season in May but you still need to watch out for crazy hillbillies with guns!

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 15:44
Filling breakfast- I guess just energy bars, granola, and those powdered breakfast drinks. Boil some eggs if you want a real treat, also mountain house makes powdered omelets and such. And of course cereal with powdered milk.

Hunting Season- It is illegal to hunt directly on the AT, so without even bothering to check I can say NO. It is also illegal to shoot across any marked state or national trail. Stay on the trail and it wont be an issue not matter what season.

Those Mountain House eggs look really good and a nice sized serving. Thanks for the hunting info. I read a story (don't remember where) where some lady walking her dog got shot because the hunter thought her dog's tail was a deer...

Looks like your proposed five days allows for plenty of downtime for it, but unless eating hots is your thing, don't think you need to cook at every mealtime. Plenty of simple fast nutritious choices that don't involve heat.

Yea I'm giving us 5 days for the trip. If we finish early, we'll probably make a camp somewhere, chill out and enjoy the scenery

No you don't have to stay at a shelter. Most people stay there because it's usually near a water source.

It also won't be hunting season in May but you still need to watch out for crazy hillbillies with guns!

We'll probably stay somewhere close to the shelters just for the water in that case.

haha always have to be on the lookout for hillbillies with guns

Spokes
02-09-2012, 15:54
@Spokes Thanks for the link. I've seen it before but didn't spend time looking into it. I'll see what I can do to make my pack lighter and possibly save some money. What's the trash compactor bag for? Waterproofing? Is that just one of those black garbage bags that i can get anywhere?

Nope- They are "Trash Compactor" bags and used as a waterproof liner inside your pack. Much thicker than other trash bag liners and pretty much bomb proof. Don't waste your time on the regular everyday trash bags (=crap).

Look for these in your grocery store:

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 16:13
Nope- They are "Trash Compactor" bags and used as a waterproof liner inside your pack. Much thicker than other trash bag liners and pretty much bomb proof. Don't waste your time on the regular everyday trash bags (=crap).

Look for these in your grocery store:

thanks for clearing that up. I'll definitely look for those next time i'm out.

What about gaiters? Are they even necessary?

Spokes
02-09-2012, 16:15
I like ankle gaiters, others despise them. They keep all the crap out of my shoes/boots.

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 16:41
I like ankle gaiters, others despise them. They keep all the crap out of my shoes/boots.

I'll probably get a pair incase it rains and it's muddy. I was looking around and Dirty Girl Gaiters are the cheapest for $20 bucks.

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/empireofdirt.html

TOMP
02-09-2012, 16:43
Gaiters- well most dont use them anymore, but I like them. My suggestion is get a light pair that go about mid shin high and decide for yourself. I like them because they get muddy and not my pants. I will only bring one pair of pants so if they are muddy then my sleeping bag getting muddy too.

Hooch
02-09-2012, 16:46
If you're hammock hanging, what are you using for underside insulation? A 40 degree bag may or may not cut it, depending on the weather/temperatures. Remember, you'll have a harder time staying warm, so I'd highly suggest returning your bag and going up to a 20 degree bag. But, of course, HYOH and enjoy your hike.

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 19:37
If you're hammock hanging, what are you using for underside insulation? A 40 degree bag may or may not cut it, depending on the weather/temperatures. Remember, you'll have a harder time staying warm, so I'd highly suggest returning your bag and going up to a 20 degree bag. But, of course, HYOH and enjoy your hike.

I was just going to use a pad from walmart. Had a feeling this 40 degree bag wouldnt be warm enough. Only bought it cuz i thought it was a good deal and i would just dress warm when i sleep

ScubaSteve885
02-09-2012, 23:47
hmm i think i need some guidance for a new sleeping bag.

Theres an ALPS Mountaineering 20 degree synthetic bag for 36 bucks but its 3lbs 12oz. Or a Marmot 30 degree down bag for 72 bucks thats 2lbs 5oz

scope
02-10-2012, 00:15
@scope Thanks for the reply. I have some really light cotton shirts from target. Would that be good or should i just stick with the polyester stuff? I don't have any jackets. It never gets below 30 during the winter here in FL but when it does, it doesn't last long so i just wear a hoody. I have a decent 1/4 zip polyester jacket that's pretty warm. Would that suffice? I need my head up high or i get dizzy/vertigo type feeling so I was going to bring a decent pillow. I'm not sure how much HEET I would need for 5 days. Probably not a whole bottles worth but I don't want to mess anything up the first time.

You just need something you can crawl into your bag with if you're main clothes are wet. If you are wet, its not like you're going to have a chance to towel off. Your dry set of clothes will get a little wet and if cotton, they won't dry. Those target shirts might seem real light now, but they won't be when damp. You can get some cheap polyester shirts/pants and target or old navy.

