PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a dog overnight in the winter?

trainhopper
02-09-2012, 01:06
This is very last minute but hopefully I will get some replies. I am going on an overnight tomorrow morning and want to bring my dog. He is a mutt with fairly short hair(big dog around 85lbs). The low is supposed to be 24 tomorrow night. We are staying in a shelter and I figure he will be fine if I bring a blanket for him to lay on. Should I be concerned with the dog and freezing temps?

Feral Bill
02-09-2012, 01:58
Does he sleep outside at home? If not, I wouldn't expect him to do so on a trip.

trainhopper
02-09-2012, 02:08
No, he never sleeps outside. I think I am going to play it safe and not bring him. On the curious side, is there anything you can do to prepare your dog for such conditions? Or is there anything you should bring, etc. to make it safe?

Bronk
02-09-2012, 05:54
On the curious side, is there anything you can do to prepare your dog for such conditions?

Dogs will adjust given time. Start making your dog sleep outside next summer and as the nights begin to get cooler the dog will adjust to it...but if you keep him inside one night it will throw off his metabolism and he'll probably be cold the next time you put him out, so you're really not doing them any favors by bringing them in on the coldest nights...they need consistancy to adjust...and don't leave them outside overnight without something in their food bowl...calories are what keep you warm and if they don't have something to eat they may get cold. I've had dogs that slept outside in the winter and loved it...I mean if I brought them in the house they would be scratching at the door wanting back out. My heeler wouldn't even sleep in her dog house unless it was raining hard...she'd find a place in the woods out of the wind and make a bed in a pile of leaves somewhere...didn't even care if it was snowing.

TOMP
02-09-2012, 06:30
you can teach your dog to sleep in a bag, thats what I did. She just cuddles in and then I zip her up. You can also let the dog sleep cuddled next to you and share some body heat. But I still dont bring her into freezing temps as I dont go there myself often anyway.

Sarcasm the elf
02-09-2012, 09:33
My buddy's border collie (extremely thick fur) goes backpacking with us year round. We bring a separate sleeping pad for him, a z-rest doubled over works well. Once he lays down we cover him with an mil-surplus synthetic fill poncho liner, on one sub-zero trip we took an extra 30 degree bag we had and wrapped him in that instead. As others have said, dogs are like any other hiker, they have to work up to being out in the elements. Our dogs went three season backpacking with us for a couple years before we considered a winter trip.

Fiddleback
02-09-2012, 12:08
I gotta say that 24° isn't very cold...YMMV.:D On the other hand, apparently neither the backpacker nor the dog seems to have any experience in the cold together and the pooch is a short hair so close awareness of the dog's reaction is warranted. Still, 24° in a shelter? It truly sounds like very little to worry about.

Our trail partner went on all of our trips. He was a 65 lb Samoyed (long hair) and never showed any stress from weather conditions of any season. But we were very careful, particularly in the summer heat and humidity of the MD/VA/WV region. During all the trips, he joined us in the 4-man Timeberline tent and found his own space near the tent's entrance. Same for our experience in Alaska where he shared our personal record of cold weather camping, -25°.

Always be vigilant for any kind of stress signs from the pup...let him cuddle if he wants. In the temperate, in-shelter conditons posted he should be just fine.

FB

quilteresq
02-09-2012, 14:08
I would think that dog pad and blanket for the top would work better - that what we did with our dog when she was willing to camp - she'll just throw off her blanket if she's too warm.

LIhikers
02-12-2012, 00:23
My wife and I have camped with our dog down into the teens. First, we use a tent as it will be warmer than an open air shelter. Next, we have a pad for the dog to lay on. It gets her up off the cold ground so it helps her stay warm. We also have a coat for the dog that has some kind of insulation in it. And then last, we bring an old military surplus sleeping bag to put her in. And as others have said, sleep in contact with your pup and share some warmth. The dog carries her coat and pad in her pack and I carry the extra sleeping bag
I'd include a photo but I can't seem to find the right ones right now.

lostinfflood
02-12-2012, 07:44
My dogs take the cold much better than me. We are out every day and you get to know your dogs and what they can take. Yesterday we had snow in NJ and there was open water. My dogs laid down in the water to cool off and had icicles on them. The one Border Collie has a thick under coat and thrives in the cold. It's the summer that I don't take him for long , long hikes. I wouldn't hesitate to take them overnight with just something to lie down on.

