PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Rain Ruts?

Mouse
03-19-2005, 00:22
I can't help wondering if those deep ruts in the Smokys stem as much or more the heavy rainfall as from overhiking. They looked suspiciously like other spots on the AT that are clearly washed out rather than overhiked. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
03-19-2005, 00:38
Well the ruts are only on the trail, so a logical conclusion could be that if the area wasn't hiked, then the rain couldn't wash it out. And if other trails don't have this much erosion, then the amount of traffic may be what keeps it turned up enough for the rain to help wash it out.

Or maybe the poles are the problem:datz

Lugnut
03-19-2005, 01:16
Many of the ruts in the smokies are there because horse trails share parts of the AT. I think the smokies are the only place horses are allowed on the trail and we should all be glad for that. Horse trails at Mt. Rogers are about as bad but fortunately we don't have to hike on them.

SGT Rock
03-19-2005, 01:24
Some trail allow horeses, some of the bad ones don't. But good point.

kncats
03-19-2005, 05:56
Many of the ruts in the smokies are there because horse trails share parts of the AT. I think the smokies are the only place horses are allowed on the trail and we should all be glad for that.Horses are also permitted on the (short) section of the AT that is shared with the C & O Canal Trail in Maryland. The trail isn't rutted there. But of course it's also extremely flat and mostly crushed gravel through there.

Tractor
03-19-2005, 09:54
The ruts, I recall, in the northern part of the park were in the shared zone. I can't remember the name of the gap but there was a deep rut horse trail intersecting as well. A couple of years ago we saw a "horse hole", just off from the horse rut trail. Horse and rider went up hill around a blow down then on the way back down couldn't stop and went over and into brush and mud, forming sort of a "bomb crater". No sign of horse or rider so they must have made it out OK? Looks like horse had planted two front right on the edge of the trail and that part of the trail broke away..

Mouse
03-19-2005, 09:56
Wow...........The Trail that eats horses! :dance

orangebug
03-19-2005, 11:40
The trail segment just north of Newfound Gap isn't shared with horses, and is heavily rutted. I suspect it is a combination of poor trail location and use.

orangebug
03-19-2005, 11:43
Another example of that observation is the trail up Kennesaw Mountain. It hasn't seen horses in over a century. It is simply poor trail design and popularity. The maintainers and park service are having a great time trying to figure out how to repair and rebuild, as much of the work done in the past has only enhanced problems.

SGT Rock
03-20-2005, 11:22
The trail segment just north of Newfound Gap isn't shared with horses, and is heavily rutted. I suspect it is a combination of poor trail location and use.

Yep, it seems every tourist that goes there wants to walk up to Charlie's Bunion.