PDA

View Full Version : Gear list For AT Section hike.

Caption Dan
02-10-2012, 02:47
Plan on being on the trail 98 days and have a goal of 1,000 miles. Ill be leaving March 15-aug15 2012

Backpack-Go lite Breeze-14oz M 47 liter+14 L
Sleeping
Slp bag- Western mountian ultralight 20 degree-1lb 10oz
Eno hammock-18oz
Pro flight rain fly-22oz
Neo air sleeping pad 10oz
Cooking
Jetboil-8.5oz and spork 2oz(maybe)
sawyer inline water filter-1.8oz 1Liter platypus 3oz
black diamond storm headlamp.3.9oz
Neo air sleeping pad 10oz
Advandced medical kit .5 oz
Arc'Teryx - Alpha SL Pants 9oz
Westcomb lt Specter hoody (Rain jacket)-11.4oz
Rainfly for backpack.3.8oz
4 pairs of 1/2 smartwool socks
1 extra capline shirt 3.6oz
1 extra pair of patagonia shorts 6oz or less
Komperdeel c3 trekking poles
Nalogene 16fl ounce water bottle weight 3.2oz
Columbia River m16 knife 3.6oz
trowel 1oz
Biodegradable tolit paper 4oz
Small towel 1.2oz
soap 2oz
Bug spray, i will also soak my hammok in bug repelant. instead of using bug net to minamize weight.
On me:
Water purification tablets and fire starter along with a lighter
Sunglasses
Capline shirt
Patagonia shorts
Chaco sandals
Wallet
Watch

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-10-2012, 03:36
Careful with the bug repellant, could damage the ripstop nylon. Also pretty sure that would take away almost all breathability of the hammock. On the bright side, not as many bugs right now.

You list 2 sleeping pads, I'm guessing a typo.

Staying in shelters with the hammock setup as a backup (I presume). Don't forget the suspension weight for the hammock/tarp.

Any insulation in the form of a jacket?

Looks pretty good otherwise.

Caption Dan
02-10-2012, 04:06
Thanks eastcoast, so I believe I will be needing to invest in a bug net just for the times when bugs are bad. Yes 2 sleeping pads was a typo, will be using a a light fleece jacket for insulatin or maybe just a long sleeve cap line shirt. Yes I will be using the hammock in and outside of the shelters, using webbing for the straps. Thanks for the tips! Do you think my 20 degree down bag will be too warm for these summer months on the southern half of the at?I have been debating on taking my 30 degree synthetic marmot bag as a alternative.

Don H
02-10-2012, 07:57
Your list looks pretty good but I'll make a few suggestions based on my experiences thru-hiking last year. Hope this helps.

You should carry an insulated jacket, I prefer down.
Loose the trowel
Exchange the Nalogene for a Gatoraid bottle for half the weight.
You'll need the ability to carry more water for camp and dry stretches of trail. Consider a 2L Platypus.
You only need 3 pairs of socks, including the ones you're wearing.
I didn't use bug repellent until CT.
You can swap to a summer bag, I did that in VA.
Swap your small towel for a bandana.
Consider carrying the smallest bottle of sunscreen you can find and a hat. Sunburn was a problem early with no leaves on the trees.
I didn't carry a pack cover, just used a trash bag as a liner. The cover alone won't keep your stuff dry.
Instead of soaking your hammock in bug spray consider Permethrin on your clothes and hammock. You won't need that until VA.
Biodegradable TP is a nice thought, but you'll eventually be carrying TP that you swiped from a restaurant or motel room ;)
Do you plan on hiking in sandals in the snow?
Don't know what you're using as a fire starter but carrying just a lighter is probably enough. Your Jetboil has an igniter for a back-up for starting fires.

My guess is that you will go farther than 1,000 miles in 98 days if you choose to.
Good luck and have fun!

TOMP
02-10-2012, 12:41
Your really age 12?

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-10-2012, 14:17
Don, good advice. I'd do some research on how Permethrin affects ripstop nylon. I don't want you burning holes in your hammock from prolonged contact.

Consider whoopie slings for your hammock suspension, super easy, reliable, and lighter than traditional webbing. Also if you plan to stay in the hammock full time, consider a top quilt and under quilt combo. It will be far simpler and more comfortable (for hammock use). That of course depends on your funds, as a tq/uq combo is easily 400 bucks.

For a whole lot of info on hammock setups join us over at hammockforums.net . It's the sister site to whiteblaze!

Don H
02-10-2012, 17:12
Answer on Permethrin use on tents is here:
http://www.sawyer.com/faqpermethrin.htm#007

EastCoastFeastCoast
02-11-2012, 00:02
Answer on Permethrin use on tents is here:
http://www.sawyer.com/faqpermethrin.htm#007

Good info on the permethrin in regards to ruining the hammock, I'd still use an ounce of caution and maybe test it in regards to breathability. Very important in hammocks.

jjimen16
02-11-2012, 01:13
How do you like the Ultralight 20*? I am thinking about getting this but cant decide! Thanks. Do you feel as though it is too narrow? Accurate degree rating? (I've never had a western, but apparently they are the best?)

Caption Dan
02-13-2012, 00:32
Thanks for hammock tips and will be purchasing 40degree under quilt on 0degree top quilt. I love my ultralight 20 bag, recently just upgraded from a marmot synthetic. The western provides great comfort,warmth,and light I think it's a great choice

cybernugz
02-14-2012, 22:58
do you think a 45 down bag with liner and down jacket with base layer would be sufficient for the cold times on the trail ?

cybernugz
02-14-2012, 22:59
sorry i will be in a hammock with underquilt and thermarest pad

bigcranky
02-15-2012, 08:33
A hammock requires insulation of some sort below your body. A sleeping bag doesn't provide this insulation because your body weight crushes it. So you need something else. The simplest thing is a closed cell foam pad, like the ubiquitous "blue foam pad" from wallymart. Get one that's wider than you think you need, say 25 or 30 inches, so it wraps around your shoulders inside the hammock. Use a full length pad so your legs and feet have some insulation. (Also, note to Caption Dan, the Neoair is something of a PITA to use inside a hammock. Too bulky and not warm enough.)

A more expensive option is an underquilt - basically, a quilt that you hang from the underside of your hammock. You can make or buy one. They are more comfortable and can be much warmer than a CCF pad.

Now, to the question of using a 45-F bag for "cold times on the trail." That depends on what you mean by cold. Even with a down jacket and a base layer, a 45-F bag isn't very warm. If the temps get to freezing or below, I would be very, very cold, especially in a hammock. (And I know this from personal experience, using a hammock and a 40-F bag in Georgia in June, when an unexpected cold snap had frost all over my hammock the first couple of nights. I was *cold.*) If you are starting a thru-hike in March, you can expect low temperatures in the teens or lower some nights, and below freezing most nights. Hanging there in your bear piņata, shivering all night long, is not particularly fun. Trust me.

bigcranky
02-15-2012, 08:35
sorry i will be in a hammock with underquilt and thermarest pad

These should keep you warm enough from below. Only you can decide if a 45-F bag is warm enough for your expected conditions. Testing your system in advance is always a good idea.