PDA

View Full Version : Making a Kilt

Sleeveless9
02-09-2012, 16:39
Looking to make a kilt for an upcoming thru hike. Any great idea on fabric (Supplex?) or features? Any need for a different kilt for warm weather and cool weather? Thanks.

Jim Adams
02-09-2012, 20:48
supplex sounds good...been thinking of that for a while. let me know how it turns out.

restless
02-09-2012, 20:59
Screw it..hike naked. If nothing else, it will make for a great conversation starter at the shelters at night!

Sleeveless9
02-09-2012, 21:22
Any advantages or disadvantages of Pertex over Supplex? Pockets or no pockets? I was also thinking of a waistband that is several inches wide so that it sits completely under the backpack waistbelt helping to hold the kilt up.

JAK
02-10-2012, 10:43
That's a cool idea about the waistbelt. My daypack has a narrow enough wasit strap I've run through the belt loops of my shorts at times. My own personal bias is that a kilt should be wool, and able to b used for sleeping also. A kilt is not just an excuse to let your balls hang free. More than anything else its meant to be an efficient way to carry your blanket, so it can do double duty. The balls thing is just a bonus, if you can make it work for you. I think traditionally the shirt was worn long enough to stop any chaffing. This idea works well with shorts and pants, to some extent.

AdhemardDion
07-11-2012, 07:02
One thing I want to know is that is your Kilt readymade? It would help me if you can share some pics of it.

Pumba
07-11-2012, 08:15
If I may share another forum that I'm a member of that might help: www.xmarksthespot.com

It's a kilt wearers forum.