PDA

View Full Version : REI UL Poles not up to REI quality

Nameless
03-19-2005, 02:10
Hello,

First, i would like to state I buy a lot from REI and generally love the quality of their gear. I even have the REI visa to get a better dividend...

But, they have rushed a product to the market to fast, and it just isnt up to quality. It may have been the batch that made it to Alaska, but I think it is the poles themselves.

I wouldn't recomend buying the REI UL Peak poles. For some reason when the sections are accidently (or purposefully to check for the fault) pulled completely out of the other sections, then reinserted, they no longer will tighten and hold their length. My old komperdell poles (I am returning to the brand, I have been very happy with them) hold together just fine when this happened.

REI took my poles back, and I went to check their other poles to see if i could find a pair that worked. After three or four tries, and ruining the poles (sorry REI, I just want a good set of poles) none held together as they should. Somehow the inside becomes striped. Its pretty easy to accidently overextend your poles on the trail, so I believe this is a manufaturing error is a solid reason to not buy the poles.

I repeat, i love REI, their return policy is second to none. I end up not buying most of my gear there, but that is simply because they do not currently carry the lightweight quality items i want.

Thankyou
Pink

Tater
03-19-2005, 04:01
Get 2 carabou bones, laying not more than a year. Fashion with hard edge knife, make sure the weights low. Beats REI any day.

