PDA

View Full Version : 64 y.o. looking for someone to start the trail with (from Springer Mt.)

goldfinger
02-11-2012, 06:01
Hi all,

I'm 64 y/o, early retired from Israel. I'd like to start the trail from Springer Mt. around end of April / early May and looking for a partner for at least the first week (would be happy for more...) Been trekking in Israel, Nepal, Albania & Norway recently, and the Appalachian trail is the next big thing. Please contact me if that sounds suitable...

Thanks,
Itzhak

BobbyNoel
02-16-2012, 13:38
I did my first section at 65, now 70 and returning for my next 100 miles. Don't worry about a companion you'll soon become part of a hiking family as you move out from Springer; during the summer the AT's like a highway in the woods. Enjoy, it sounds like you have all the experience you need to get going.

goldfinger
02-22-2012, 06:59
Thanks, experience I have. Have a good time in the next 100 miles.

Razor
02-22-2012, 10:20
Please note that you are leaving at a late date . It can be done and you might need to consider a flip-flop. There will be a lot fewer thru hikers then but you will have the advantage of much better weather.

handlebar
02-22-2012, 20:53
Starting late April/May might result in finding fewer potential hiking partners on the trail. Typically, the trail takes 6 full months and Katahdin closes on Oct 15. Strongly recommend start date no later than mid April.

Skid.
02-23-2012, 19:57
I'm looking to do the Springer to Smokies section in May, PM me or keep in touch as it gets closer. I'm 62, and have been averaging about 15-17 miles per day on AT sections I have done so far.

goldfinger
04-21-2012, 10:16
Hey all,

Thanks for your tips and contacts. There has been a change of plans and I'm going to be trekking in Spain this year instead of the Appalachian.

Hope to see you next year :)
Itzhak