PDA

View Full Version : would this strategy work for thru hiking? time per day instead of miles?

DavidNH
03-19-2005, 10:33
Hi,

I consider my self a prospective 2006 thru hiker in as much as I am currently giving it serious consideration though I have not gotten to planning specifics yet.

I am wondering, suppose in stead of aiming for say 10 or 15 or X miles of hiking per day, suppose I ignore milage and just commit to hiking for 8 hours or 10 hours (not including rest stops of over 5 minutes or so). One thing that is a bit of a turn off to me and that I REFUSE to get involved in is this speed hiking concept were folks want to do the trail in 4 months or three..maybe even two?? I want to hike the entire trail in one hiking season. I want to enjoy myself and soak up the beauty, the solitude, and where possible the social experience and make a friend or two. I most absoutely do NOT want to get in to this miles competion ( oh I did 25 miles yesterday, gotta do 20 today, so how far did you walk?? etc etc etc). I would plan on roughly one zero day per week and when hiking hike for full days or at least 8 hours anyway. My theory is that if I hike consistently a certain number of hours, I will make enough time on the easier parts to make up for a slowed pace on the harder parts. Therefore the miles would drop off and I would advance up the trail out of Dixie to the beautiful wilds of Maine! Whether this would work in practice though I can't say as I have not thru hiked before.

As a corallary to this why are folks so milage concious and competative about it? Is it just the thru hiker mindset? is it necessary?

feed back appreciated,

nhhiker

Spirit Walker
03-19-2005, 10:40
I knew a couple who hiked every day until 5:00. They would stop wherever they found themselves around that time. They started fairly early in the morning. They were utterly consistent. They finished about a month ahead of the people they started with. Most thruhikers do three miles one day and 20 the next, or vice versa. They'll do a string of big miles, then stay in town for three days. While a lot of kids passed us, we ended up finishing ahead of a lot of younger faster hikers because we just kept on going, all day every day.

On the PCT and CDT most hikers hike until just before dark. They cook where there is water, but sleep wherever they find themselves at the end of the day. Because there are no shelters, there is more freedom in where you camp. That's what makes it possible to hike 2700 miles in less time than AT hikers hike 2100.

neo
03-19-2005, 10:45
i am on the trail 12 hours a day counting rest stops and so forth,i average 20 to 25 miles a day,i prefer long hiking days due to i cant set still,i hike alone and camp alone much as possible,but every one should just hike their on hike:cool: neo

Mouse
03-19-2005, 11:17
Sounds good to me. I did not pay much attention to daily mileage except for journaling. (reading those Trailjournals with a computed mileage way below the real miles hiked used used to drive me nuts so I vowed to keep mine accurate) I started as soon as I could see the trail, hiked to about 4pm, took as few zero days as I dared, and let destiny unfold as it would.

I ended up being rather slow, being 44 and a bit well-used before starting. I still finished in just over six months, well before cold set in up north. When I looked at the numbers later, my daily average was around 12 miles a day. But there were many days when the very best I could do was under 10 miles, such as in the Whites. So daily mileage varies so much from the terrain that it is almost silly to set a daily mileage goal.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-19-2005, 11:26
I think you can end up in a big "do loop" on thiis. The slower you go, the more you need to carry as far as food, water and fuel goes. The more you carry, generally the slower you go. See what I'm saying. I agree that the speed hike aspect has lots of drawbacks but you have to set some reasonable distance goals that at least give you a chance of completing the miles within your time budget.
The longest I've ever done was right at 165 miles and on the C&O canal towpath not the AT. It was very easy walking with zero (almost) uphill so I could sprint when I felt like making progress and drift when there was something worth checking out or I just liked the moment. The only downside was that you are supposed to camp only in designated areas that were 5-8 miles apart in general so it was like shelter-ratting in a way, there was a minimum distance I had to cover, I planned and took no zero days and no town stops that took me more than 1 hour off the path. And I did it solo so no partner issues. My longest day was about 15 hours shortest about 10 hours, (wake up to fast asleep) and I won't even mention miles except I did the fews miles in the longest day.
I won't pretend that there's much in common between my stroll and an AT thru hike beyond my pack and tent, but I walked my own walk and hit my goal.

