PDA

View Full Version : What are you wearing?

SCGamecock
02-08-2012, 14:34
It's mid-March and you're thru-hiking the AT, NOBO, starting at Springer. It's 25 degrees and the sun is shining. What are you wearing to hike in, head to toe? With weight of each item if you know it.

Still, it's mid-March and you're thru-hiking the AT, NOBO, starting at Springer. It's 33 degrees and it's raining. What are you wearing to hike in, head to toe? With weight of each item if you know it.

moof53
02-08-2012, 14:59
Here you go. I think most will not care for my boot choice but I have used a heavy boot for ever. I've tried lighter over the years but found them lacking in either protection or durability. Sunny and 251. Smartwool merino beanie2. Smartwool 250 weight, long sleeve zip T3. Arcteryx Beta AR shell4. Railriders Versa-tec mid pants5. Smartwool boxer briefs6. Old military wool glove inserts7. Lowa Tibet Pro boots8. Kifaru KU3700 Ultra Light pack9. Leki Corklight Speedlock polls10. Watch11. Glasses33 degrees and rain1. Smartwool merino beanie2. Smartwool 250 weight, long sleeve zip T3. Arcteryx Beta AR shell5. Smartwool micro weight long johns6. Marmot precip rain pants7. Old military wool glove inserts inside Petzel climbing gloves8. Lowa Tibet Pro boots9. Kifaru KU3700 Ultra Light pack10. Leki Corklight Speedlock polls11. Watch12. Glasses

moof53
02-08-2012, 15:00
Sorry about the formatting. The program ran it all together when I posted.

JAK
02-08-2012, 15:03
Weight doesn't matter when delayered, since you still carry it in the pack. The important thing is to be dressed efficiently, in even layers, when you are in the worst conditions you have planned for, and are less active to conserve energy or because you are tired. Things need to be comfortable when delayered, but only optimal when fully layered.

TOMP
02-08-2012, 15:09
25 degrees- My new La Sportiva FC ECO 4.0 GTX boots (2lbs), Homemade gaiters (1.6 oz), wool socks (2.5 oz), NB running tights (6 oz), Asics running shorts over that (3 oz), merino wool long sleeve running shirt (7 oz), patagonia down sweater vest (7.5 oz), wool hat (2.5 oz) if I am cold, gloves (6oz) if I am cold. This my current winter long distance running setup so I know it will be ok in cold conditions (without gaiters and boots)

When I am hiking I am usually warm so I may not wear a hat and gloves until I stop. When I stop for camp I will switch into my fleece heavyweight long johns (8 oz).

33 degrees raining- Switch down sweater for rain shell (16 oz) all else same as above.

Spokes
02-08-2012, 15:32
Here's a complete cold weather clothing system (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). Gloves/fleece cap are a given. Add a 100 weight fleece if you want. Tweak for summer and go way lighter.

I agree with JAK. Weight doesn't matter when delayering.

Bronk
02-09-2012, 06:10
From inside out...tshirt and boxer shorts, long sleeve fleece and fleece vest, nylon jogging pants, rain jacket with hood, good pair of socks with liners, gloves and a knit cap. When its not raining I take the jacket off unless I'm really cold, but that will only be the first 20 minutes of hiking before I warm up. When the sun comes out I take the fleece vest off. If it gets up to 40 I'm in a pair of shorts and a tshirt.

Its not really rocket science...if you're too warm (sweating) then take something off...if you're too cold, add something...but take clothes off before they are soaked in sweat and put them back on before you get too cold...much harder to warm up once you've gotten a chill and your clothes won't do you much good when you get to camp if they are soaking wet.

bigcranky
02-09-2012, 08:45
25 is unusually cold for daytime in March at Springer, except maybe very early in the morning. It'll generally warm up during the day. But ok.

