PDA

View Full Version : March SOBO Harpers Ferry to GA

Hedge
02-09-2012, 18:32
I’m planning an early to mid March starting date southbound hike from Harpers Ferry to Springer. I’ve looked at the Conservancy web site and saw what they had posted under when/where to start regarding this hike. I was looking for some extra advice from anyone who has done this hike in the past…problems you had, number of people out on the trail, etc.
FYI hiked Georgia and Maryland before…plan on using North Face 20 degree mummy bag
Cheers,
Hedge

no-name
02-09-2012, 20:19
I am wondering about this trip too. One of my next section hikes might be Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro. (or Delaware Water Gap to Boiling Springs) I am getting antsy, but it is still COLD out there!!

Hedge
02-09-2012, 21:28
It's been a mild winter so I figured it would be a great place to start. I know most everything will be closed in Shenandoah, but at least the shelters won't be packed. Let me know if you're heading out for HF in March.

Hedge

Cookerhiker
02-10-2012, 13:43
Sounds like a great plan - I had considered it myself. If I ever thruhike the AT, it will be HF-Springer, Katahdin-HF.

My bag is rated 15 but I don't trust it. Personally, I'd take it along with my Sea-to-Summit liner which adds 15 degrees. If your bag really does perform i.e. you're warm enough at 20, you're probably OK for most of the trip.

It's good you know about the SNP facilities (or lack thereof that time of year). Also if you have the Companion or similar guide, you may want to check the seasons of the hostels. For example, Woods Hole is probably closed when you get there depending on your pace.

You won't meet many people in your first month. One advantage is the shelters should be mostly empty. I know there's lots of macho "I don't sleep in shelters" hikers on WB but a dry shelter will certainly feel good, and makes sense, in cold spring rains.