PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam shelter

OrionENC
02-09-2012, 12:17
Is it permissable to camp near the Fontana Dam shelter?

swjohnsey
02-09-2012, 12:21
Is it permissable to camp near the Fontana Dam shelter?

Yes, there is a tent pad right next to the shelter capable of holding probably ten tents. It is kinda sucky because it is gravel and stakes don't hold that well.

wornoutboots
02-09-2012, 13:31
There might be a few small areas directly around the shelter that will hold a few small tents that need to be staked if I remember correctly

Storm
02-09-2012, 20:07
I saw some areas up past the restrooms and showers across the road that looked ideal for tent camping, not sure if it was allowed but didn't see any signs saying it wasn't. Area right around the shelter looked like it would suck.

Slo-go'en
02-09-2012, 20:19
There have always been tents on hill above the restrooms the couple of times I've been at Fontana dam. I've never seen anyone try to tent in the gravel area near the shelter. That seems to be more of a social area with the fire ring.

SCRUB HIKER
02-10-2012, 02:47
Yes, but as mentioned, you'll have a hell of a time trying to pitch a non-freestanding tent on the concrete tent pads that are off the path leading to the shelter. I spent 30 minutes on it last year, couldn't find a remotely flat non-concrete spot, gave up, and cowboyed on the concrete instead. You may have better luck, depending on your sleeping setup.