PDA

View Full Version : Pack Store/distributor options?

kevwhaaaaaaaat
02-09-2012, 13:41
Where do you guys usually buy your Packs? What are some popular, reliable, and knowledgeable stores that sell packs?
I'm looking to get sized up and try on some packs for long distance/thru-hikes. Information on good web-sites would be appreciated too but i'm mostly looking for a place where i can actually try on a pack before i buy it.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2012, 13:43
where in NY you live? go to Campmor in Paramus, NJ if you're close

DeerPath
02-09-2012, 13:43
Try REI. A good company.

Feral Bill
02-09-2012, 14:09
Try REI. A good company. Your advantages there are 1. You can return the pack if it doesnt work in the field, and 2. They have a large selection of packs. Disadvantage is you may or may not get a sales person who knows packs well. Ask a few questions about his or her personal experience, and don't be concerned about hurt feelings if you want to speak to someone else.

TOMP
02-09-2012, 14:25
Dont bother with in-store outfitters unless you want to pay too much. I know the sales staff are usually nice but what are the odds they actually used the pack you want anyway, plus its just their opinion anyway. Buy online, read reviews, compare products and return if your not satistied. All major online retailers have great return policies at this point. Also try not to buy at online outfitters either as thier prices are often not the best. Google shopping to find the lowest and go from there. Use outfitters to find what you want but buy the cheapest available.

swjohnsey
02-09-2012, 15:20
Most of the good packs are not available through big stores like REI, Campmor.

Don H
02-10-2012, 08:28
Most of the good packs are not available through big stores like REI, Campmor.

But for a beginner it's probably the best place to go. At least you can get measured for torso length so you know what size pack to buy.

sloger
02-10-2012, 08:44
Ulra Lite Accessories. Made in USA, excellent quality even better service.

Spokes
02-10-2012, 09:09
But for a beginner it's probably the best place to go. At least you can get measured for torso length so you know what size pack to buy.

I agree about getting measured. I support my local small outfitters and buy there usually. They normally match prices. But when the cost savings get deeper and a price match isn't accepted I buy from an online dealer in a heart beat.

skinewmexico
02-10-2012, 10:49
My last several packs have been from ULA and Gossamer Gear.

Hooch
02-10-2012, 11:49
Ulra Lite Accessories. Made in USA, excellent quality even better service.Nope. Ultralight Adventure Equipment. www.ula-equpment.com

Hooch
02-10-2012, 11:51
www.ula-equipment.com

TOMP
02-10-2012, 12:39

Probably not, buy a measuring tape and save hundreds of dollars on your total gear purchases.

Hooch
02-10-2012, 12:53
Probably not, buy a measuring tape and save hundreds of dollars on your total gear purchases.That's assuming you have someone who knows for sure how to measure you correctly. Best bet is to get it done by an experienced pack fitter, at least the first time.

TOMP
02-10-2012, 18:21
That's assuming you have someone who knows for sure how to measure you correctly. Best bet is to get it done by an experienced pack fitter, at least the first time.

Ok, but dont buy it from them, is there price isnt competitive.

Hooch
02-10-2012, 19:20
Ok, but dont buy it from them, is there price isnt competitive.Depends on what you're buying and from whom you're buying it.

TOMP
02-10-2012, 22:06
Depends on what you're buying and from whom you're buying it.

No it doesnt, if the price isnt competitive you dont buy it, simple. If it is competitive you do. Bottom line you have to shop around.

Rayo
02-10-2012, 22:12
I'd recommend buying from REI/Backcountry/Altrec at least until you experience enough to know what you like/dislike. At that point, you can return the pack to these companies because of their 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.

I've bought things from those sites not knowing what I really needed, and once I got a feel for my preferences I was always able to return my item, get my money back, and spend it at ULA or the like.

No blood, no foul.

Hooch
02-10-2012, 23:05
Depends on what you're buying and from whom you're buying it.

No it doesnt, if the price isnt competitive you dont buy it, simple. If it is competitive you do. Bottom line you have to shop around.Thank you for reinforcing what I already said without realizing you did it. Much obliged.

BTW, to the OP, don't be scared to check out ULA. Their packs and customer service are second to none. I have a Catalyst and a Circuit, both of which are awesome! Call the owner, Chris. His number is on the website, he'll answer the phone personally. Trust me, he'll take care of you.