PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Trail Blues?!? im bored of waiting!

SETX_Mason
02-10-2012, 17:56
Just got my last package from Rei,.... Etrex20(the AT TOPO even has the shelters!), solar panel, mid weight thermals, bugheadnet thingy for these blackflys yall have up north( my sanity is important lol)

and thats it....

I leave on March the 12th... just got to keep working and save as much money as possible im looking at having about $4,500 but im 8th of a Jew so i know i can squeeze my budget even tighter over the next few weeks( living off of 60 bucks a week already)

So... Ya,... lol I dont Know what to do with my remaining time.
Im so ready for the trail, ordinary life just feels like its in my way.
I want to be out there, this none AwesomeHiking time is getting in my way!
I find my self staring at the Calendar way to often to be normal lol
Pre-trail Blues or some thing?!?!

I decided to do this a year ago.... why all of the sudden is it driving me up a wall to wait one more month? :/

carpattack
02-10-2012, 18:00
Same boat. Only working 3 days a week to kill all my unused vacation time so a lot of extra time to spare before my hike (which also begins the 12th)!

Lone Wolf
02-10-2012, 18:03
I leave on March the 12th... just got to keep working and save as much money as possible im looking at having about $4,500 but im 8th of a Jew so i know i can squeeze my budget even tighter over the next few weeks( living off of 60 bucks a week already)

/

what are the 7 other religions you follow

bamboo bob
02-10-2012, 18:06
Well buddy, all of my wives and kids have been Jews and it hasn't helped me save a nickel.

SETX_Mason
02-10-2012, 18:07
lol 8th Jew by blood. I dont do Religion, im into Jesus. :D

SETX_Mason
02-10-2012, 18:09
Well buddy, all of my wives and kids have been Jews and it hasn't helped me save a nickel.

that got a good laugh out of me :D

bamboo bob
02-10-2012, 18:10

Jesus Alou ? The other Jesus is a religion.

Rayo
02-10-2012, 18:11

Not to sound rude, but what the heck does that mean?

Rayo
02-10-2012, 18:12

I was referring to the second part of what was said "no religion, just jesus." (?)

Lone Wolf
02-10-2012, 18:13

being jewish is a religion. it ain't in your blood

Spokes
02-10-2012, 18:15
Just got my last package from Rei,.... Etrex20(the AT TOPO even has the shelters!):/

You're gonna love that eTrex20. Don't really need it for the AT but fun just the same. I traded up from an old Legend model. The 20 is so much faster acquiring and holding sat signals.

Cheers!

SETX_Mason
02-10-2012, 18:18
My Great grandmother was a Jew and married out of her faith when she got to America, My Grandmother thus is half Jew, my Dad a quarter, and me :P a 8th.... kinda like as Gas Tank not much left but it will get me by. My first Girlfriend was German(her great grandfather SS officer) lol got to love America.

SETX_Mason
02-10-2012, 18:19
being jewish is a religion. it ain't in your blood

your 100% right im not Jewish

Lone Wolf
02-10-2012, 18:21
your 100% right im not Jewish....

.....at all....

SETX_Mason
02-10-2012, 18:23
My Great grandmother was a Jew and married out of her faith when she got to America, My Grandmother thus is half Jew, my Dad a quarter, and me :P a 8th.... kinda like as Gas Tank not much left but it will get me by. My first Girlfriend was German(her great grandfather SS officer) lol got to love America.

Oh the last part!... basically every day i try my best to walk a path to Jesus, Rules Religion Regulation only change the out side of you, keeping a relationship with Christ will change your heart

SETX_Mason
02-10-2012, 18:27
.....at all....
:D arguing this isnt going any where will it lol

SETX_Mason
02-10-2012, 18:28
BTW how did we get so off topic?

MedicineWoman2012
02-10-2012, 18:35
I think I was better at waiting for Christmas to arrive at 5 yrs of age! I completely understand your excitement and anticipation.

bamboo bob
02-10-2012, 18:36
We need a topic?

IrishBASTARD
02-10-2012, 18:54
No onesi religion makes you what you are...its you who makes yourself what you are as well as your Ethnic background. The reason why you have the "blues" is because your anxious to start A.S.A.P and each day will feel like a week...and so on and so forth. Its the mentality of us Christians waiting for Christmas to arrive...until you reach the age to where you cant wait until its over.

mgeiger
02-10-2012, 19:26
Back to the topic. Savor the anticipation. One you start it's the beginning of the end. If that makes sense.