10-K
02-12-2012, 10:57
I wouldn't hesitate to take my dog in 24* weather - we've already spent a few nights out colder than that this winter.

The biggest thing that I can think of is keeping him out of the wind more than what the temp is. For that reason we stay in my tent.

Also, just like me I keep him fed and hydrated.

ljcsov
02-12-2012, 11:30
Any recommendations for hiking dogs?? Especially when you can have colder weather?

I would really like to get a Rottweiler in the future since they seem pretty hardy.

Sarcasm the elf
02-12-2012, 13:19
Any recommendations for hiking dogs?? Especially when you can have colder weather?

I would really like to get a Rottweiler in the future since they seem pretty hardy.

Honestly get a shelter mutt, mixed breeds usually have less hereditary problems, are good all around dogs, are cheaper, and are always available. The best way to get a good hiking dog is to start by bringing your dog on short distances and going on long daily walks and then working up to longer trips. There are some dogs that won't do well hiking, but this whole "best breed for hiking" stuff is largely nonsense.

With regard to Rottweilers, I love them, but they're not for everyone and especially not a good first dog, they are too powerful and too naturally protective for a novice owner, they need an experienced owner who can provide consistent leadership and obedience training (not sure what your experience level is so I just thought I'd throw it out there). Also, most insurance companies that provide homeowners and renters insurance won't issue/renew you a policy if they know you have a Rottweiler (again, not something that I agree with, just something you have to be aware of.)

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 13:40
I second one of the previous posts 85 lbs and short hair requires a Velcro fleese around the core of the dog's bod. They are available at this time of year at most Pet Smart and big pet stores - I hate the color choice though......

ljcsov
02-12-2012, 14:00
Honestly get a shelter mutt, mixed breeds usually have less hereditary problems, are good all around dogs, are cheaper, and are always available. The best way to get a good hiking dog is to start by bringing your dog on short distances and going on long daily walks and then working up to longer trips. There are some dogs that won't do well hiking, but this whole "best breed for hiking" stuff is largely nonsense.

With regard to Rottweilers, I love them, but they're not for everyone and especially not a good first dog, they are too powerful and too naturally protective for a novice owner, they need an experienced owner who can provide consistent leadership and obedience training (not sure what your experience level is so I just thought I'd throw it out there). Also, most insurance companies that provide homeowners and renters insurance won't issue/renew you a policy if they know you have a Rottweiler (again, not something that I agree with, just something you have to be aware of.)

Thanks! I was looking at Rottie mixes at the local shelters. I want to get a puppy to make sure it's raised correctly. I have other animals too so I figured its best to have him or her grow up with them. I do have experience with Jack Russells. They can be quite the terror if they aren't well trained, even for a small dog.

tophatxj
02-12-2012, 17:44
I went car camping with the wife and dog a couple weeks ago. Got down to about 14 degrees. The pup slept in our sleeping bags with us. She is a lab/shepard mix and was shaking before she cuddled up with us.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2012, 18:01
sorry didn't read entire thread, my dog could handle just about any type of weather, but if there was snow on the ground, snow quickly packed up in her paws and we would have to stop quite often to clean them out, she never really wanted to put her booties on, but she got the hang of them quick and appriciated them! get some booties :-) along with all the other good advice!

gumball
02-12-2012, 18:46
My dogs take the cold much better than me. We are out every day and you get to know your dogs and what they can take. Yesterday we had snow in NJ and there was open water. My dogs laid down in the water to cool off and had icicles on them. The one Border Collie has a thick under coat and thrives in the cold. It's the summer that I don't take him for long , long hikes. I wouldn't hesitate to take them overnight with just something to lie down on.

That's a beautiful dog--my BC is red and white and will be joining us (I hope) for some hikes this year.

JohnEbner
02-15-2012, 18:57
My dog (a lab) goes with me everytime I go out. I'm hike mainly in Texas and the temps don't usually get too cold. The lowest I've been out in is about 19 degrees. I brought an extra pad (piece of blue foam) and a small down blanket (about 4'x5') and she did fine. She's an inside dog at home but does well outdoors. Normally I won't bring the pad if temps are just going to be in mid-upper 20's or warmer but will bring the blanket, which she carries in her pack. Anything above 35* or so she's fine just sleeping in the tent with me without a blanket.