PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find a good 3-4 night and day hike, on trail in the Northeast?

slowbender
02-10-2012, 11:55
I'm looking for any and all advice from thru-hikers out there. I'm planning a thru-hike starting in March of 2013 and as a result I'd like to start conditioning my body and testing out my gear on sections of the trail in the Northeast. I have an assortment of gear, some purchased, and some hand-me-downs and I'd like to test it (the typical 40lbs. I can anticipate carrying on the trail) on a shortish section of the trail. I expect I'll be able to pull about 7-10 miles a day, I'm in good shape but then again I'm not carrying a pack on my back all day (and b/c the hike isn't that long I think the 40lb. pack will be doable - giving me a good sense of the importance of cutting weight where I can) Where should I go in the Vermont, NH, CT, and MASS region to try out a solid half week hike? I'd like to go from one point to the next and then hop a ride back to my car after the 4th day (rather than walking a loop). Where should I go? Thanks everybody!

canoehead
02-10-2012, 12:23
Come on out to CT/MA, It's not a tough hike. Start in Salisbury near the Plateau campsite right off 41. Head north to Jug End Rd continue to Tom Lenard shelter walk to Rt 23 and catch a ride back. Nice and easy, views, up's and downs, and plenty of water.. You'll climb Bear, MT Tallest in CT, Mt Everett, second tallest in MA and end on East Mt in Greatbarrington, MA. Parking is available at both sites.

RWheeler
02-10-2012, 12:26
I was going to suggest the same thing. Although I prefer to start up Bunker Hill Rd in Salisbury, do the Lion's Head trailhead. Just my personal choice from hiking that area. Plateau is much easier to reach if you don't exactly know where you're going.

Hawkwind61
02-24-2012, 20:45
I started at the CT border and headed north last year. Awesome section to train on. I also like training in the Mt Greylock area. Have fun!

Hawkwind61
02-24-2012, 20:46
Oops...should have pointed out that I went in on the Underhill Trail. :-)