PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts about the TarpTent Notch

jjimen16
02-11-2012, 01:06
Hey guys, I just received my tent from Henry Shires, and Im really liking it.

I set it up for the first time and it was VERY easy with no hassle. I also like how the inner net is designed to clip (and stay clipped) to the rainfly (double wall) from the inside. This is really nice because when you are setting it up in the rain, the inside of the tent barely gets wet at all. You can also set it up with either the mesh inner, or outer. (really nice for clear nights).

The two doors are awesome with the two vestibules. I will be using one side to keep my gear, and the other for entry/exit. This is alot better than the front entry style tents cuz your stuff doesn't get in your way when exit.

The guylines are easily adjustable with light pulls, and they are very reflective.

It is nice that the tent, while only needing 4 stakes, is very sturdy. (bonus: stakes are included with package and total weight of the tent)

Tent peak height is also plenty (Im only 5'10"!)

If you are thinking about buying this tent but arent sure, I'd say its a great buy.

Ronnwell
03-29-2012, 11:28
Thanks for your thoughts on this shelter. I've been eyeing it because of the weight, ease of set-up, dual-entry doors, and height. Will need to investigate a bit further, but it looks really good.

moof53
03-29-2012, 15:09
Just wondering. Did you seam seal the tent or have it done at the factory.

Thanks.

stranger
03-29-2012, 20:44
I think it's the best design TT has going

I've had two TT in the past and got rid of them but a Notch is probably in my future.

Big Dawg
03-29-2012, 23:24
I think it's the best design TT has going

Agree. I love mine!!

stranger
05-11-2012, 06:24
Hey I've come to learn the storm flap over the zippers does not cover the zipper adequately...I would be keen to hear if anyone has experienced dripping from the zipper? I love the tent but have concerns over this, anyone have it out in strong rain?

Tipi Walter
05-11-2012, 08:45
I'm always wary of a tent review which has nothing negative to say since no tent is perfect and if used long enough reasonable criticisms can be made. Get back to us in two years after 400 nights in all weather and then we'll talk.

ScottC
05-11-2012, 23:19
I recently spent a night in the Notch in steady and sometimes heavy rain without any problems. I seam sealed the tent myself, including the zipper seams.

stranger
05-11-2012, 23:37
Yeah I'm more concerned with water coming through the actual zipper not the seams along the zipper...it will probably just run down the zipper and drip towards the bottom but wanted to ask those with some experience as I don't have any.

ScottC...Did you notice any water coming in through the zipper?

Big Dawg
05-11-2012, 23:44
I'm always wary of a tent review which has nothing negative to say since no tent is perfect and if used long enough reasonable criticisms can be made. Get back to us in two years after 400 nights in all weather and then we'll talk.

The tent is new, and initial reviews from most are extremely positive. But I'm sure once 400 nights are logged, some small issues may arise, but I doubt they'd be worth worrying about based on past TT performance. I doubt TT would ever be a choice of yours b/c you prefer the heavy bombproof style. Gotta have something BIG to fill up that MONSTROUS pack of yours. :D

Big Dawg
05-11-2012, 23:49
Yeah I'm more concerned with water coming through the actual zipper not the seams along the zipper...it will probably just run down the zipper and drip towards the bottom but wanted to ask those with some experience as I don't have any.

ScottC...Did you notice any water coming in through the zipper?

My Notch has seen moderate rain, and no dripping through the zipper. The other TT's I own (DR & Moment) are the same way, as far as flap over the zipper not snug, and have never seen leaks. I read many TT reviews over the years and never heard of that being an issue.

ChinMusic
05-11-2012, 23:53
Looks like TarpTent had a bit of LightHeart envy.....

Big Dawg
05-12-2012, 00:26

don't follow ya,,, do explain.

FamilyGuy
05-12-2012, 01:10

They aren't close in design. Look again.

