PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Confusion...

Harpua
02-10-2012, 16:37
So i am now thinking about buying the Tarptent Squall 2 instead of the Tarptent Stratospire 2. However once i started to do some research on the Tarptent Squall 2, I came across the Gossamer Gear/Tarptent Squall 2. Can someone please help me and explain the differences between these two products.

Chubbs4U
02-10-2012, 17:01
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/gossamer_gear_tarptent_squall_classic_tent_review. html

this is what I have found.

Harpua
02-10-2012, 17:02
sorry its actually called the "gossamer gear/tarptent squall classic"

bamboo bob
02-10-2012, 17:18
I have used a Henry Shires Squall many times. It's a good shelter. It requires being choosy in siting like any tarp and I honestly think Henry Shires is not as durable as I would like but that's the price you pay for light weight. I'm told that later models are made with much better durability and mine is from 2004 or so.

Tinker
02-10-2012, 17:20
The GG Squall Classic is made from spinnaker cloth, which is lighter than the silnylon that Henry uses.

I just checked the GG website. I didn't see the Squall Classic available.

skinewmexico
02-12-2012, 03:53
Gossamer Gear hasn't been able to get any acceptable spinnaker cloth for a while.

Ender
02-12-2012, 09:15
So i am now thinking about buying the Tarptent Squall 2 instead of the Tarptent Stratospire 2. However once i started to do some research on the Tarptent Squall 2, I came across the Gossamer Gear/Tarptent Squall 2. Can someone please help me and explain the differences between these two products.

Mainly the difference is that you can buy a Squall 2, but the GG Squall Classic hasn't been available for purchase for about a year now.

Other than that, the Classic is a great design, lots of room inside, and the Squall 2 has been fine tuned to pitch better.

garlic08
02-12-2012, 10:02
The GG Squall Classic is made from spinnaker cloth, which is lighter than the silnylon that Henry uses.

I just checked the GG website. I didn't see the Squall Classic available.

That's my understanding, that GG will use spinnaker. I tried a spinnaker pack once to save a couple ounces over silnylon, and never again. It wasn't long before the weight of duct tape I needed to hold it together exceeded the weight of the fabric. So I'd be very reluctant to try it in a shelter.

Harpua
02-12-2012, 11:58
thanks everyone, i think im gonna go for Henry's version of the squall

Lyle
02-12-2012, 18:47
That's my understanding, that GG will use spinnaker. I tried a spinnaker pack once to save a couple ounces over silnylon, and never again. It wasn't long before the weight of duct tape I needed to hold it together exceeded the weight of the fabric. So I'd be very reluctant to try it in a shelter.

I've had a Gossamer Gear The One, made from Spinnaker fabric for a few years now. I've had it out in torrential, all-night rain; high wind; sleet; and snow - on the AT, in northern Michigan and the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota. I've loaned it out to a friend who used it for a very windy night on Max Patch. I've had one auxiliary pole tie come loose. Absolutely no problems with the fabric showing any type of failure or strain.

My point is, used with reasonable care, pitched properly, Spinnaker makes a fine material for shelters. Just wish Gossamer Gear could find an adequate supplier.