PDA

View Full Version : Change in start date, Sleeping bag now inadequate?

Schemer
02-09-2012, 03:13
I was going to be starting on April 10th, but my start date has now changed to March 14th. I had a 40 degree sleeping bag for my April start date, and now I am wondering if a 40 degree bag might be inadequate for a March start date. I do have a liner that offers an additional 7-10 degrees, plus if I sleep in dry clothes I think i might be ok, but I thought i would seek advice to be sure.

Thanks for your time.

Marlow
02-09-2012, 09:33
Honestly, I don't put much faith in bag liners adding much to temperature ratings. They are great for keeping the inside of your bag clean and extending its lifetime, but I wouldn't count on it to keep you warm. Even if the liner does give you an extra 10 degrees, you will likely have some uncomfortable nights during your first couple of weeks. I think you will need to switch to at least a 30 degree bag and perhaps a 20 if you are a cold sleeper.

max patch
02-09-2012, 11:13
A 40 degree bag would not have been adequate for a 4/10 start - for a 3/14 start you will freeze your azz off or worse. Don't believe the hype about a liner adding 7-10 degrees of warmth. You need a different bag and don't believe any armchair hiker who tells you otherwise.

swjohnsey
02-09-2012, 11:21
You could/will see temperatures in the teens, 20s. Much depends on you, the pad you are using, if you are sleeping in a tent and your cold weather skills. I started end of March last year with a 40 degree bag (Kelty Lightyear 40) and was O.K. On cold nights I slept in everything including hat a gloves and always slept in a tent with decent pad (Prolite 3). I was cold a couple of nights but it didn't kill me.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
02-09-2012, 11:23
I was in the SNP this November w/my 40 degree Kelty sleeping bag and the temp drop down to 20 degrees with winds around 25-30 mph. I struggled to keep warm, slept in my clothes and added my silk liner and was still not comfortable for the night. I also did the approach trail to Neel Gap this December and was glad I changed to a NF Cat Meow 20 degree bag . I believe the opinion of most WB posters would suggest you consider changing to a warmer bag for your thur -hike. You can always have the 40 degree bag mailed ahead for the warmer part of your hike. I will start my Thur-Hike on Mar 18th , have a great hike. Trail name is Tic-Toc .

ChinMusic
02-09-2012, 11:27
I was going to be starting on April 10th, but my start date has now changed to March 14th. I had a 40 degree sleeping bag for my April start date, and now I am wondering if a 40 degree bag might be inadequate for a March start date. I do have a liner that offers an additional 7-10 degrees, plus if I sleep in dry clothes I think i might be ok, but I thought i would seek advice to be sure.

Thanks for your time.

I'm a very warm sleeper, often wear a parka to bed as well in winter. I can push a bag 10 degrees below its rating with no problem. There is NO WAY I would start on 3/14 with a 40° bag.........NO WAY. Don't even think of doing it.

I wouldn't start on 4/10 with a 40 either.

Tinker
02-09-2012, 11:29
I did Georgia with a Feathered Friends Great Auk overbag in March of '06 (with a tent :o). The bag is normally rated to 35 degrees (conservatively). I had mine overfilled with 2oz. of extra down and paid extra for the higher loft fill (back in the late 1980s). I've used the bag down to 5 degrees with some clothing on and been comfortable, but, honestly, I'm glad that I had the bag on a couple of nights when the temps. dropped down into the high 20s. When you're tired, your bag rating seems to increase (it isn't as warm).

A 40 degree bag won't cut it unless you use the bag as a liner and get an overbag. Send the overbag home when you don't need it. A 40 degree bag is a good summer bag for the northern AT.

Liners (and inner bags) are more difficult to get into and out of than a single purpose rated bag (temperature-wise), with the edge in performance given to the double bag method.

Either way, get a bag that you can wear some insulated camp clothing (I recommend a down jacket with hood and down pants, for weight savings over synthetic) into. Getting out of a warm bag to face the chill of a midnight run or early morning sunrise can be an easier transition with insulation than without.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/548798178sXxbQh

scope
02-09-2012, 11:52
Could probably get by with the 40-degree bag if you also have a down jacket and down booties to wear while in the bag and a hot water bottle between your legs. But like others have indicated, that would just be getting by, and barely at that.

lush242000
02-09-2012, 11:57

Thanks for your time.

