PDA

View Full Version : Help with clothing list

carpattack
02-10-2012, 12:41
Here is my clothing list for beginning my thru hike next month. Seems like a lot and would love some feedback. Thanks.

Clothing System (Packed) Total 5.9 lbs
Shoes camp shoes
Socks 2 pairs wool
Underwear 1 pair compression shorts
Underwear REI midweight long
Shorts Nike dri-fit running
Shirt Nike dri-fit
Shirt patagonia cap-3 long sleeve
Jacket Mountain Hardwear Zonal
Rain Marmot Pre-Cip
Rain North Face Hyvent pants
Hat Toboggan

Clothing System (Worn) Total 4.6 lbs
Shoes Salomon XA Pro 3D trail runners
Socks wool (1 pair)
Underwear 1 pair compression
Pants Columbia omni-dry convertible
Shirt Under Armor synthetic tee
Jacket Marmot Reactor Fleece
Hat Hat
Gloves fleece gloves

Hooch
02-10-2012, 12:51
Seems a bit excesive to me. Here's what I carry/wear:

Carried in pack: Midweight top/bottom, 3 pairs socks, warm hat, gloves, down jacket, lightweight fleece sweater, rain jacket/pants

Worn: long sleeve breathable shirt, zipoffs or kilt, 1 pair socks, hiking shoes, underwear or compression shorts

That's all I need, but YMMV.

Spokes
02-10-2012, 12:53
Compare yours to this tried and true list:

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Gloves and fleece beanie are assumed carried. Add a 100 weight fleece if you want.

Cheers!

The Cleaner
02-10-2012, 12:58
All I can say is lightweight wool is better for the first few cool to cold months.IMO all synthetic fabrics feel cold aganist your skin till they dry.After several days of wet & cool weather drying anything can become a problem....

Spokes
02-10-2012, 13:09
The Cleaner is right. You gotta be comfortable with your funk if you thru hike the trail.

TOMP
02-10-2012, 13:30
Compare yours to this tried and true list:

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Gloves and fleece beanie are assumed carried. Add a 100 weight fleece if you want.

Cheers!

I am being to think spokes is a computer generated program designed to link pack man advice in every gear forum. Sorry dont mean to pick on you, its just funny.

How heavy are your camp shoes? Dont bring anything over 5 oz total if you cant hike in them.

Don H
02-10-2012, 17:40
I wouldn't have parted with my Crocs irregardless of weight.

Spokes
02-10-2012, 18:26
I am being to think spokes is a computer generated program designed to link pack man advice in every gear forum. Sorry dont mean to pick on you, its just funny.

No worries TOMP :-). Just a bunch of slow learners........ heheheheeee

Seriously, I just hate seeing people wasting money on a lot of gear they dont need. It really hurt me (made me sad) to see all those hikers starting at Springer Mountain carrying 65 lb packs. I mean good golly!

So I spread the word.

Cheers!

carpattack
02-10-2012, 18:45
I am far from 65 lbs but after weighing my clothes I thought I could cut back. Do I really need a synetic coat and fleece or could I cut the fleece out?

swjohnsey
02-10-2012, 19:48
Leave the fleece cut out the coat. Layer wind/rain layer over fleece.

Hooch
02-10-2012, 20:37
Leave the fleece cut out the coat. Layer wind/rain layer over fleece.Disagree. Get a good down jacket (which insulates better than fleece) and layer with your base layer and rain gear as needed.

Spokes
02-10-2012, 21:42
I am far from 65 lbs but after weighing my clothes I thought I could cut back. Do I really need a synetic coat and fleece or could I cut the fleece out?

Good! But wait till you see some of the people you'll run into the first several days..... Just smile and move on.

I only used my down jacket in camp at night and in the morning. You generate heat when hiking. Like Hooch said use your layers and rain gear to adjust your temp. I like having a light weight fleece to throw on when I stop for lunch or when resting on a vista to keep the chill away.

Lots of options.

TOMP
02-10-2012, 22:03
+1 down jacket or vest instead of fleece, but regardless I cant see bringing 2 fleece. Down and merino wool layers.

MaybeTomorrow
02-17-2012, 02:39
Keep:
Shoes Salomon XA Pro 3D trail runners
Socks wool (2)
Shirt Nike dri-fit
Shirt patagonia cap-3 long sleeve
Shorts Nike dri-fit running
Pants Columbia omni-dry convertible
Gloves fleece gloves
Rain Marmot Pre-Cip
Rain North Face Hyvent pants