Roland
03-19-2005, 04:39
~~~ I wouldn't recomend buying the REI UL Peak poles. For some reason when the sections are accidently (or purposefully to check for the fault) pulled completely out of the other sections, then reinserted, they no longer will tighten and hold their length. My old komperdell poles (I am returning to the brand, I have been very happy with them) hold together just fine when this happened. ~~~ Pink,

Here are a few thoughts for your consideration:

1. REI Peak UL trekking poles are made by Komperdell.

2. Could it be that the poles were not defective? Perhaps the pole sections were loosened to the point that the locking mechanism spun freely within the shaft, failing to engage. If the expander doesn't make sufficient contact with the shaft walls, it will just sit 'n spin.

3. The REI Peak UL uses Komperdell's new locking mechanism, trademarked DuoLocks™. This is the same locking mechanism you will find in new Komperdell poles.

Good luck in your search.
Roland

chknfngrs
03-19-2005, 09:26
bring your poles back in to the store. I had one of their managers show me how to use them correctly. And, I love them even more for it. Sounds like you are not doing something right, especially if you went through more than two pairs of poles trying them out. I suggest, before ditching them outright, to try talking to someone at the store.

Whistler
03-19-2005, 13:16
I wouldn't recomend buying the REI UL Peak poles. For some reason when the sections are accidently (or purposefully to check for the fault) pulled completely out of the other sections, then reinserted, they no longer will tighten and hold their length.

This is "normal."

I've seen this same complaint about sections not tightening on the Peak ULs on 3-4 different web forums, from many different people. I even 'broke' one in REI the other day when I was just playing with one I pulled off the shelf.

You're not the only one. They definitely have some bugs to work out.
-Mark

minnesotasmith
03-19-2005, 13:30
1) They don't click half as loudly, bugging you and everyone around you, and scaring off the wildlife before you get a chance to see it.

2) They're free and easily replaceable along most of the Trail.

3) They adjust in height instantly (just grab higher or lower up) on downhills and uphills.

4) They're far more useful for defense against loose dogs.

5) You look more like a hiker and less like a dweeb or nerd with a hiking staff than with a set of oh-so-cute polesies.

Easy choice IMO...

Nameless
03-19-2005, 17:03
I didnt put this as a thread to bash hiking poles, but as one to inform hikers who chose to use them. I have a bad knee, and have had two major back sugeries, i use pole, they help get the weight off of me. If you dont want to use poles, fine with me.

I know the ULs are made by komperdell, which is why it surprized me that they dont work like my Komperdell compacts do. Those poles go together like a charm. And i like that hand support strappy thingy more on my komperdells, its a bit bigger and softer.

I have worked with the tightening mechanism on the end of the pole before reinserting it, so it has been everywhere from barely fit into the other pole enlarged to super tight. I have yet to get it to work properly. How do you get your poles to work again?

Thanks
Pink

Brock
03-20-2005, 13:00
When I first saw this thread, I was disheartened as I have just bought a pair of REI UL poles. But, I have been unable to recreate your problem.
When I first got them, I did accidentially pull them too far and seperate the poles. However, everytime since then, they have worked fine. I was not even aware of this being an issue until now.
I have tried to "break" my poles like you did above. Even untwisting the "spreader" mechanism and reinserting into the poles. I find that I cannot reinsert the pole when the spreader is screwed in too much, or not enough. They are shaped in a way so that their narrowest point is when they are in the middle of the screw somewhere. Even at their narrowest point, they still seem to grab the inside of the pole and lock properly.
I can't think what you may be doing wrong.
As I write this, I keep trying over and over again to "break" them (better now on purpose than accidentially later), but I can't do it.

Also, here are my reasons for using trekkiing poles over sticks.
1) 2 trekking poles are usually lighter than 1 stick
2) I get a better grip and less blisters using poles
3) I plan on using 1 or 2 poles in setting up my Tarptent
4) Trekking poles shrink to about 2' in length so they are easy to transport to and from the trail.
5) It is easier to find 2 trekking poles than 1 good hiking stick (let alone 2) This is especially true on certain stretches of trail that get used a lot.

On the other hand
1) Hiking sticks are cheaper
2) If you leave your stick behind, you can always find another (or can you)?
3) Sticks are more dynamic in height by simply moving your hand up and down the stick
4) Hiking sticks are cheaper ($100 for REI UL poles)

oruoja
03-20-2005, 13:29
Just a comment on REI. I have been a member for over twenty years and have noticed over the past year that whenever I go to buy an item it is almost never in stock. This applies to common items of gear, no unusual sizes or specialized features. I can understand being out of stock and having to order the item which has happened often in the past, but in the past they never charged extra for the shipping or refused to give me a "raincheck" if the item was on sale. On three occasions over the past month I get sent to customer service where the clerk researches availability and claims it's unknown when the item or size will become available, however, "one" item does exist in another out of state store and I can have it shipped to the store, but I'll have to pay the shipping charges. Unless you have absolutely have to have that piece of gear soon tell them to backorder and you can wait. It is surprising how quickly these items become available. I don't know if this is something that is unique to my local REi, but would be interested if any others have had similar experiences.

Tha Wookie