Peaks
03-19-2005, 11:54
Look at it this way. While everyone's pace varies, the typical hiking pace for most mortals is around 2 miles per hour. So, if you hike for 8 hours per day, then you have covered 16 miles. Do that for 6 days per week, and you have done 96 miles in a week. That's a respectable distance for people doing a thru-hike.

minnesotasmith
03-19-2005, 13:24
"As a corallary to this why are folks so mil[e]age con[s]cious and competa[i]tive about it? Is it just the thru hiker mindset? is it necessary?"
1) I don't believe I'm missing out a bit if I get to see 20 miles of AT a day instead of 10. I would walk at close to the same speed either way; the difference would be in the number of hours I'd be in camp picking out navel lint, instead of hiking and seeing different parts of the Trail. In fact, I'd think that I was having richer days doing more miles than fewer, as I got to see more of the Trail that day.

2) Every month I'm not working, it costs me thousands of dollars. Given that IMO speeding up my through-hike will cost me nothing in the way of richness of the experience, doing as many miles each week as I can would seem to come without unacceptable cost, and to have major benefits. After all, many people can take off 3 /12 months who can't take off 6 months; only for a CDT hike can I see the latter as justifiable for myself.

Kerosene
03-19-2005, 13:31
During the longer days of summer, you might also think about breaking up the mileage with an early-afternoon "siesta" at a nice viewpoint or shelter. Combine that with dinner at another shelter followed by another hour or so of hiking and you've split the day up nicely: morning mileage in somewhat cooler temps, 1-2 hour siesta, after mileage leading up to dinner, 60-90 minute dinner, another 1-2 hours of hiking stopping 30 minutes before sunset. If you start out by 7 AM, then you could walk for 8-10 hours easily, which feels a lot different from walking for 10 hours straight.

On nice mornings I will may break camp without breakfast, stopping at a nice viewpoint in a few miles to eat. Very relaxing and meditative.

rambunny
03-19-2005, 14:07
This is basically how i hike also and i've thru'd 3 times.Every year in "gasp" PA ,i set up camp somewhere and think i wonder how many i did today-each year it's just shy of 30. That's an unintentionally long day for me. If a milage mentality hiker asks you in the morning "how many you doing today?" drive them nuts by putting your hand sideways in the air and say"when the sun is 3 fingers from the mountain ,this is when i will lay down" It helps you focus on the journey. Why bring babylonian quirks to heaven. Have a great time dreaming till 2006-the trail before the trail is precious also.

kyerger
03-19-2005, 15:37
I have a simple question. How does one know how many miles they walk in a day on the trail? Is there mile stickers like on the interstate highway system? Ant help in this would be helpful. I am planning a flip-flop hike in 2006 also. Can not wait to get out there. Thanks every one

Peaks
03-19-2005, 16:01
I have a simple question. How does one know how many miles they walk in a day on the trail? Is there mile stickers like on the interstate highway system? Ant help in this would be helpful. I am planning a flip-flop hike in 2006 also. Can not wait to get out there. Thanks every one

Well, there are a couple of ways. One way is to push along a bicycle wheel with an odometer on it. But, it's probably easier to carry the data book and subtract the mileage point where you stop from the mileage point where you started.

The Old Fhart
03-19-2005, 16:06
kyerger-"How does one know how many miles they walk in a day on the trail?"If you are carrying the Thru-Hiker's Handbook, or one of the trail guides; and a map, these give you an excellent idea of where you are all the time. They give distances between shelters, road crossings, summits, distances to resupply points, etc., so it is pretty easy. If you don't already have one of these guides or the maps, get them from the ATC or your local outfitter and start planning your hike.

minnesotasmith
03-19-2005, 16:39
If you have any reference materials at all along, and know where you are. From the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club website:

