PDA

View Full Version : Hanging food

rjjones
02-10-2012, 19:10
I know,but this is different.For those who believe you should hang food,do you need to hang freeze dried food.I dont think there is any odor to them and if there isnt then you could hang your other food,and if taken by an animal you would still have food to eat.Am i over thinking this??

Hooch
02-10-2012, 19:17
Am i over thinking this??Yes, you are. If you're going to hang some of your food, you may as well hang the rest of it as well.

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2012, 19:22
I know,but this is different.For those who believe you should hang food,do you need to hang freeze dried food.I dont think there is any odor to them and if there isnt then you could hang your other food,and if taken by an animal you would still have food to eat.Am i over thinking this??Two Disclaimers: 1. I don't hang my food, it's in my tent with me. 2. I don't carry freezedried foods.

However, I got to question them not having a smell. Maybe you can't smell them, but that doesn't mean they don't have a smell. I'm thinking of a test that can be carried out with a dog...

Rasty
02-10-2012, 20:31
A bear can smell canned sauerkraut and will pick the other cans. It probably is smelling residue on the outside of a can that was cleaned with high pressure boiling water during the canning process. I think they can smell through a vacuum pack. I saw a story somewhere about a bear raiding a cabin and pushing cans of kraut out of the way to get to more appetizing cans.

sheepdog
02-10-2012, 21:27
bears don't like saur kraut???

inconceivable

Rasty
02-10-2012, 21:35
Only German and Chinese bears like kraut!:)

bears don't like saur kraut???

inconceivable

TOMP
02-10-2012, 22:16
What is so hard about hanging food? Do you want rodents eating through your pack? Do you want the off chance of bears being attracted? Get a waterproof bag, add all your food and buy spray, lotions, makeup or anything that has an odor and hang it. It takes about 5 minutes total, you can even practice at home (or near home if your a city person).

There is only one place I had trouble doing this and that was because there were no branches low enough to reach. So I tied a larger rock and spun the rope in my hand couple times and then released and I got 2 times the distance, now that is the only way I hang my rope. 2 times the distance half the effort. Does take some getting used to.

In the end I think rats have a better chance of getting your food it its not hung. I would never worry about other animals getting the food if you hang it properly, i.e. cant be reached by a bear.

rjjones
02-11-2012, 08:10
Actualy i do hang my food.When i was young i didnt but now i just dont want to take any chance of having an issue.But ive herd some say the only food bear get is food thats hung.If you hang all your food and a bear gets it,he gets all your food.My thinking was if they couldnt smell the freeze dried food i could hang the rest and have all my bases covered.I would love to know how Johns test with his dog turns out.

veteran
02-11-2012, 09:20
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-08-18-beer-bear_x.htm

rjjones
02-11-2012, 11:32
Thank god i'm a "Bush" man!

Deadeye
02-11-2012, 11:41
Freeze dried food does indeed smell, just try leaving some on the floor and watch the dog gobble it up. Treat it the way you treat any other food - if you hang it, hang it; if you sleep with it, sleep with it, whatever floats your boat.

It's easy to identify bear poop - it's full of wrappers and other food packaging.