PDA

View Full Version : Daily requirements...

Megapixel
02-10-2012, 14:34
Ok so let's assume that the USDA knows exactly what is up (i know, big assumption) and exactly how much sodium you should have in your diet and how many calories for the average person, say 2000 or so. And let's forget about the fact that too much sodium is bad, etc.

If this is the case am I correct in assuming that if I require double the calories of a normal person in a thru hike, that those daily requirements on the back are half as much? In particular sodium, if it says I'm consuming a 50% of my daily requirement, but I'm on a 4000 calorie diet, then it's really 25%, right?

May sound dumb, but just wanted to get make sure I'm thinking this thing thru, all puns intended. thanks.

rotorbrent
02-10-2012, 14:41
Yeah I guess but I never saw a USDA guy hiking the AT trail. The best advise is

Forrest Gump: When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went.

leaftye
02-10-2012, 15:24
Your body will probably tell you what it needs. If you get to town and you're craving a bowl of salt with a side of french fries, then your body probably needs a lot of salt.

Ktaadn
02-10-2012, 16:37
I would think that you would need more than the recommended amount because you will be sweating a lot more than normal. I'm totally guessing though.

map man
02-11-2012, 10:20
When I am backpacking or when I am doing a lot of running in warm weather I increase my intake of both sodium and potassium to help replace what I sweat out. I have no idea if I do it in direct proportion to my extra calories consumed. And by the way, I don't have high blood pressure -- if I did I would talk to my doc about the advisability of increasing sodium intake.

JAK
02-11-2012, 10:44
I think for the most part it is all proportional to calories burned. There are some exceptions, like if you are doing alot of sweating. Its shady and cool enough where I hike that I don't need extra electrolytes, just what is in proportion to the calories I am burning. So I keep my diet pretty constant, and everything gets scaled up as I eat more. For the most part I just try and keep it simple but balanced from all food groups, and make sure there is enough Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, and Iron. If you get those right, the rest usually fall in place. I don't take supplements. I try to get it all from food. Some things are challenging to get from dry food, like vitamins A and C, without resorting to supplements, or fortified foods. I found the answer in herbs. I include up to an ounce per day of stuff like parsley, chives, other mixed herbs, and also paprika even though its considered a spice. Herbs are essentially dehydrated greens. Paprika is a dehydrated fruit ( sweet peppers ). Fill your boots.

JAK
02-11-2012, 10:49
Sodium might be worth checking. See how much is in your food already. I get most of mine from skim milk powder, and I might add some but not much to homemade jerky. Potassium is usually already present in copious quantities, assuming you are eating real food, and not too much empty calories like white flour, white rice, or sugars. Calcium can be sketchy. I get mine from the skim milk powder, and a surprising amount from the herbs. I have my herbs with my lentil and vegetable soup at night. I've tried a little in my morning porridge, but wasn't a fan of it.

JAK
02-11-2012, 11:05
Sodium might be worth checking. See how much is in your food already. I get most of mine from skim milk powder, and I might add some but not much to homemade jerky. Potassium is usually already present in copious quantities, assuming you are eating real food, and not too much empty calories like white flour, white rice, or sugars. Calcium can be sketchy. I get mine from the skim milk powder, and a surprising amount from the herbs. I have my herbs with my lentil and vegetable soup at night. I've tried a little in my morning porridge, but wasn't a fan of it.

Senor Jalapeno
02-11-2012, 11:21
Don't worry about it. You're not going to die from starvation on the trail. Or go hyponatremic. (Too little salt) if you eat normal hiker fare you will be fine. Worrying will make you come up with ailments and make you quit.

WillieMD
02-11-2012, 11:40
The two needs are independent. Of course your caloric requirements will increase drastically but sodium balance will be a completely separate process that depends more on your hydration status and kidney function. Recommended daily intake pretty much goes out the window during a thru hike since they are based on average american adults (i.e. not walking across the country). As others have mentioned, if you are coming close to meeting your daily caloric needs (4000-6000 kcal daily) then there is no way you will be sodium depleted. If anything you will be slightly hypernatremic because as you become dehydrated electrolytes are concentrated in your blood (one of the main mechanisms of thirst). Just eat a complete meal once or twice a week and an occasional multivitamin if you're worried about trace minerals and you'll be fine.