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/description.html

Appalachian Trail in Georgia:
Miles• 00.0 Springer Mountain (3782 ft) is Southern terminus of the A.T. Bronze plaque on rock, sign and register nearby. Good views to west. Mount Katahdin in Maine is 2155 miles north via the white-blazed trail.
• 00.2 Springer Mountain Shelter to right on side trail with privy and reliable spring. Established tent sites nearby.
• 00.9 USFS Road #42 (parking)-Now a USFS fee service area! $3/day/car.
• 02.5 Stover Creek Shelter (2850 ft) with all-season stream nearby. Located left of A.T. down old logging road.
• 04.1 Three Forks, where three streams converge to form Noontootla Creek. Campsites available north of A.T. along Long Creek.
• 07.6 Hawk Mountain Shelter (3200 ft) with privy and water down path behind shelter.
• 08.1 Hightower Gap (2854 ft), junction with gravel USFS Road #42.
• 14.9 Gooch Mountain Shelter to left on short side trail. New in 2001. Excellent spring, tent sites.
• 16.4 Gooch Gap (2784 ft), USFS Road #42 leads 2.7 miles to Suches, Georgia.
• 20.0 Woody Gap (3150 ft), paved GA Hwy. 60 with good parking. Suches, Georgia is 1.9 miles to left.
• 21.0 Big Cedar Mountain (3737 ft), with good views from rock ledges.
• 23.7 Henry Gap (3100 ft) is 200 ft left on side trail. Unpaved road leads to GA Hwy. 180.
• 25.3 Jarrard Gap (3250 ft), blue-blazed trail to left leads one mile to Lake Winfield Scott State Park and GA Hwy. 180.
• 27.4 Slaughter Gap (3800 ft), blue-blazed trail to left leads 2.7 miles to Lake Winfield Scott State Park. Last water until Neels Gap is spring on A.T., 0.2 mile before Slaughter Gap.
• 28.3 Blood Mountain (4461 ft, highest point on the A.T. in Georgia). Blood Mountain Shelter with privy located on summit. Closest water is in Slaughter Gap one mile and 660 feet descent south on A.T. Panoramic views in all directions.
• 30.7 Neels Gap (3125 ft), paved US 19/129 with parking at Byron Reese Memorial north on highway. Walasi-Yi Center has hiker supplies, equipment and hostel available on first come, first serve basis.
• 34.1 Wolf Laurel Top (3766 ft) with campsite and views to right in clearing.
• 36.2 Tesnatee Gap (3138 ft), paved GA Hwy. 348 (Richard B. Russell Scenic Highway) with parking.
• 36.9 Whitley Gap Shelter (3200 ft) is right 1.2 miles on side trail with magnificent views in season, dependable spring.
• 37.1 Hogpen Gap (3450 ft) on GA Hwy. 348 with parking.
• 41.3 Low Gap Shelter (3010 ft) is right via side trail into cove with spring and stream nearby.
• • 46.3 Chattahoochee Gap (3500 ft), spring on right via side trail is headwaters of Chattahoochee River.
• 48.0 Site of former Rocky Knob shelter. Area still usable as campsite. Spring downhill below old shelter site.
• 48.5 Blue Mountain Shelter (3780 ft) via side trail to left. Spring on A.T. just before turnoff to shelter.
• 50.7 Unicoi Gap (2949 ft), paved GA Hwy. 75 with parking.
• 55.1 Tray Gap (3847 ft), junction with Tray Mountain Road (USFS Road #79).
• 55.9 Tray Mountain (4430 ft) with outstanding views from summit. Descending to north, trail is rough, rocky and steep.
• 56.2 Tray Mountain Shelter (4070 ft) is left via side trail, good spring downhill behind shelter.
• 61.5 Addis Gap (3304 ft) campsite with stream to right 0.5 mile down old fire road.
• 62.6 Kelly Knob (4276 ft), summit is 0.2 mile to left.
• 63.3 Deep Gap Shelter (3350 ft) is 0.3 mile to right. Water in piped spring just before shelter.
• 66.8 Dicks Creek Gap (2675 ft), paved US 76 with picnic tables and seasonal stream.
• 71.1 Plumorchard Gap Shelter (3090 ft), located to right of gap, down side trail. Spring near shelter.
• 75.6 Bly Gap (3840 ft), on Georgia/North Carolina state line, is marked by gnarled oak tree and fine views to north. Good campsite and water to right below clearing.
• 78.4 Muskrat Creek Shelter (4590 ft), in North Carolina, is to right with privy beyond shelter. Water in small creek that crosses A.T.

