PDA

View Full Version : 550-fill power down vs 600+ fill power goose down

OrionENC
02-10-2012, 13:38
The 550-fill power down is a Kelty bag, $120, 3 lbs. 11 oz, and rated 0 degrees. The 600+ fill power goose down is a Marmot, $300, 3 lbs. 1 oz., rated 0 degrees. Seems the Kelty would be the obvious choice. Other than weight (10 oz.), why choose the Marmot over the Kelty?

Tinker
02-10-2012, 13:42
A link for each item would be good.

Answer without looking: Quality of fabric, quality of thread used in stitching, quality of workmanship. I'm not saying that Kelty is bad, or that Marmot is good, only that many people never are aware that these (especially quality of thread) are issues when shopping for gear. Most thread used in daily seam stitching is polyester wrapped cotton. Sometimes that gets used in outdoor gear as well. Nylon thread is harder to sew with but is infinitely stronger and more abrasion resistant.

I forgot zipper quality (and size - larger# is sturdier and heavier, smaller is lighter). YKK are the industry standard. I don't know what either of these bags have.

Rocket Jones
02-10-2012, 13:43
Fit? Does the Marmot feel more comfortable to lay in than the Kelty? Might not be able to tell if you can't check in the store, but that's one reason to choose one similar bag over another.

RWheeler
02-10-2012, 13:44
The Marmot may compress better than the Kelty, which is really the greatest benefit of greater fill power. Don't neglect planning for volume.

leaftye
02-10-2012, 15:18
Kelty doesn't always say what type of down they use. I can't find that info for any of their cold weather down sleeping bags on their website. When sleeping bag manufacturers do that, I assume they're using duck down.

Tinker
02-10-2012, 15:40
http://www.campmor.com/kelty-light-year-degree-sleeping-bag-regular.shtml?source=CI&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=27-97957040-2

Here's a Kelty 0 degree down bag from Campmor - is this the one?

I guess not. 600 fill down. Might be a better deal than the one the OP was looking at.

BJStuart
02-10-2012, 17:14
I bought a couple of Kelty Lightyear 20 bags (650 fill power) last year for my girls - we had them out at New Year & they were happy at just under freezing but I'm not sure I'd trust that they'd be good to 20. But otherwise I think they're decent bags, especially for the price I paid (~$75 each from the clymb). This place still has them for that price (note these are women's bags), I've never bought from them so YMMV:
http://www.sportchalet.com/nav/i/category/outdoor/sleeping+bags/300270_3051607/*/on+sale/true/n/4294967274.do?sortby=priceDescend
Can't help you on the 0 degree bags though.

garlic08
02-10-2012, 18:33
See if the temperature standards are the same. Marmot often lists the EN rating. I don't know if Kelty does. They might not actually be the same temp rating. I have not used a Kelty down bag, but my Marmot bag is absolutely excellent. I used a cheap Campmor bag of the same nominal rating before getting a nice bag, and I'll tell you there was no comparison.

Also check features like down fill as a percentage of total weight, draft collars and type of baffling.

And I think 10 oz is enough to spend a little money on in a sleeping bag, especially a nicer bag. That's one place I've never regretted spending some money.

Whiskey
02-10-2012, 21:55
We have a couple of the Kelty Light Year 20 degree bags that are well made. The Kelty website shows EN ratings for the bags I have checked. That said, the 20 degree light year, is EN rated at 32. BTW, I have bought from Sport Chalet and they are first class. One thing to keep in mind on the Kelty is that the women's bags we have are listed for 5'6" lenght, but they would be pretty short on a person that tall. They really seem to fit 5'4" and less better.

If I were looking for a 0 degree bag, I'd go with the Light Year.

tuswm
02-10-2012, 22:25
I have slept in the kelty light year 0* for a week and I own the Marmot never summer. I foudn the never summer for less than $200. try spadout.com

I think you have some bags mixed up. here are specs for the marmot never summer
Specs
Colors:
Bonfire/Sauce (9287)
Weight:
3 lbs 14.46 oz / 1771 g
Fill Weight:
30 oz / 850 g
Size on Hip:
58in/147.32cm
Size on Foot:
40in/101.6cm
Main Material:
100% Nylon Ripstop AC 1.3 oz/yd
Main Material:
100% Nylon WR 1.4 oz/yd
Lining Material:
100% Polyester Dobby WR 2.2 oz/yd
Insulation Material:
600+ Fill Power Goose Down

you can find teh specs of the specific kelty bag you were looking at. I will say that in this case there was nothing wrong with the kelty. It did the job. But and this is a big BUT. The marmot especialy for the shape of my body is a MUCH better bag. I have big shoulders and the marmot has MUCH more room around the upper body. It also feels like it will last longer, more comfortable material, much better zipper, my feet stay warmer. It also has a velcro pocket at the foot to put hand warmers or a small hot water bottle. its great on cold nights. But the two main differences are the zipper. it works much better, much less snagging and it was designed in such a way that all marmot bag zip together perfectly as long as one is right and one is left. that is a whole nother topic just take my word there. and the biggest difference is the whole head area. when you since it down the marmot feels like it wroapping your head in a custom made down hug. its amazing. I have major time in REI, EMS, kelty, golite, mtn hardware, lufalople, and marmot bags. for my body shape( swimmer) marmot bags are on a different level. go to an REI and climb in. you will see.

STICK
02-10-2012, 23:22
Lots of great info here, so I won't repeat it.

I will, however, emphasize, Do not skimp on a sleeping bag unless you absolutely have too. Get the highest quality bag you can afford. And don't say "it's only xx oz more"...one day when you are completely obsessed with this hobby (and gear) you will regret saying that. Go good, go light.

I would also suggest to stick with the bags with EN ratings. Here is a link to understand the basics on EN ratings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13537

OrionENC
02-11-2012, 22:16
Thanks for great advice and perspective. I probably am focusing on cost too much. Have cut my spring/summer pack weight in half over the past few years can appreciate the value of each ounce reduced.