PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea?

ncmtns
02-10-2012, 21:33
Im thinking of starting at Harpers Ferry and go north to Katahdin starting the middle of April. And then bus back to HF and head south to Georgia. Any thoughts on that? thanx

Lone Wolf
02-10-2012, 21:36
it's a fine idea. will be buggy up north but not biggie. go for it.

Not Sunshine
02-10-2012, 21:40
I think it's brilliant! I hiked [for the day] with Weenail, in the Grayson Highlands in 2010 who did the same. He started out NOBO in GA. By the time he got to Damascus, he was tired of fighting for space in shelters and all the crowds, and wanted some quiet, so jumped ahead to Harpers Ferry - finished the NOBO section, took a few weeks off, and then went back to Damascus, to finish his NOBO hike. Genius!

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2012, 23:18
Just don't hike too fast. You really don't want to hit VT until June 1 or later (mud, bugs, etc).

Slo-go'en
02-10-2012, 23:29
I don't know about that. There's a good chance it will be cold and wet a lot of the time all the way through to Katahdin, along with hitting the peak of the black fly season. Then you'd jump into the fire by going back to H.F. and doing the south during the hottest and most humid part of the summer. But then it could be just peachy. No way to know until it happens...

Blissful
02-10-2012, 23:39
I ran into flipfloppers out of HF starting in late April last year. Good time to do it