Blue Jay
03-19-2005, 16:49
This might be a wild concept, but how about forgetting the miles and the time and the minisota money. Why do you and almost everyone, absolutely have to stress and obsess about some abstract concept every day. Try this, get up when you want each day, walk as far as you feel like, stop when you feel like, as often during the day as you feel like and when you find a good place to sleep, do so. Don't spend a lot of time in towns and you'll make it to Maine when you get there. If you want to be slave to miles, money or time, keep working.

Nameless
03-19-2005, 17:15
Starting my SOBO June 4

The only constraints on time in a friend for the first 114 miles. But I have no plan to be anywhere at any certian time. I will hike when i want to,rest when ineed it, go into town when I need supplies. If i do a twentyfive mile day, fine, if i did a five mile day fine. I'll get to georgia when i get to georgia, i'm not going to do this every year, so i might as well enjoy it while i am there. So to me, that means carry my well planned out 14 lbs pack, and dont worry about where i sleep the next night

Pink

minnesotasmith
03-19-2005, 17:28
It is an eminently rational act to weigh them in advance of a major decision, such as undertaking a thru-hike. Likewise, attempting to reduce the negative aspects of a decision is rational as well. Think of a prospective thru-hiker reducing his pack weight without significantly affecting his camp comfort or safety; dropping the lost wage price he has to pay from doing a thru-hike may be considered an equivalent for his life.

Many of us here would love the chance to at least try the life of a career hiker, who is on the trail more of the time than not. However, for anyone who is married (or wants to be), has children, elderly parents, or is not so rich that they still have to work, that's not how it is.

Besides, what happened in your mind to letting other people H their OH? If I want to haul butt on my thru-hike, skipping Trail Days and so on, that's really my deal, just as it's someone else's if they want to take 7 months.

DavidNH
03-19-2005, 18:04
Hi,

here is a clarification on my post.

I was basically trying to ask that if I were to hike from say 8 am to 6pm per day or some set schedule, and not get caught up in how fast or far I walk in a day..would I be able to make it to Kahtahdin in that season...ie before winter does? I know the park closes by October 15. I would plan to start late march.

I respect the hike your own hike philosophy and if some want to cruise the trail in "record time" that is fine but it is not me. I can see a day off in town for rest and clean up but cant really see several days at once. Afterall..it is towns that cost the money. On the trail alls I gotta pay fore is my food and the occassional care taker. I think life on the trail gotta be a whole lot cheaper than at home. Only trouble is one has to quit job to do it. My job is nothing more than a pay check to me though.

One thing I have often found curious is that many hikers put more energy into hiking fast or far..ie into getting there...than into the journey self..enjoying where they are.
David

plodder
03-19-2005, 18:21
well said. now go swipe me a pair of those fancy limmers.

Slimer
03-19-2005, 19:09
I refused to set a schedule. I walked into the woods trying to get away from a schedule. I simply walked until I felt like calling it a day. If it was midday and there was a beautiful stream or waterfall etc etc. and it had a good campsite, then I quit for the day. I saw people who set intense daily schedules for themselves and they rushed right by the very things that the trip is all about simply trying to stay on time.However, everybody walks their own walk and you'll figure a system out as you go along.

Jack Tarlin
03-19-2005, 20:32
Over the years, I've seen many folks with pre-set schedules of one sort or another. Some folks have their ENTIRE trip pre-planned long before they ever set foot on the trail.....they actually can tell you where they're going to be at the end of Day 76, where they'll be camping on Day 134, where there one day off in August will be, etc.

Some folks don't have it planned like this, but they INSIST on hiking a set number of miles each day or week, or a set number of hours that they hike.

Some folks limit in advance how much time off they can take each week or month.

There are all sorts of ways to pre-set or pre-plan your thru-hike, and in most cases, these plans are abandoned, and with good reason. The pre-set plans don't allow for much flexibility, and all sorts of unplanned things happen on thru hikes that can throw your schedule way off. For example, in 2003, who knew that it was going to rain 24 days in a row? In 2001, who knew that there would be weeks at a time when it didn't go below 95 degrees all day long? This year, who knew there'd be such concentrated periods of snow and cold that caused people to hike at a slower pace, achieve fewer miles, and take so much unplanned time off? (I've met dozens of folks in the past week and a half who had to COMPLETELY re-think their original schedules and plans......the happiest ones were folks who had NO rigid schedules, and figured, quite rightly, that they had ample time to make up the lost time and miles when the weather improves).

