PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Rocket fuel availability

kennybrae
02-10-2012, 10:45
If I decide to thru hike with my Pocket Rocket will I be able to get cannister all the way?
Thanks.

Wuff
02-10-2012, 11:46
I never had any issues finding canisters when I needed then, if you plan appropriately. If anything it was annoying to have to carry a full canister when I was only days from the next town. It felt like dead weight to me, I'll probably try alcohol next time around...

Spokes
02-10-2012, 13:11
A buddy I thru hiked with in 2008 used a JetBoil and I think he bought 1-2 canisters the entire trip. Got the rest from hiker boxes. Most of the ones he retrieved were 1/2 full.

Cheers!

flemdawg1
02-10-2012, 13:31
Canisters are available from all outfitters near the trail and most Wal-Marts (some hostels even have them). Sometimes you won't have the choice of 4 or 8 oz canisters though. So you might not find ones that can fit inside your cook set.

Don H
02-10-2012, 17:36
I looked in a few Walmarts along the trail and only found the big Coleman cans which won't work on a Jetboil, Pocket Rocket etc. so I wouldn't count on finding them there.
The AT Guide sometimes tells you where canisters are sold. Also read the Fuel Canister FAQs in the article section,find the link on WB's home page. One correction to it though, Pearisburg did not have canister fuel anywhere I could find. The Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg does not sell them any longer and the Walmart in town didn't either. DWG had fuel at the outfitter in town.
I thru'ed last year and used a Pocke Rocket and never ran out of fuel.