1. Long sleeve 150-wt merino wool base layer, microfleece zip tee mid layer, ultralight wind shirt, hiking shorts, 150-wt merino wool long john bottoms, mid-weight wool socks, waterproof/breathable trail runners, fleece beanie, windblock fleece gloves. If it were really windy, I would wear my rain shell over all this. (Under more normal daytime hiking conditions, I would lose the mid layer and long john bottoms, and wear lighter gloves.)

2. 33 and raining is the worst possible weather for a hike, in my experience. You're going to get wet, no matter what. I'd wear my light base layer top, rain shell, rain mitts, boxer briefs, and rain shell pants with w/b gaiters. Light wool beanie and the rain shell hood. Wearing this will keep me reasonably comfortable while I am moving -- but I can't stop during the day very easily. I'd put high-calorie snacks in my pockets, easily accessible, to keep myself fueled up during the day.

The key to making this work is to realize that you are at a very high risk of hypothermia, especially when you stop. Have a plan to get into shelter - either in a trail shelter or by setting up a tent. Then strip off all your wet clothing and put on dry layers as quickly as possible. Fire up the stove and make a hot drink. (What? You're not carrying any spare clothing or a stove? Because you're "ultralight?" In the winter? Hmmm.) Keep a close eye on the other hikers with you -- look for the "umbles" -- that is, stumbling, mumbling, and grumbling. All signs that the brain is shutting down from hypothermia.

Rayo
02-10-2012, 15:42
WHAT I'M WEARING:

In cold:

Polyester Pants (w/ long john's if real cold)
Polyester Compression Shorts
Darn Tough Socks
Salomon XA 3D Pro shoes
Midweight Merino LS Shirt (w/long john top if real cold)
Merino t-shirt
Fleece Hat
Glove liners

In cold/rain:
Same as above w/ Parka Jacket

On Hike Naked Day:
a smile (haha)

louisb
02-10-2012, 16:25
Darn Tough Socks

Recently bought a couple pair of these and they are great. I even wear them around the house.

--louis

Slo-go'en
02-10-2012, 16:44
I don't wear much as long as I'm moving, no matter what the temp is. Even at 10 below I don't wear as much as some of you are saying for 30. Too much clothes = too much sweat, even when it's cold. But of course, if you stop for more than a few minutes, you need something warm to throw on if its cold out.

The Solemates
02-10-2012, 17:04
It's mid-March and you're thru-hiking the AT, NOBO, starting at Springer. It's 25 degrees and the sun is shining. What are you wearing to hike in, head to toe? With weight of each item if you know it.

nothing on my head unless the wind is blowing, then i'll wear a windproof fleece hat
long sleeve t-shirt
long sleeve midweight t-neck zip fleece
pants with underwear built in
synthetic socks
merrell trail runners

Still, it's mid-March and you're thru-hiking the AT, NOBO, starting at Springer. It's 33 degrees and it's raining. What are you wearing to hike in, head to toe? With weight of each item if you know it.

marmot precip (with hood on)
long sleeve t-shirt
maybe a long zleeve midweight t-neck zip fleece, unless i get too hot in it
shorts with underwear built in
marmot precip rainpants
synthetic socks
merrell trail runners

Smooth & Wasabi
02-11-2012, 00:00

Trail runners
Dirty girl gaiters
light synth/wool low cut socks
synth/wool boxer briefs
light shortsleeve synth/wool top
zipped off shorts or light running

(may remove below after metabolism kicks up)
synth/wool liner gloves
buff type headgear if windy

in pockets or very handy for windy conditions pat houdini windshirt and zip off legs or light windpants

Rain Jacket
Rain pants (probably)
light synth/wool base layer (short or long)
synth/wool boxer briefs
Shorts (probably)
thin synth/wool socks
UL wp/b mittens
dirty girls
trail runners

Just in case (dept handy but weatherproofed)
buff type headwear
synth/wool liner gloves
waterproof or VBL sock

ScottC
02-12-2012, 21:17
Definitely Orange, not Garnet. GO TIGERS!!!