You are not that far from some mountains. You could always go car camping one night up high and see how it works. Everyone is different when it comes to comfort levels.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2012, 12:00

Thanks for your time.if you plan on staying in shelters then a 40 deg. bag ain't gonna cut it. period. you need a 20 deg. bag

garlic08
02-09-2012, 15:35
I'll just chime in with the same old song. I started April 4 and really needed my very excellent 15F bag. I had several nights in the mid-teens, with blowing snow. Do not underestimate the southern Appalachians.

Hooch
02-09-2012, 16:15
For either of your start dates, april or March, but especially March, a 40 degree bag is horrible, horribly insufficient. Do yourself a favor and get at least a 20 degree bag. If not, don't say no one tried to warn you. Best of luck on your hike!

Blissful
02-09-2012, 16:24
Yes totally inadequate. You would have been very cold in April anyway with 40. Need at least 20, 15 is better. I would switch to 40 after mid May

TOMP
02-09-2012, 16:48
Bag tempature ratings really depend on who is using them. Some people just produce more body heat and sleep warmer as a result. So how do you normally sleep in the night time temperatures seen in the GA mountains in Mid-March? For me I am bringing a 20 degree down bag and wouldnt consider anything else. Some might even need a 0 degree bag if they have bad circulation as the temps can dip around the teens. Im also bringing a liner because I notice a difference when using it but I wouldnt bring the wrong bag and try to make up for it by using a liner.

Tinker
02-09-2012, 18:10
Wind chill works its wonders on sleeping bag users in a shelter just as it does on hikers on the trail. A tent is much warmer.

Did I mention condition of the sleeper?
Fatigue,
Hunger,
Dehydration, (and
Humidity)

All have a negative effect on the rating of a bag, because the heat source for the bag is the user. I'm always surprised how many people aren't aware of this until they're surprisingly cold in their "should be warm" bag.

stranger
02-09-2012, 18:59

Thanks for your time.

No way comrade...even a bag rated to 20 is likely to struggle on a few nights. It can be cold, in the teens, right up to mid-April in places. Liners don't add warmth, it's a BS marketing claim, they do however keep your bag clean and 'might' add 1-2 deg, might I would look at bags by Marmot, Westerm Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, etc... For a mid March start, I would go 20 deg minimum, and still expect to be cold on a few nights here and there

Schemer
02-09-2012, 19:07
Thanks for all the good advice, just got back from REI with my new 20 degree bag. Since I don't have the budget for another sleeping bag for the summer I guess i'll just hit up an REI near the trail and return it for a 40 degree later. If there even is one close to the trail.

Again thanks

pyroman53
02-09-2012, 19:24
I guess i'll just hit up an REI near the trail and return it for a 40 degree later.

Please tell us you're joking! Or is your signature line accurate?

jj2044
02-09-2012, 19:41
Thanks for all the good advice, just got back from REI with my new 20 degree bag. Since I don't have the budget for another sleeping bag for the summer I guess i'll just hit up an REI near the trail and return it for a 40 degree later. If there even is one close to the trail.

Again thanks

And people wonder why this country is in trouble

Lone Wolf
02-09-2012, 20:22
I guess i'll just hit up an REI near the trail and return it for a 40 degree later. If there even is one close to the trail.

Again thanksyou're kiddin' right?

Schemer
02-09-2012, 20:31
I wasn't kidding, but as i seem to have struck a nerve i suppose i will do the ethical thing. I'm not called a schemer for nothing, but you all have put me on a better path.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2012, 20:36
I wasn't kidding, but as i seem to have struck a nerve i suppose i will do the ethical thing. I'm not called a schemer for nothing, but you all have put me on a better path.BUT. if REI is stupid enough to give back money on a used sleeping bag then it's their loss. i don't blame folks for it

Schemer
02-09-2012, 20:45
BUT. if REI is stupid enough to give back money on a used sleeping bag then it's their loss. i don't blame folks for it

True, but i should be better than that regardless. I will roll with the 20 for the entire hike, probably won't sleep in it during summer, just use it as more of a blanket.

JAK
02-09-2012, 20:54
REI is now monitoring these sites, so don't be surprised if your woken up on the trail some cold night, dumped out of the 20 bag while it is still in decent shape, and stuffed back into your original 40 deg bag. Fair warning.