Pillow - you're in a hammock, you're head is already going to be a little high. I take a very thin, cheap pillow that is mostly so my head has some insulation and not laying right against the hammock. Take the pillow you've got, though, you might use it under your knees.

MkBibble
02-10-2012, 16:31
I'm leaning toward bearvault just so i dont have to deal with having a place to hang a bag even though it doesn't seem complicated.

Some of the best entertainment all day!

ScubaSteve885
02-10-2012, 20:57
^^ LOL

I changed my mind. I think it'll be better to just stop before the 5 mile area and hang a bear bang in the tree. Looking forward to that entertainment.

As for insulation, I think I'll keep my 40 degree bag. I'm going to change the pad that I bring .

Theres the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOlite for $30 with an R-value or 2.8 or a Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Solar for $40 with an R-value of 3.5. Not sure if that'll make a huge difference or if I should upgrade to the 20 degree bag??

MJW155
02-10-2012, 21:11
^^ LOL

I changed my mind. I think it'll be better to just stop before the 5 mile area and hang a bear bang in the tree. Looking forward to that entertainment.

As for insulation, I think I'll keep my 40 degree bag. I'm going to change the pad that I bring .

Theres the Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOlite for $30 with an R-value or 2.8 or a Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Solar for $40 with an R-value of 3.5. Not sure if that'll make a huge difference or if I should upgrade to the 20 degree bag??

You live in Florida. Just get the 20 degree bag. I live near Ft. Lauderdale. Florida people think 60 is cold. The cold air WILL keep you up if you are not warm enough. If it's too warm, just use it as a blanket instead of getting inside the shell.

As far as the bear bag goes, just tie a knot around a baseball size rock and toss it over a branch. Then tie the food to the rope and hoist it up w/ the other end.

ScubaSteve885
02-10-2012, 21:21
You live in Florida. Just get the 20 degree bag. I live near Ft. Lauderdale. Florida people think 60 is cold. The cold air WILL keep you up if you are not warm enough. If it's too warm, just use it as a blanket instead of getting inside the shell.

As far as the bear bag goes, just tie a knot around a baseball size rock and toss it over a branch. Then tie the food to the rope and hoist it up w/ the other end.

You're right about people thinking 60 is cold.. It probably was about 65 the other day and I overheard some girl saying she was freezing. I'll get the 20 degree bag. It's only 35 bucks! Unless i can find a Kelty Cosmic down for $70 somewhere. I think the bear bag I'm looking at comes with some rope and a little pouch to put a rock in it.

ScubaSteve885
02-10-2012, 22:55
Gaiters- well most dont use them anymore, but I like them. My suggestion is get a light pair that go about mid shin high and decide for yourself. I like them because they get muddy and not my pants. I will only bring one pair of pants so if they are muddy then my sleeping bag getting muddy too.

Man thanks for that geartrade site you told me about in my other thread. Freakin awesome!! I bought some Montrail Masochists on there for 44 bucks and an Alps Mountaineering 20 degree bag for 36 bucks.

TOMP
02-10-2012, 23:00
Man thanks for that geartrade site you told me about in my other thread. Freakin awesome!! I bought some Montrail Masochists on there for 44 bucks and an Alps Mountaineering 20 degree bag for 36 bucks.

Yeah its my personal favorite, also all items posted by backcountry.com will lower in price by about 50 cents per day until they are sold. So if you can wait it out you can get an even better deal.

ScubaSteve885
02-10-2012, 23:13
Yeah its my personal favorite, also all items posted by backcountry.com will lower in price by about 50 cents per day until they are sold. So if you can wait it out you can get an even better deal.

You mean their outlet store or their whole site? That's a good bit of info to know

TOMP
02-10-2012, 23:27
No on geartrade.com about 90 percent of the posted items are listed as from seller backcountry (this is backcountry.com trying to sell the items that people returned without tags so they cant be resold as new items). These items will lower in price, about 50 cents a day, until they are sold.

Most of the gear I have is second hand stuff that people returned and I was able to get at about 50-70 percent off. All of the stuff I got has been in new/ never used condition.

ScubaSteve885
02-10-2012, 23:49
No on geartrade.com about 90 percent of the posted items are listed as from seller backcountry (this is backcountry.com trying to sell the items that people returned without tags so they cant be resold as new items). These items will lower in price, about 50 cents a day, until they are sold.

Most of the gear I have is second hand stuff that people returned and I was able to get at about 50-70 percent off. All of the stuff I got has been in new/ never used condition.

Ohh okay, gotcha. Was wondering why a lot of items said something like "customer returned item, nothing wrong" or tag missing. I'll be checking that site every day now