PDA

View Full Version : granola

dalemc
02-09-2012, 13:43
Anyone out there MOY own granola? Recipes??

garlic08
02-09-2012, 15:30
Mine is so simple, it's hardly worth posting. I make it as I hike. Technically I guess it's muesli, since it's uncooked. I buy a large box of old fashioned rolled oats, a half pound bag of walnuts from the baking aisle, and a pound of raisins. Mix in a gallon ziplock, dip cup in ziplock, add water, eat, repeat. I've been doing this on trail and at home for about 30 years and it's the best breakfast I've ever found. If I have milk or yogurt available, I'll add that. If I have cinnamon, I'll add that too.

RodentWhisperer
02-09-2012, 20:50
You're correct, garlic08-- that's meusli. It's what I have for breakfast practically every day of an average work week. ;)

Granola is really easy to make. Here's my standard recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together about 1/3 cup of honey, 1/3 cup oil (I use EVOO, but most people like canola), and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add in about 4 cups of rolled oats. Stir until all the oats are coated. Spread the mixture evenly over 1-2 baking sheets (I like using a lasagne pan). Bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes, or until golden; stir the mixture about every 7-10 minutes to make sure the oats of all being cooked evenly.

Above and beyond that, there's all kinds of stuff you can do! Try adding in about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon or allspice, 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of ground clove, or a few drops of almond extract. When the granola has cooled to room temp, mix in some of your favorite nuts and/or dried fruits.

My favorite? I go a little Caribbean and add allspice, cinnamon, and a touch of ground red pepper, and at the end, I mix in some cashews, dried mango and coconut. When I find fresh mint on the trail, it adds another punch!:)

JAK
02-10-2012, 07:38
You can also make granola on the trail. Put the oil in first and give it a swish. Then add the oats and swish and stir over your stove until they brown nicely. Add the other stuff once the oats are done and stir it all up. Awesome. If it burns a little, all the better. Gives it that woodsy flavour. Throw some spruce needles and dirt and sticks in for good measure.

rocketsocks
02-10-2012, 08:08
You can also make granola on the trail. Put the oil in first and give it a swish. Then add the oats and swish and stir over your stove until they brown nicely. Add the other stuff once the oats are done and stir it all up. Awesome. If it burns a little, all the better. Gives it that woodsy flavour. Throw some spruce needles and dirt and sticks in for good measure.+1 on the eco fortified granola,a little rock dust and sand to help scour your innards and clean you up till you get back to city livin.

JAK
02-10-2012, 08:10
Doc says I'm not getting enough tar and gravel.

garlic08
02-10-2012, 09:00
Doc says I'm not getting enough tar and gravel.

Piss and vinegar too, probably.

Good field tip on cooking the oats.

JAK
02-10-2012, 09:13
Running a little low on piss and vinegar, but not out. lol

We get blueberries cheap here, as in Maine, and they are easy to freeze because they don't clump and they thaw out quick, but are also very easy to dehydrate. I just lay them on a pan and bake them in the convection oven at 170F, which is as low as I can go unfortunately. They dehydrate into small pebbles, but are not too crunch and are great to add to oatmeal or granola. More like currants than raisins, only more so. Some liquid coats the pan but it is easily scraped off and I add that in also. Its sort of sugary. I don't add any sugar and its way better and cheaper than the sweetened dried blueberries they sell at the bulk barn. I should try doing it with cranberries also. I'll go do that now matter of fact. Cheers.

dalemc
02-10-2012, 17:25
great.... thanks!