PDA

View Full Version : river to river trail

neo
03-19-2005, 10:40
has any body here at white blazed hiked the river to river trail.it is located in the shawnee national forest in southern illinios,a trail that goes from the mississpi river to the ohio river,its 160 miles long,only about 6 to 8 people thru hike this trail a year.i bought the guide book on it from the river to river trail society.
:cool: neo

bogey
03-19-2005, 13:53
neo, I was supposed to, or rather, I was invited to hike it this spring break with a friend who actually gets spring breaks, (he's a teacher). Surgery intervened. I've been in the area, and part of it's scenic beauty is that it's a part of the state just south of where the glaciers stopped. so the rock in the area (Garden of the Gods for example) are very much older than other Illinois landscape.

The Solemates
03-21-2005, 10:25
I havent hiked it, but have thought about hiking it a few times. This past trip we went to Land Between the Lakes instead (www.lbl.org and http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7256). If you hike it, post a review here, as we'd like to hear about it.

neo
03-22-2005, 00:08
I havent hiked it, but have thought about hiking it a few times. This past trip we went to Land Between the Lakes instead (www.lbl.org (http://www.lbl.org/) and http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7256). If you hike it, post a review here, as we'd like to hear about it.
i hiked the 60 mile north/south trail in march 2001 with 3 other guys from tenn.trails.assoc.nashville chapter.i like the secound half of the trail better from golden pond visitors center to north visitors center,i posted a few snow scene pics in my gallery,i want to do the north/trail at lbl again:cool: neo

Saluki Dave
03-22-2005, 13:44
Neo,

I grew up very near the RTR but haven't hiked it. I happen to have (somewhere) the trail guide. If you have questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them, or refer you to someone who might be abke to.

The Solemates
03-22-2005, 17:11
i hiked the 60 mile north/south trail in march 2001 with 3 other guys from tenn.trails.assoc.nashville chapter.i like the secound half of the trail better from golden pond visitors center to north visitors center,i posted a few snow scene pics in my gallery,i want to do the north/trail at lbl again:cool: neo

i wouldnt do the trail again. much better ones out there. we had fun, but it wasnt all that great. see my review at the link i posted earlier. i would agree though that the northern section is better.

Jeremy
03-22-2005, 22:31
I have hiked a small section of the river to river trail. I was in the Garden of the Gods recreation area, and I did about ten miles of it. It was quite nice. The Garden of the Gods itself is spectacular. The rock has swirls of iron ore deposits that oxidize and rust, creating red swirls in the bluffs. The RTRT went along some steep, nice bluffs and had some sweet views. The terrain was also very interesting, very rocky, but they were large and flat, not small and sharp, so it was nice on the feet. I would like to thru hike it someday, it would be nice and quiet if you did it in the colder season.
:D