PDA

View Full Version : read this>> concerning hobbies (hiking)

rowan
02-08-2012, 13:04
Although it is sometimes a chore to grind through the beautiful vocabulary within it, Aldo Leopold's "Sand County Almanac" is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites. I read it (or at least said I did) in college, but I am in the process of re-examining this classic piece to get what worth I can out of it. In my opinion Leopold had a gift for writing and vocalizing the interconnected beauty that is so hard to put into words. After a breathtaking solo hike, my description may only be that "the view was too good for words", whereas he could actually put that view into words that could be digested and related to.

The reason for this post, however, is to share an excerpt out of this book called "A Man's Leisure Time." It concerns hobbies. What is the difference between a hobby and a chore? What makes a hobby enjoyable? Why the hell do we enjoy roping mile after mile through the woods when walking a half of a mile to the grocery store is such a royal pain? I'll start with a quote then leave a link to read the whole thing,

"Nonconformity is the highest evolutionary attainment of social animals, and will grow no faster than other new functions. Science is just beginning to discover what incredible regimentation prevails among the "free" saves and the freer mammals and birds. A hobby is perhaps creation's first denial of the "peck-order" that burdens the gregarious universe, and of which the majority of mankind is still a part."

http://books.google.com/books?id=N-EXJdLpfSAC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=aldo+leopold+a+man's+leisure+time&source=bl&ots=kE-BLuMqH8&sig=ta1BTdFuKGbWr0iDkqWi7Scz-Po&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fKgyT6WGBNGEtgfj8MWIBw&ved=0CGQQ6AEwBg

:banana

Spokes
02-08-2012, 14:05
Falconry- now that's a hobby.

Thanks for sharing rowan.

rocketsocks
02-08-2012, 14:58
Hey Rowan, thanks for posting.Can you expand on these little (big) jewels.