PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect in the White Mountains?

weaverme
02-10-2012, 10:36
I am beginning a SOBO hike in June 2012 (around June 18th). I am curious about what the weather will be like in the New England States (ME, VT, NH), especially the White Mountains during Late June and July? If anyone has any advice on temperature rating for a sleeping bag during this time, or other gear recommendations for the weather during these months I would sincerely appreciate it!

Thanks so much.

Blissful
02-10-2012, 11:03
I had a 25 degree bag, my Montbell jacket, a hat. It can do anything, includ. sleet. I'd also have good rain gear. Prepare for bad hope for good. And as Warren Doyle told me, dont ever pass up a good sunny day to hike in the Whites.

Driver8
02-10-2012, 11:51
Absolutely beautiful, very difficult relative to most everything south of Glencliff - Maine will be good preparation for that - and mercurial weather-wise. There's plenty on these boards by way of gear needs. It's a gold mine. Hope you get some nice bluebird days in the Whites - the views from up high are magnificent when you can enjoy them.

hikerboy57
02-10-2012, 12:15
you can get snow in the presis into july. 70s in the ntches, 20-30s above treeline.be prepared.spring and fall are the biggest pronblems with hypothermia.i think it was july 2006 Mt wash had 147 mph wind gusts and temps in the 20s.with good weather, the whites cant be beat. have fun.

lemon b
02-10-2012, 12:32
I use a 20 degree bag. Insects can be an issue in Maine. Really is a beautiful area.

Spokes
02-10-2012, 12:51
Check out this link and look at the "Summaries/Archives" tab in the right hand column:

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summit.php

Cheers!

Slo-go'en
02-10-2012, 17:03
It's really impossible to tell until you get here. The weather is insanely variable, especially that time of year. I've lived here for 20 years now and still haven't figured out the weather!

Typically it will still be on the cool side, as summer is just starting to get here in late June as the rainy season ends. But all bets are off this year. It got up to the mid 40's here this afternoon, but will be back to sub zero Sunday morning.

Tinker
02-10-2012, 17:16
It will be cool, with blackflies. Their numbers will be thinning out, but even at treeline in late May I've observed them in droves (had to dive into tent to evade them when I stopped hiking early). Luckily, they go to bed with sunset - THEN the "second shift" arrives for work (the mosquitoes - until temps. get below 50 or so). You might be lucky enough to see snow fleas on some leftover snow.

Bring a bag good to 40 degrees, at least, with some insulated clothing. If you sleep cold, make it 30 or lower. Any night of the year can hit freezing in the Whites.

In VerMUD you'll only need a bag rated to 40 or so, which should be good until you get to Virginia, at least.

peakbagger
02-11-2012, 09:09
Unless you are running, you will get to the whites in early July if you start in June.Typically the weather patterns are shorter in early summer in the whites. It usually is one good day, one marginal day, one wet day and it repeats. This pattern tends to shift in early July to longer stretches of nicer weather. Rarely will it go below freezing up even up on the ridges. Many years we have some real hot spells in early July where a 50 degree bag is too hot but some days a 3degree bag will not be enough. The key is to check the forecast in Gorham, Pinkam and the various AMC huts, if the forecast is for rotten weather consider a zero day. The AMC huts generally arent full and in poor weather there are some no shows, so you most likely can get a work for stay.

Dont stress on the whites, there are many stretches in western ME that are similiar, just slightly lower elevation but similiar trail characteristics, long walks at elevation, with occasional steep drops into valleys and then steep climbs up.

If you have figured out how to survive the bugs in Me in June, you will ahve no problems in the whites in early July.

garlic08
02-11-2012, 09:37
It will be cool, with blackflies. Their numbers will be thinning out, but even at treeline in late May I've observed them in droves (had to dive into tent to evade them when I stopped hiking early). Luckily, they go to bed with sunset - THEN the "second shift" arrives for work (the mosquitoes - until temps. get below 50 or so). You might be lucky enough to see snow fleas on some leftover snow.

Bring a bag good to 40 degrees, at least, with some insulated clothing. If you sleep cold, make it 30 or lower. Any night of the year can hit freezing in the Whites.

In VerMUD you'll only need a bag rated to 40 or so, which should be good until you get to Virginia, at least.

This sounds good. I came through pretty early on my NOBO thru--I left Gorham on July 4. The temperature was pretty moderate all through June in New England. My 40F bag was fine. Rain and mud were the bigger issues. And the flies, of course. I was lucky enough to see lingering snow in the Mahoosuc Notch, but there was a moose carcass in it (RIP, Ernie) so I'm not sure those were snow fleas.

Chaco Taco
02-17-2012, 21:25
expect awesomeness with a mix of rain and wind. Tend to see it all in The Whites.

Migrating Bird
02-18-2012, 09:47
Here are some random thoughts, I hit all kinds of weather on my SOBO hike, June '10. Snow on Mt Washington July 1st turned into the 70's on Fanconia Ridge a couple days later. I did not hit any black flies to speak of ( I started May 29th) as we had a very dry spring and only had to use Deet twice and never used a headnet (in 09, my daughter wore hers all the time). In '09, my daughter and husband hiked SOBO and enjoyed the wettest June on record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVDEy2GWfqg. In the link there is a video clip of Franconia Ridge - what a difference a year makes. I hammocked and used a 30 degree setup and was fine the entire time although I "worked for stay" two nights in the Whites due to foul weather and where I ended up for the day. I hiked every day in a t shirt and shorts even in the rain, never in long pants. I used a Packa which worked very well. I had mid wieght insulated underware which I slept in on colder nights. Get accustomed to putting on wet clothes in the morning. Pullover hat and gloves helped up high from Stratton, ME south. In Monson, ME, definetly hit the Lake House for dinner, but stay at Shaw's and enjoy the breakfast. I did not go to WH Landing or Pierce Pond Camps just due to timing (mid day). Pine Ellis Lodge in Andover was a welcome rest. By late June, it was hot and it was where my first thunderstorm hit. David shuttled me to their campground for a great day of swimming and fishing in the Ellis River (until the "T" storm).
Coming down the last little bit of Old Blue, Moody Mt, Mahoosic Arm, Webster Cliff were tough on the knees. Some of the climbs were tough but I just took it slow and enjoyed the ride. I avg. just over 10 miles per day, one of my longest days was from Pinkham Notch to Lake of the Clouds. Have great hike, the rain and wind only make the sunny days all the sweeter.