Over the years, I've seen two main problems with having pre-set schedules, mileage quotas, hiking hour quotas, etc.:

*The first problem is that the schedule (i.e. the daily requirement of what you're demanding from yourself) becomes this 900-pound gorilla that controls every aspect of your trip. You can tell the hikers that have rigid pre-set schedules.....they're the ones who are checking their watches thirty times a day. They are also the ones who don't take side trips to scenic views and waterfalls, even if these spots are a few hundred yards off the Trail; they're the ones who don't stop at overlooks or waterfalls; they don't stop for an hour and go swimming; they don't decide at two in the afternoon that they've hiked enough that day, that they're at a beautiful spot, and they wanna stop for the day and make up the "lost"mileage later. When you have a rigid pre-planned schedule, EVERYTHING else becomes secondary, and your trip starts revolving around your need to "make" the miles you've demanded that you must do.....even when you don't want to do them, or perhaps shouldn't do them (threatening weather, injuries that need rest, etc).

*The second problem is that even if you DO manage to keep to your schedule and planned pace, you often discover that you're simply not having a whole lot of fun: You're tired all the time; you realize you're missing a lot of fun stuff; you skip trail towns or points of interest, or you spend less time at them than you'd like; you miss out on camping at cool places or staying with good people becuase you "have" to do a few more miles or you "have" to hike a few hours more before stoping for the day. You miss out on "spontaneous" stuff, like taking a side trip to Washington, or accepting an invite from a Trail friend to visit their home, or to do something special on the 4th of July, etc. In short, you miss out on a lot of the totally unexpeced and unplanned stuff that for many folks become some of the big highlights of their hike.

To sum this up, I've noticed that the main trouble with having firm pre-planning for your trip results in one of two things:

*You stick to your plans absolutely, and without deviation, and your 24-hour concentration on achieving your daily goals starts to drive you crazy.

*You realize that you WON'T be able to stick to your plans absolutlely, and your failure to achieve this goal starts to drive you crazy.

I think people do better to have "approximate" schedules, that allow for some flexibility. I think it's best that people keep some spontaneity in their hikes, and retain the right to alter their original plans at any time. I think folks are happier when they take things as they come, and that while they have a rough framework as far as pacing, mileage, etc., I think they're better off keeping it approximate, and in realizing that there are all sorts of factors and unforseen circumstances that can affect their plans.

If you don't set yourself an absolute daily game-plan, then you won't kill yourself trying to stick to it, and you won't hate yourself when you're NOT able to stick to it.

Do the miles you feel like doing, don't do them when you feel like taking it easier, go for the bigger days when the terrain, weather, temperature make it easier to do so, and
lighten up a bit when these factors aren't in your favor. You should go for big days when you WANT to and not when you HAVE to.

The best thing you can do with your precise, pre-planned, orchestrated, complete, exact daily schedule of your entire hike is to throw it away and take things as they come. You'll have a much better time, and you'll still get to Maine.

lumpy
03-19-2005, 21:29
Jack Tarlin and Blue Jay, that's the best advice I've heard yet. I've been planning my NOBO thru-hike for Feb 2006 and had it all rough planned out. Well, I just shredded it! I'm re-thinking the whole process. As a matter of fact, I might change from NOBO to SOBO for the solitude and less time constraints. I'm in no hurry at all and want to really experience my hike, my way. If I hike for 3 hours or 12 hours, who cares, especially SOBO I won't have that Oct 15th MUST complete before Baxter closes mantra hangn'in over my head. I truly appreciate your advice and insight as this will be my first thru-hike and hopefully not my last. Time, what is time? It don't mean noth'in man, especially being in the outdoors. Thanks guys!

weary
03-19-2005, 21:50
Hi,
....I am wondering, suppose in stead of aiming for say 10 or 15 or X miles of hiking per day, suppose I ignore milage and just commit to hiking for 8 hours or 10 hours (not including rest stops of over 5 minutes or so). .... As a corallary to this why are folks so milage concious and competative about it? Is it just the thru hiker mindset? is it necessary?

Most everyone walks hours, not miles, I suspect. We just brag about the miles when the hours achieve big miles.