WingedMonkey
02-10-2012, 19:37
When you are not working to build up that bank (a good idea), walk..and then walk some more. Put on the gear and the clothes and walk again. Break stuff in, try stuff out. Even if it's around the streets or a park...walk.

seasparrow
02-14-2012, 23:12
Open ya Guide start planning ,read a book A WALK INTO THE WOODS (http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-Appalachian-Official/dp/0767902521),look over ya gear,make a gear video for youtube,post it on W.B. ,camp in your back yard,go for a walk,quit your job early,watch movie (http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail/dp/B004FN253I/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1329275283&sr=1-1-catcorr): on Netflix.Tell all ya friends your plans.Pack some boxes.Eat only camp food for your last days before you leave.Get some leaves and put them near ya toilet.If all that don't work.....

pdcolelli42
02-19-2012, 12:21
Only 38 more days for me! Every day goes by so slow. I've already quit my job and sold almost all my possessions besides the gear I'll need to thru with. So I really have nothing to do but sit and think about the trail. Fiddle with my gear here and there, look at the guidebook pages for GA for the 50th time, and read random info on the internet pertaining to my hike. I see myself doing alot more walking in the next 38 days and even more the the next 4-5 months after that! I guess I'll just go walk around the streets/woods here... what else can I do?

Derek81pci
02-19-2012, 12:41
Spend your spare time working out. The better you start, the less exhausted you will be at the end of everyday. Imagfine being a SOBO'r... the waiting game is KILLING me! Especially when I have everything ready to go lol.

TOMP
02-19-2012, 13:03
Only 38 more days for me! Every day goes by so slow. I've already quit my job and sold almost all my possessions besides the gear I'll need to thru with. So I really have nothing to do but sit and think about the trail. Fiddle with my gear here and there, look at the guidebook pages for GA for the 50th time, and read random info on the internet pertaining to my hike. I see myself doing alot more walking in the next 38 days and even more the the next 4-5 months after that! I guess I'll just go walk around the streets/woods here... what else can I do?

Do some core strenght exercises, this will help you carry your pack with less effort.

max patch
02-19-2012, 15:12
Spokes already told you you don't need the etrex 20 (fun to play with on weekenders but just just extra weight and bulk on a thru) so I'll just point out that the black flies will be long gone by the time you reach NE so you can return that.

Many Moons
02-19-2012, 15:34
It's called "stoked" the build up for the big ride. In your case it will be a long walk. I have never hiked yet and am stoked for my long April section hike. Don't know much about hiking yet, but when you look forward to doing something your excitement builds until start date. You can help with controlling the excitement by messing with your gear, look at maps, read WB posts, exercise to release endorphin's (walked my 2 dogs 4 miles in cold rain today), and buying your first food supply. This is how I have been controlling the wait.

On the religion vs jesus. Crazy you said that, went to a funeral in Boone NC and had a preacher from Mountain City TN. He said one of the best things ever if someone say's you need religion-run, his point of view was to get a personal relationship with GOD, not religion. Thought that was way cool coming from an old school mountain man!!!!! I see your point!! GOD speed on your hike!!

Just got my last package from Rei,.... Etrex20(the AT TOPO even has the shelters!), solar panel, mid weight thermals, bugheadnet thingy for these blackflys yall have up north( my sanity is important lol)

and thats it....

So... Ya,... lol I dont Know what to do with my remaining time.
Im so ready for the trail, ordinary life just feels like its in my way.
I want to be out there, this none AwesomeHiking time is getting in my way!
I find my self staring at the Calendar way to often to be normal lol
Pre-trail Blues or some thing?!?!

I decided to do this a year ago.... why all of the sudden is it driving me up a wall to wait one more month? :/

Storm
02-19-2012, 18:39
Being the "old guy" I'm not getting too excited about the hike. I know from past experiences that the reality of the doing never quite meets the expectations. I hope I'm wrong and every day will be easy and exciting but life doesn't usually work like that. So I guess I'm going into this expecting things to be bad so that I will be delighted when they aren't.

bamboo bob
02-19-2012, 18:47
My wife says I have Hikers Amnesia. I only remember the fun parts and not being wet and cold and hungry. I once said "this is a stupid hobby, i'm not going to do it anymore". She made me write it down and took out the note every spring. that was about 7000 miles ago. It's not a hobby it's a DISEASE!

pdcolelli42
02-19-2012, 19:02
Many Moons, I too went out and hiked for a few hours today in that same rain! I went to Harris lake park if you're familiar. Did the peninsula loop twice for a total of 10mi. Unfortunately the trail is totally flat... as with the rest of the terrain here. I dread driving my car to go hike. I just want to wake up, pack up, and start walking. Then repeat...

seasparrow
02-20-2012, 01:28
Sleep on the floor for a few knights ,see if that gets ya ready.Don't take a bath /shower for 4 days.Quit shaving. Grow a beard.