Chummin' for Bear
02-12-2012, 22:31
NB 814 shoes - 27 oz
Thorlo Socks - 3 oz
Ex Officio boxer briefs - 3 oz
Montbell UL Wind Pants - 3 oz
Mountain Hardwear Wicked Lite T-Shirt - 5 oz
Ex Officio Booney Hat - 3 oz
Wool mittens - 5 oz

If 33 degrees and raining, add:
Zpacks Cuben Poncho - 5 oz
Swap mittens for extra socks - 3 oz

When stopping, add Montbell Thermawrap jacket - 10 oz and/or WM Flight Down Vest - 8 oz

MJW155
02-12-2012, 22:38
My shoes/socks/shorts don't change either way.

If I'm REALLY cold, I'll put long johns on under my shorts. But I usually hike in shorts even if it's 20 degrees out or raining.

Long sleeve shirt and wool hat. Once I start to warm up, I take the hat off. When it's raining, I put on rain jacket.

For me, the trick is to only stop for 5 minutes at a time.

DogPaw
02-29-2012, 14:15
My usual garb. Roughspun longcoat, multiple shirts beneath, military styled canvas pants, a brimmed hat since I'm photosensitive, wicking layers underneath. If it's snowing/raining, I'll trade the longcoat for a leather coat.

mirabela
03-03-2012, 14:38
I agree, 25F in the daytime is far from typical. But, at those temps, assuming no precipitation, and no unusual wind, I'd be hiking in light synthetic long undies, shell pants, and a long sleeve synth top. Maybe a fuzzy headband over my ears. Maybe some liner gloves on the hands. Socks & boots, obviously, and gaiters if I brought them. I'd be throwing on a light puffy layer and a hat at breaks.

You won't see daytime temps like that very often, though. I thru-hiked starting March 10, and I was in shorts nearly every day except when it rained.

handlebar
03-03-2012, 16:48
Sunny and 25 degrees: I'm wearing an Icebreaker 150 weight T shirt, Ex-Officio boxer briefs, Mountain Hardware Kommando kilt, Smartwool mid-weight socks, Integral Designs e-Vent shortie gaiters, and my LaSportiva Makalu boots. (Yes, the boots are heavy, but my feet are still comfortable after 25 miles). Since it's sunny, I'll probably be wearing my Tilley ventilator hat. Probably also some smartwool glove liners. Hat and gloves are probably going into pockets when I heat up and back on when I cool down.

Raining and 33 degrees: In addition to the above, I have on my Integral Designs eVent Hiker jacket with the hood pulled over my hat, my Mountain Laurel Designs rain wrap, and MLD eVent mittens over the glove liners.

q-tip
06-15-2012, 09:33
I add a garbage bag rain shirt, this works great in 30 degree sideways rain, blocks out all the wind and helps me stay warm,

Another Kevin
09-23-2012, 14:07
I'm a clueless weekender, but if I'm starting up a local trail and it's 25 degrees and otherwise nice? Lightweight wicking long johns and long-sleeve zip-T, fleece shirt, wind jacket, nylon convertible pants, and my usual combination of cheap polyester dress socks and wool socks under leather boots. Tuque, gloves, maybe a buff because I don't like the wind blowing down the back of my neck. Gaiters if it's sloppy or brushy enough. Microspikes if I need traction.

33 degrees and rainy? Pull a Frogg Togs rainsuit over the rest, and I might replace the long johns with boxer briefs and go to the short-sleeved wicking T-shirt. Because the rainsuit gets surprisingly warm when I'm hiking, and that way I have dry long johns to change into.

In either set of conditions, there's a pair of fleece lounge pants in the pack, and a down puffy-jacket in a compresssion sack in there too. And dry socks - both layers.

No recognizable brand names on anything - it's all from Target, Job Lot, and the Salvation Army. I could probably go a few ounces lighter if I spent a couple hundred bucks more. For a real hiker, that might be worth it, but I'm just a clueless weekender and have better things to spend my money on.

Drybones
09-24-2012, 14:01
Wind?????? more important than the temp., I will assume no wind.