Another good technique that I find almost always works is to keep putting one foot in front of the other. That almost always that gets me nearer to wherever it is I want to go to.

Weary

oldfivetango
03-19-2005, 23:04
I knew a couple who hiked every day until 5:00. They would stop wherever they found themselves around that time. They started fairly early in the morning. They were utterly consistent. They finished about a month ahead of the people they started with. Most thruhikers do three miles one day and 20 the next, or vice versa. They'll do a string of big miles, then stay in town for three days. While a lot of kids passed us, we ended up finishing ahead of a lot of younger faster hikers because we just kept on going, all day every day.

On the PCT and CDT most hikers hike until just before dark. They cook where there is water, but sleep wherever they find themselves at the end of the day. Because there are no shelters, there is more freedom in where you camp. That's what makes it possible to hike 2700 miles in less time than AT hikers hike 2100. Roger all that-what i have always wondered is this-why does anyone want
to sleep on wooden floors with mice and strangers snoring all night when they already have a tent or tarp in their pack?
Oldfivetango:-?

DavidNH
03-19-2005, 23:59
Jack,

I love your reply. And you have hiked the AT how many times? (several if I am not mistaken). so good advice from one who knows from whence he speaks!
nhhiker

Drum Stick
03-20-2005, 08:47
I am frankly amazed that there is not more conversation about "networking" (hooking up) on Whiteblaze, and how it relates to a "successful AT thru hike". I was thinking about starting a thread on this subject but this seems like an appropriate place for me to bleed my thoughts.

Jack mentioned the "spontaneous" stuff... If you have any kind of personality at all you will be hiking with new friends. Especially early in the hike, you will likely be happy making pace with your friends (having fun) rather than sticking to any pre-made schedule. Soon enough you will find yourself in slimmer company as good friends have gone home, so enjoy the company while it lasts. Hiking with friends can actually help you make miles. Some days you will not feel like hiking 20 miles but sticking with your friends gets you going, and it works both ways. Go with the flow, enjoy the "spontaneous" fun, and keep aware of the big picture. At some point you may decide to break away from the group if they insist on being on the tail end of the pack. This is where you may elect to "network" with other hikers going your pace. I broke away from a big loose knit group in VA to finish on Katahdin in ice and ankle deep snow. The group I broke away from finished two weeks later in knee and waist deep snow.

If you are not wealthy then networking is extremley important in my view because thru hiking costs. Networking is at least neccessary to raise you comfort level on the trail, splitting hotel room expenses for instance. I am going for the "jugular" here, FOOD! You are unlikely to have a cookout (ETC.) if you are hiking solo, but get together / keep pace / (network) with other hikers and suddenly purchasing everything you need for a festivity is easy. I could go on for pages regarding the benefits of networking and especially how it relates to eating well "for le$$" on the trail.

Addressing zero days: I found that "we" tended to take zero days around mother natures plans where possible. Everyone in the group was very agreeable on taking zero's, it is easy to be agreeable when you are in town and it is raining heavily.

HYOH of course and if a solo adventure is what you have in mind, then by all means. But don't overlook the importance of networking.

All right! I am all bled out here for the moment. I would like to see some of the other 2000-milers comment on networking. I just feel that the subject is not focused on enough... I am especially amazed when hikers talk about group hiking as if it were a liability, for instance "I don't want to have to hike someone elses pace" " I want to take my zero days when I want". Be a little flexible, it will help you get to Katahdin "with friends" and in style.

BTW hiking with friends does not mean hiking (heel to toe). I often was "gone at dawn" solo, especially in the summer and I hooked up with friends later in the day.

Drum Stick

MOWGLI
03-20-2005, 09:52
Jack mentioned the "spontaneous" stuff... If you have any kind of personality at all you will be hiking with new friends. Especially early in the hike, you will likely be happy making pace with your friends (having fun) rather than sticking to any pre-made schedule.

I'll give a little different take on this. I agree with EVERYTHING Jack said about schedules. Drum Stick brings up a point about hiking with new friends.

Some hikers end up doing just about ANYTHING to stick with a certain group of people. For me, the longest period of time I spent with any group was a shade over two weeks. For me, after that period of time, I start feeling constrained by routine, and I find myself altering my schedule to match other peoples wants & schedules. Plus, after about two weeks of close proximity to just about ANYBODY, I start to get a little prickly.

