PDA

View Full Version : Which half of the trail is more challenging, the First or the Second?

Kookork
02-08-2012, 22:50
Let's for the purpose of this question say that any trail longer than 500 miles is a long trail to hike. The question is which half of trail you have found more challenging, the first half or the second?

I personally think the first half is more challenging both mentally and physically but like to know what is your take on this question?

By the way, If it is a repeated question and has been ask before , I love to know the result of the previous thread.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2012, 23:46
SOBO first half. NOBO second half. but either way is not really challenging physically. lot more mental

MJW155
02-09-2012, 02:42
1st part of hike is always more challenging b/c once you get to the halfway mark, you can rationalize decisions better.

Cookerhiker
02-09-2012, 07:27
First half of a long-distance hike is more challenging - and the first quarter is more challenging than the second quarter.

Mountain Mike
02-09-2012, 07:31
First half either way. By the time you hit tuff terrain NB you will either be in shape or off the trail. It seem to me that 600-800 miles is more the breaking pont for more hikers as the novelity wears off & will power has to prevail. At that point trerrain isn't so much an issue.

On The Road Again
02-09-2012, 07:56
First half. Whichever direction you head.

Tractor
02-09-2012, 07:58
First half but motivations and circumstances can sure change things can't they.

Jim Adams
02-09-2012, 08:01
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the middle half....it is all mental. That first quarter you are excited about the start of the hike and the last quarter you are excited about the finish but those 2 middle quatrters seem to just drag on.

geek

TOMP
02-09-2012, 08:12
After the trail is done you might say first or second. But while on the trail it has to be the half not done yet. Because once its over it doesnt really matter how hard it was cause its in the past.

aaronthebugbuffet
02-09-2012, 08:49
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the middle half....it is all mental. That first quarter you are excited about the start of the hike and the last quarter you are excited about the finish but those 2 middle quatrters seem to just drag on.geekI'm with you on that for mental toughness. That third quarter going north is a drag.

fiddlehead
02-09-2012, 09:37
Second half is always easier IMO.

Problems with 1st half: you have to get ready, pack everything, get a ride to the trail, hopefully you didn't forget anything, now, are you in shape? How much water to carry? Comfortable sleeping in a strange environment (be it desert, near the sea, strange country, in the mountains, by a creek, etc) A little scared of the unknowns? (ie: never been without your grits before?)(did somebody say "bears")(is the water safe?)

After half the trail, you have it all figured out and are more comfortable and sleeping better than you did in your bed at home, your equipment is dialed in, you know where you are, know to stay away from roads and popular camp sites, are simply "dialed in"
Blisters all healed and toughened, shoes not new anymore, you've learned how to use the compass (gps), can tell the temperature of your hot water for coffee by the sound from the pot, can find anything in your pack in 20 seconds in the dark, know exactly what you need to do when you get to the next town, and starting to get scared about it all being over in a few more months.

garlic08
02-09-2012, 09:42
For me, it's the first half as well. After I'm half way done, I get to cruise a little, enjoy the accomplishment, and feel like the whole thing is within reach.

It's probably a false use of statistics to look at the well-documented AT dropout rate. It's a pretty steep inverse curve, which suggests that the first 30 miles is very tough indeed.

blackbird04217
02-09-2012, 10:27
I think they are equally challenging, but for completely different reasons.

First half you are still breaking in your legs, body and equipment. Mentally after the initial week of "oh I'm actually doing this," you start thinking "oh why am I doing this?" You may not know the best routines for morning, lunch / breaks and evening. How to pack the pack was a mystery that took months to find the best 'all-around' way. But mentally it can be tough starting because of all the new muscle pains, and not seeing a lot of progress makes you wonder how you can reach the end.

The second half on the other hand you know your equipment, you have your trail legs but the fun has worn off. Well, I don't think the fun ever wears off, but the 'bad' days are worse mentally because instead of "ooh I just went through a hail storm in a tent!" you are now of the opinion "great, another hail storm, and sleepless night - long day tomorrow". You also get more angry at the ups and downs, especially those without views. Having crossed the halfway point you know you can make it, but you also know how much effort it will take to make it there.

I'd say it is equal with different challenges, so perhaps to some the different challenges can be harder/easier.

lemon b
02-09-2012, 11:56
First. Unless something happens with the weather.

Blissful
02-09-2012, 12:17
Both ends are. Except the finish - SOBO and the north end NOBO after Stratton, ME to the end...its exhilirating.

Slo-go'en
02-09-2012, 13:23
Kookork wasn't asking about the AT in perticular, but any long trail.

I would say the first half is more difficult physically, but the second half is more difficult mentally.

Cookerhiker
02-09-2012, 14:09
The other point is for us Eastern flatlanders, the first half challenges of hiking a high-elevation trail also include acclimation - definitely a factor for me in last year's CT thruhike.

But I guess that doesn't count since the OP asked about hikes >500 miles - mine was "only" 482.;)

Kookork
02-09-2012, 14:29
Second half is always easier IMO.

Problems with 1st half: you have to get ready, pack everything, get a ride to the trail, hopefully you didn't forget anything, now, are you in shape? How much water to carry? Comfortable sleeping in a strange environment (be it desert, near the sea, strange country, in the mountains, by a creek, etc) A little scared of the unknowns? (ie: never been without your grits before?)(did somebody say "bears")(is the water safe?)

After half the trail, you have it all figured out and are more comfortable and sleeping better than you did in your bed at home, your equipment is dialed in, you know where you are, know to stay away from roads and popular camp sites, are simply "dialed in"
Blisters all healed and toughened, shoes not new anymore, you've learned how to use the compass (gps), can tell the temperature of your hot water for coffee by the sound from the pot, can find anything in your pack in 20 seconds in the dark, know exactly what you need to do when you get to the next town, and starting to get scared about it all being over in a few more months.

What a great post fiddlehead.

I've found that the second half I start to understand how to enjoy the trail and not to be worried about unknowns of tomorrow.

Kookork
02-09-2012, 14:31
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the middle half....it is all mental. That first quarter you are excited about the start of the hike and the last quarter you are excited about the finish but those 2 middle quatrters seem to just drag on.

geek

You have a nice point. quarter wise I am with you.

Kookork
02-09-2012, 14:35
The other point is for us Eastern flatlanders, the first half challenges of hiking a high-elevation trail also include acclimation - definitely a factor for me in last year's CT thruhike.

But I guess that doesn't count since the OP asked about hikes >500 miles - mine was "only" 482.;)

I have no problem to reduce the entry level to 485 miles but 482? Noway.:)

jacquelineanngrant
02-09-2012, 16:21
It's all challenging! The first half is harder physically because your just beginning to hike, the second half is harder mentally because it's a long tedius trek. That being said, it's all fabulous!