Tipi Walter
05-12-2012, 07:05
The tent is new, and initial reviews from most are extremely positive. But I'm sure once 400 nights are logged, some small issues may arise, but I doubt they'd be worth worrying about based on past TT performance. I doubt TT would ever be a choice of yours b/c you prefer the heavy bombproof style. Gotta have something BIG to fill up that MONSTROUS pack of yours. :D

I'm most concerned with long term use in rainstorms with ground sheeting and lake effect in regards to the Notch's low denier floor and hydrostatic pressure. What is the floor denier number on the Notch?

ChinMusic
05-12-2012, 08:21
don't follow ya,,, do explain.
With the attached double wall, add the PVC and you pretty much have the LightHeart Solo. 6 Moon copied it too. It's a good design.

FamilyGuy
05-12-2012, 11:01
With the attached double wall, add the PVC and you pretty much have the LightHeart Solo. 6 Moon copied it too. It's a good design.

There are distinct differences between all three designs. Look again.

It's like saying I added laces to my ski boots and they are pretty much the same as my loafers.

stranger
05-12-2012, 21:59

Gotta disagree as well...the Lightheart is a single piece that must be set up together, has a diamond floor pattern and does not have a drip free entry, nor does it use struts

The Notch is modular, the net tent is removable, the tarp can be used alone, it has a much more rectangular floor pattern and has a drip free entry with vertical poles, finally it uses struts

They are completely different in my view but both good designs. If you think the Lightheart is a great and original design you might want to thank Kurt Russell from Wanderlust Gear and google the 'Nomad'

Franco
05-13-2012, 18:26
When Henry sent me the first few sketches of the Moment one of my first comments was something like this :
why not adapt that to a trekking pole supported shelter ?
(the original floor plan of the Moment had two vestibules...)
So it has nothing to do with any other tent, it just borrows all sorts of elements from previous TT shelters.
Franco

hikerinnc
05-20-2012, 22:24
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/webkit-fake-url://89ADF5D8-21B6-42BC-9F72-940EA3DEB208/imagejpeg

hikerinnc
06-14-2012, 06:28
My Notch has done fine in heavy rain/lite hail. Even with some puddling around the tent, I stayed dry. Hail has splashed in the puddles and a couple of drops splashed up under the rain fly and through the netting. But no big deal and how often do you even see hail backpacking anyway? Regular and heavy rain, bone dry. Love this tent!! Was considering tarp/bug bevy combo but why when this tent only weighs 26 oz.

Big Dawg
06-15-2012, 02:47
It's quite remarkable!!!

Franco
06-15-2012, 20:58
A couple of suggestions if you ever get a really windy night.
First attach a guyline to the pole tip and out via the vent.
This will increase lateral resistance and give you another 2 stakes to hold up the shelter.
In emergency and even stronger widnds, you can also do this :
The apex of the Pitch Lock triangle is pegged down to the ground , the poles are at 36" (90cm) so the door panels are also pegged down to the ground.
This will rob you of usable length and some headroom but I had a 6'1" guy in yesterday (he was collecting his Notch from me...) and it was OK for him too.
On a calm night you will collect a lot of condensation so something you only do in emergency only but maybe worth keeping in mind.
Franco
(I look after TT in Australia)

foreversuperawesome
02-03-2013, 21:24
How much room do you have around you? I mean, when you have a sleeping pad in the bath tub floor, do you have any room on each side. I move enough while sleeping and I'd like to make sure that I can sit, lay around without my stuff hanging over the tub. The moment seems to have a bit more room on the side when the pad is in place. What are you thoughts about that?!

Franco
02-03-2013, 21:50
The product page at tarptent.com has several photos of each shelter and a diagram showing you the exact size of each.The mat you see in the photo is a standard 20x70 mat .
Same for the white shape in the drawings.(under "show dimensions")
So the Moment does have more free space inside the floor, but the width of the fly is the same.

topshelf
02-03-2013, 22:24
woo, mine should be in this week! I'll give an initial review and one after puttin it through its paces, if I still remember to at the end of the summer