My point? The folks behind or ahead of you on the trail are almost always as nice as the folks you find yourself hiking with at the current moment. So... don't find yourself doing 30 mile days (or taking multiple zero days) to catch up with so & so. Let it flow. You'll meet all kinds of new & interesting folks that way.

Peaks
03-20-2005, 10:04
Roger all that-what i have always wondered is this-why does anyone want
to sleep on wooden floors with mice and strangers snoring all night when they already have a tent or tarp in their pack?
Oldfivetango:-?

For me, it's very simple. First, it's easier to pack up and go in the morning if I don't need to take down and pack my tent. Second, there is more room to spread out a little in a shelter. Plus, I can usually stand up, or at least sit up.

Finally, on a rainy day, nothing beats a dry shelter.

Peaks
03-20-2005, 10:13
I'm an advocate of making a base line schedule. For one thing, it lets family and friends know when you expect to be where. Again, part of it is for emergency purposes. If someone needs to find you on the trail, it would be helpful to know which section you are currently on.

Second, for planning resupply. Where is the next resupply point, and how many days to get there?

But, let's not make this a rigid schedule. There are lots of things to discover out on the trail. Sometimes you will hike further than planned and other times, linger at certain places.

Did I make a schedule? sure did. Did I plan to follow it rigidly while on the trail? Certainly not. Did I consult it while on the trail? Sure did. Did I do the trail differently than as planned? definately.

smokymtnsteve
03-20-2005, 10:17
This might be a wild concept, but how about forgetting the miles and the time and the minisota money. Why do you and almost everyone, absolutely have to stress and obsess about some abstract concept every day. Try this, get up when you want each day, walk as far as you feel like, stop when you feel like, as often during the day as you feel like and when you find a good place to sleep, do so. Don't spend a lot of time in towns and you'll make it to Maine when you get there. If you want to be slave to miles, money or time, keep working.

but worse of all my friend they have "industrial disease" :bse

DMA, 2000
03-20-2005, 23:15
I think that basing your day on hours rather than miles is pretty sensible. Sort of like buying $X of a stock every paycheck rather than trying to time the lows...in the end you do at least as well. Some days will have great weather, flat trails, late sunset, happy feet, and not many good views. Others will be exactly the opposite.

One thing I loved about my hike was basing my day on the rhythms of nature. I got up, and retired, with the sun. So, if you have 12 hours of light, plan to hike 10 hours (or whatever). That'll mean more hiking time in June than in September. Though I carried no watch, the most satisfying periods of hiking were when I was moving for a certain amount of hours...up early and hike until dinner.

A few things to consider:
Where will you be in the evening? Most people tend to stop early or late due to the presence of a shelter. You'll make more efficient use of your time if you use two more hours of daylight pressing on. On the other hand, you may find yourself in a place without good camping, or a water source for dinner. Maybe you'll miss the company that a shelter affords (even though eventually most people camp outside them and just use them as an area for camping, congregating, and cooking).

And like everyone else says, don't do it too rigidly. When I suggest "hiking" for 10 out of the 12 hours of daylight, that includes time taking in a view, enjoying lunch, swimming, chatting with dayhikers, etc. All perfectly fine ways to spend your time.

Robusto
03-29-2005, 13:21
This is how my friend Doc Gnarley did the trail last year.

He called it "Hiker Diem" (Hike the day) and he said that it really took pressure off trying to push big miles over tough terrain.

Robusto

minnesotasmith
03-29-2005, 15:29
Don't hike by miles, and don't hike by hours (other than daylight and the dictates of sleep, perhaps). Don't hike by plan, and don't hike by shelter locations, either.

Instead, hike by effort. That is, hike according to what your body can give you that day, modified by conditions such as the terrain, weather, etc. It should work out in the end; you won't have to make a bunch of calculations (that you'll feel bad about if you underperform according to them). I bet you'll still make good miles on average, too.

Slimer
03-29-2005, 16:54
Hey Robusto, Is there a way to get in touch with Doc? My brother(Gather)and I walked quite a bit with him and he was just a blast to be around. I think the last time I saw him was in New Hampshire, and since then, I've wondered about how he's doing.