03-20-2005, 19:26
1) They don't click half as loudly, bugging you and everyone around you, and scaring off the wildlife before you get a chance to see it.

2) They're free and easily replaceable along most of the Trail.

3) They adjust in height instantly (just grab higher or lower up) on downhills and uphills.

4) They're far more useful for defense against loose dogs.

5) You look more like a hiker and less like a dweeb or nerd with a hiking staff than with a set of oh-so-cute polesies.

Easy choice IMO...

For the first time I completely agree with you. You forgot that they have a 100% money guaruntee.

And by the way, to the orginal post, since when did REI start making ANY high-quality gear?

NICKTHEGREEK
03-28-2005, 07:46
Pink,

Here are a few thoughts for your consideration:

1. REI Peak UL trekking poles are made by Komperdell.

2. Could it be that the poles were not defective? Perhaps the pole sections were loosened to the point that the locking mechanism spun freely within the shaft, failing to engage. If the expander doesn't make sufficient contact with the shaft walls, it will just sit 'n spin.

3. The REI Peak UL uses Komperdell's new locking mechanism, trademarked DuoLocks™. This is the same locking mechanism you will find in new Komperdell poles.

Good luck in your search.
Roland

Never had a problem with Komperdell's locks, and I take my poles apart frequently to clean and dry them to prevent corrosion.

Jeremy
03-30-2005, 01:40
The new REI Peak UL Trekking Poles SUCK!!! I even work at REI in ST. Louis. The poles are defective, and our store has refused to put them on the floor untill they are recalled and the problem is fixed. We keep getting more in, but we have our shipping/receiving guy send them back. We have notified the company a few times, but no luck so far. It saddens me that the quality of REI Gear and Apparel's stuff has decreased so much in the past few years. REI really is pushing their brand too much, and making too much REI stuff. Our assortment of sleeping bags, packs, etc. is overrun with REI crap, and not other brands. REI.COM still has plenty of good gear, and in our store there still is a handful of good gear, but it is declining. Just to let everyone know, cycling and family camping are REI's two best sellers. REI is now trying to outfit their stores better for theese two categories. High quality backpacking and adventure travel gear is declining in quantity in our store. The board of directors is just looking at what sells best and what makes the highest profit, and pushing that. The company has lost touch with its roots. It will probably keep getting worse. Yes, I am an REI member and employee, and yes I wish that I could still love the store as much as I used too, but things just aren't the same. Hopefully they will realize their mistake, and if they don't they will lose many loyal customers and gain a bunch of new ones that just want to buy North Face Denali jackets and North Face Roo packs. I did just find out that EMS was bought out by their employees, and they are trying to go back to their roots and start offering higher quality, lighter weight, better assorted camping and backpacking gear, so they might become my new favorite outdour store chain. Oh well, there will always be cottage industry companies that have great customer service and awesome high quality gear.

Oracle
03-30-2005, 09:32
Yeah, I've noticed that the REI near me in Atlanta has reorganized their store lately. IMHO, they should have left it the way it was. They removed all food from the store, they no longer sell any of the freeze-dried or dehydrated food, or energy bars (and they were the only place I knew to get the Bear Valley Mealpack and Pemmican bars, I guess I'll have to find another place or order them online). They used that space to expand their "knife, compass, and other unnecessary doo-dad" selection. They also decreased the space allotted to cooking gear and stoves, and eliminated many of the stoves and cooking gear that they were carrying a few months ago. I have been an REI member for a long time, and would buy things at REI even if I could get them cheaper elsewhere (usually online), because they offered things that I couldn't get locally anywhere else. Now, they're turning into a bike and doo-dad shop that also has a backpacking section, and that sucks. I'll be buying online from places like backcountrygear and others a lot more now.

smokymtnsteve
03-30-2005, 09:35
yea ..isn't free markets and captalism great!

REI is only responding to it's market!

Oracle
03-30-2005, 09:39
Yes, free markets and capitalism are great. And while REI may be "only responding to it's market", I believe that REI's market, especially in places like Atlanta that have plenty of bike shops but not a lot of outfitters, will react negatively to the changes, and REI will be left high and dry when the people that, individually, spend the most money there (who are probably still backpackers), go elsewhere. Not being loyal to your most loyal customers isn't sound business policy.

SGT Rock
03-30-2005, 09:49
Naw, if history is an indicator you will see more "Hiker Fashion" clothing with high price tags and less stuff that a backpacker would want. Usually just enough to make the shopper feel they are in a real gear store.

minnesotasmith
03-30-2005, 10:31
I'm planning on buying close to a grand worth of backpacking gear and supplies before my upcoming section hike. In Atlanta, is there a better place to go now instead? I need hiking shoes, a first-rate pack and sleeping bag, more Aqua-Mira, all sorts of stuff.

SGT Rock
03-30-2005, 10:32
Just take a trip up to Neels Gap and go to the outfitters there near the trail. They had a very good selection of stuff as I remember.

weary
03-30-2005, 10:37
For the first time I completely agree with (Minnesotasmith)
Me too. Actually, that's all I wanted to say, but WB insists on 10 characters.

Mags
03-30-2005, 13:00
I refuse to pay $100 for glorified ski poles.

When I need "trekking poles", I go to the Boulder Sports Recycler below where I work.

I get two poles. Costs me $10.