25 degrees
Lightweight wool short sleeve tee
North Face convertible pants
Patagonia boxers
Icebreaker wool low socks
Treksta mid lightweight shoe

33 degrees
Add lightweight wool long sleeve base layer top, poncho, Serius lightweight gloves.

SCGamecock
11-17-2012, 13:31
Definitely Orange, not Garnet. GO TIGERS!!!

Almost showtime. One week away.

RCBear
11-17-2012, 20:41
Still wearing my Cocks cap, cocks paracord survival bracelet and cocks sweatshirt. Just like next Saturday when we hammer our perennial foe from that other conference :)

dornstar
11-18-2012, 01:10
I'm usually run on the hot side, so I just layer up.

Top...
Under Armour Cold Gear 2.0 baselayer
Marmot DriClime Windshirt

If I need more, I would just add a Patgonia Capilene shirt, followed by a fleece and then in an emergency my Frogg Togg DriDuck rain gear. Together, those layers can handle much lower than 25.

Bottom...
Walmart Starter underwear
Under Armour Cold Gear 1.0
Prana Stretch Zion pants

Never really need to add more for my legs.

Feet...
Smarthool Phd
Merrill Moab Ventilator Mid

Gloves & Hat - Rocky ultralight gloves and baklava from Dick's

Praha4
01-04-2013, 12:08
25 deg. sunny:

Gordini Stretch Lavawool skullcap
Cheap sunglasses
Ibex 150-wt zip-neck merino wool LS hiking shirt
Patagonia R1 Pullover top
Nike lightweight runners gloves
Golite hiking shorts
Patagonia Cap-2 base layer bottoms
Darn Tough Crew merino wool hiking socks
Montrail Badrock Outdry mids w/green superfeet inserts

33 degrees rain:
Gordini Stretch Lavawool skullcap
Ibex 150-wt zip-neck merino wool LS hiking shirt
Patagonia R1 zip neck pullover
Montbell Torrent Flier Goretex jacket
Nike lightweight runners gloves
Golite hiking shorts
Patagonia Cap-2 base layer bottoms
Golite Tumalo rain pants
Darn Tough Crew merino wool hiking socks
Montrail Badrock Outdry mids w/green superfeet inserts

* I'd be carrying the Montbell U/L Thermarwap jacket in my pack for quick extra insulating layer during cooldown rest stops

konradchen
01-08-2013, 16:30

25 and sunny...
Top: lightweight hooded wool baselayer (e.g., ibex indie) + down vest (e.g., patagonia down sweater vest) OR breathable fleece (e.g., patagonia r2)
Bottom: lightweight unlined softshell pants (e.g., marmot scree) + light leggings (e.g., icebreakers 150 wool OR patagonia capilene 2)

33 degrees and raining
Top: lightweight hooded wool baselayer+breathable fleece+rain jacket
Bottom: Lightweight unlined softshell pants+leggings+rain skirt OR light windpants (e.g., montbell dynamo)+ leggings. This keeps me warm even though I'll be a bit wet.

FarmerChef
01-08-2013, 16:52
25 and sunny? - Merino wool base layer top and bottom + running shorts (for the pockets and so I don't look quite naked) + microwool or synthetic beanie + very light gloves (like hunting gloves for $3 at the hardware store) + running socks on bottom (assuming there's no snow - if there's snow, I'm putting on my darn tough socks)

Yes, I would not wear an insulating outer at this temp because I run hot and would sweat it up inside, especially against my back. If I did get cold, I would throw on my midweight merino wool top and that would most certainly do it.

25 and rainy? - Same setup plus a poncho and tyvek pants but I'm going to be HOT in that setup and worried about sweating.

35 and sunny? - Lightweight merino bottom + shorts + tshirt (sometimes, no shirt) + socks and shoes.

Contrast this with my wife who has the same gear as I do but will step up one level of upper layering than me. So 25 degrees equals that midweight merino top on for her. And both of us have our fleece tops ready to grab if we stop for a break. That's when you start to get cold quick.