WalkinEagle
02-09-2012, 20:56
I'll be doing a section hike in NC (nantahala national forest) in early March, would a 20 degree bag be adequate?

Lone Wolf
02-09-2012, 20:57
I'll be doing a section hike in NC (nantahala national forest) in early March, would a 20 degree bag be adequate?if you stay in a tent

WalkinEagle
02-09-2012, 21:01
Thanks! I plan to use hot water in a nalgene if necessary

MuddyWaters
02-09-2012, 21:34
If you sleep in down clothing you would be OK. Western mountaineering flight pants, flash jacket, down booties. As long as your bag is roomy enough not to compress it.

Schemer
02-09-2012, 21:56
REI is now monitoring these sites, so don't be surprised if your woken up on the trail some cold night, dumped out of the 20 bag while it is still in decent shape, and stuffed back into your original 40 deg bag. Fair warning.

I could see walking into a trail town, and a white panel van comes to screeching to halt in front of me, 3 hooded people grab me and pull me into the van....i wake up at some shelter with no sleeping bag and a little note saying that i have been warned.

TOMP
02-09-2012, 22:37
Well at least your honest about it, I mean look at geartrade.com it is 90 percent stuff that people used and sometimes abused and later returned often still muddy from the trail and now they sell it 60 percent off. If not for people like you I wouldnt have gotten so many great second hand deals.

Schemer
02-09-2012, 22:56
Well at least your honest about it, I mean look at geartrade.com it is 90 percent stuff that people used and sometimes abused and later returned often still muddy from the trail and now they sell it 60 percent off. If not for people like you I wouldnt have gotten so many great second hand deals.

Yes i am honest about being dishonest, but alas i have decided against the dishonesty.

Hooch
02-09-2012, 22:56
REI is now monitoring these sites, so don't be surprised if your woken up on the trail some cold night, dumped out of the 20 bag while it is still in decent shape, and stuffed back into your original 40 deg bag. Fair warning.I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to run the BS flag up on this one. Signing up on here is competely anonymous and there would be no way to link an online sign in name to a real, actual person. You're full of it, JAK.

TOMP
02-09-2012, 23:03
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to run the BS flag up on this one. Signing up on here is competely anonymous and there would be no way to link an online sign in name to a real, actual person. You're full of it, JAK.

Oh no, have you heard of an ip address. Whiteblaze could record this info when you log in and could share it (not that I think they do or care if they do). Your not as anonymous as you think you are. But its definately a joke.

TOMP
02-09-2012, 23:05
Yes i am honest about being dishonest, but alas i have decided against the dishonesty.

Ah must be divine intervention...or your scared of the REI gremlin finding you at night.

Blissful
02-09-2012, 23:05

Again thanks

I'd take your liner also. Keep the bag the whole trip.

Schemer
02-09-2012, 23:14
Ah must be divine intervention...or your scared of the REI gremlin finding you at night.

Wait....There is an REI Gremlin, why i am just finding this out now. Do i need a tag to hunt one or is it open season?

Hooch
02-09-2012, 23:17
Oh no, have you heard of an ip address. . . .As a matter of fact, yes I have. But I also know what a proxy is and how to utilize one. Not that I'd do something of the sort.

swjohnsey
02-09-2012, 23:55
No, but you have to be careful during rut.

JAK
02-10-2012, 10:21
Some first rate detective work. Hat's off.

boarstone
02-10-2012, 13:49

Again thanks

Keep the 20 deg. bag. You can fall in a stream get soaked and be glad you've got a warm bag. Can leave it unzipped and use it as a quilt.

MedicineWoman2012
02-10-2012, 14:14
Roan Highlands and Smokies are definately exposed and colder than the AT experienced in Ga

RichardD
02-11-2012, 21:32
I started March 23rd with a 20 deg WM bag and 10 deg underquilt for my hammock, also down trousers and down jacket (very lightweight). I was comfortable at night and on really cold nights used a hot waterbottle.
Advice on this forum was that I should not switch to Summer gear until Pearisburg and back to Winter gear at Glencliffe NH. That advice was spot on.
I would have been horribly uncomfortable with a 40 deg bag.