I used the same ski poles for the Long Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail (in addition to my normal snowshoeing and hiking) before they were too worn. 3000+ miles for $10. Not bad.

So, for $100 I can hike for 30000 miles using used ski poles. Does not collapse at bad times, hold my tarp up, and did I mention they were $10?

As for REI gear, I never bought REI gear before.

I will say that I have heard nothing but great things about the sub-kilo. Two lbs, 750 fill, DWR shel. On sale you can get it for $170. They come in a women's version, too. Everyone I know who has one loves it. I think it is the best bag in overall value right now.

Also heard good thingsl about the REI Risingstar. It is only $110 for a 3200 CI pack. At
3# 8oz, it is not the lightest pack...but is a nice happy "medium pack" for those who want to go lighter and want more traditional pack support. Many women I know like this pack becase it fits them well. MAny packs (including the lightweight packs that many of us prefer) are a better fit for men than women.

I am not a huge fan of REI by any means, but it makes no sense to dismiss a whole company as junk. Most of their stuff is indeed made for the fashion outdoors crowd, but so is most so-called outdoor gear in general. The key is to pick and choose stuff that is suitable for your actual use. And I think REI actually makes some gear for that.
(And that statement is coming for a guy who uses $10 ski poles and a $4 polyester dress shirt from the the thrift store for hiking!)

springerfever
03-30-2005, 16:46
Definately recommend the 1:30 trip from Atlanta to Neels Gap to visit Mountain Crossings for gear.

Not inexpensive, but this is THE best stuff for lightweight backpacking. They have limited space and can not afford to carry all the drivel out there, so you will only see the best/lightest/trail proven gear available....plus their staff is very knowledgeable and will give suggestions for furthur weight savings.

Hands down........my favorite outfitter !!!!

minnesotasmith
03-30-2005, 17:02
Does he carry Henry Shires' tarptents? I'm having problems getting Shires to be responsive via e-mail, and would rather just go pick one up somewhere.

Footslogger
03-30-2005, 17:29
Only way to get a Shire's Tarptent (other than used) is directly through Henry Shire's web site. They have been buy lately and were a tad slow in responding to my earlier e-mails this month. Then again ...they did do the bathtub floor upgrade on my Squall and got it back to me in less than 2 weeks.

'Slogger
AT 2003

RockyTrail
03-30-2005, 18:11
Naw, if history is an indicator you will see more "Hiker Fashion" clothing with high price tags and less stuff that a backpacker would want. Usually just enough to make the shopper feel they are in a real gear store.You mean those people in the REI ads? So THAT's who their real customer base is! hee hee

I always thought it would be funny (and a great attention grabber for REI as well) if just for once they put some realistic-looking people and campsites in their catalog. It would create quite a sensation. Hey, April Fools day is next week... :D

JoeHiker
04-25-2005, 10:35
Just an FYI for anybody who might be having this problem with the REI Peak Carbon Fiber Poles. I bought a pair of them recently and I noticed the same problem. I couldn't get the lower section to lock.

Then I tried just pinching a bit on the lower ring section while I was twisting the lower pole section below it and voila! it locked up right away.

minnesotasmith
04-25-2005, 14:10
It arrived, but I haven't had the chance to open the box, set it up, and look at it. (I'm still in the field, hundreds of miles away from home; should be back within a week.) When I have set it up and looked it over, I'll post about that.

Singletrack
05-05-2005, 00:15
I had a pair of REI Summit poles made by Komperell until Monday of this week. About 1/4 mile north of Chattahoochee Gap, one of the poles snapped. It was a clean break. If you would like to see it, it is in the garbage can at Unicoi Gap. The other one is in my garbage can at home. Bouught them last year at REI for 60 bucks. Guess it pays to spend a little more for quality. Yes, I took a fall. Scraped my arm. Bought me a new pair of Leki's.

JoeHiker
05-05-2005, 09:12
I had a pair of REI Summit poles made by Komperell until Monday of this week. About 1/4 mile north of Chattahoochee Gap, one of the poles snapped. . Bought me a new pair of Leki's.
What are the Summit Poles made out of? Are they carbon fiber?

Frosty
05-05-2005, 10:07
yea ..isn't free markets and captalism great!

REI is only responding to it's market!Is it really? Or is it changing its market from "clothing and gear for outdoors people" to "clothing and gear for the fashion conscious who don't use the great outdoors"

I think it is the latter because there is much mor money to be made there. They are competing with fashion clothing stores instead of Campmor.

The Kittery Trading Post and LL Bean both started as outfitter stores. The Trading Post still carries gear for the outdoors person - hiking, hunting, camping, fishing, etc etc. They have a great store but will never be mega-rich. LL Bean has followed Eddie Bauer into the world of yuppifed clothing. They still have gear, but not like they used to, and their focus is definately on the fashion conscious. They make a lot more money than the Trading Post.

I used to buy gear kits (sew it yourself) from Eddie Bauer. I think, like REI and LLBean and EMS to a lesser extent, it has abandoned its market in search of new markets to make money.

Nothing wrong with making money. Money is good. But a company needs to define its mission. It can be to supply the outdoors person (hiker/hunter/fisher) with the gear he/she needs and wants, or it can be to make as much money as possible any way it can, in this case by focusing on clothing designed to look "outdoorsy."

For some people/companies, money isn't the ultimate goal; for others it is.

Making as much money as you possible can any way you can has come to be defined as capitalism, but it rreally isn't. Capitalism merely gives you the CHOICE of which way you can go.