PDA

View Full Version : minnesota smith

ekeverette
02-11-2012, 09:02
i'm reading this book, called just passing thru about folks at neels gap..... and ithas a few pages about this colorful fellow. i really think it's about our own matthewski. there's a quote in the book from white.blaze, in the book, where someone says: the funny thing is that MS's best thread is when he was off the computer.... is this our guy? aka minnesota smith

ekeverette
02-11-2012, 09:13
wrote to quick.... it was not matthewski... but this was one strange dude!

Ox97GaMe
02-11-2012, 09:36
It takes all kinds to make the trail what it is. Minnesota Smith, Baltimore Jack, Ward Lenard, Pirate, Lone Wolf. These are all unique characters that stories are written about. Some have even said that I am a 'strange' character out on the trails. I guess you just have to overlook a mountain man toting a chainsaw up the side of the thill. I can see where folks think Im straight from 'Deliverance'. <lol>

takethisbread
02-11-2012, 09:37
From all accounts Minnesota Smith is kind of a jerk. Matthewski is a real great guy. Minnesota saw other Hikers as pests, from most accounts. Matthewski loves all people. He is very helpful to everyone from what I can tell.

Bearpaw
02-11-2012, 10:25
Minnie Smith and Matty are buddies, and they hiked together during parts of MS's '06 hike. Matty is a bit strange but definitely a lovable guy. Smitty burned a lot of bridges with some of his posts and threads here and elsewhere, and some of his behavior on the trail. That's as much as I'll say.

Oh, and I predict this thread won't last long here because of the heat it may produce from those who remember "the thread".

Dances with Mice
02-11-2012, 10:27
The Thread starts here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?13082-MinnesotaSmith-Update&p=173995&viewfull=1#post173995

Continue at your own risk.

WingedMonkey
02-11-2012, 11:50
It takes all kinds to make the trail what it is. Minnesota Smith, Baltimore Jack, Ward Lenard, Pirate, Lone Wolf. These are all unique characters that stories are written about. Some have even said that I am a 'strange' character out on the trails. I guess you just have to overlook a mountain man toting a chainsaw up the side of the thill. I can see where folks think Im straight from 'Deliverance'. <lol>

You just listed the nominees for the AT Museum's Hall of Fame last year. Can't wait to see this years nominations.
</lol>:p<lol>

</lol>

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2012, 12:38
ouch......

Sly
02-11-2012, 12:50
You just listed the nominees for the AT Museum's Hall of Fame last year. Can't wait to see this years nominations.
:p<lol>

</lol>

Yeah, how many on that list got in? Neither are they likely to get in this year.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2012, 13:01
Yeah, how many on that list got in? Neither are they likely to get in this year.
or any year. one has to be with the "in" crowd. an AT hall of fame is foolish. my opinion

i like MS by the way

Sly
02-11-2012, 13:32
or any year. one has to be with the "in" crowd. an AT hall of fame is foolish. my opinion

i like MS by the way

<big> I see, Myron Avery, Gene Espy, Ed Garvey, Benton MacKaye, Arthur Perkins & Earl Shaffer were in the "in" crowd. In with whom, since those that voted probably only knew 1 or two of them.

</big><big>
</big><big></big>

Pedaling Fool
02-11-2012, 19:20
From all accounts Minnesota Smith is kind of a jerk. Matthewski is a real great guy. Minnesota saw other Hikers as pests, from most accounts. Matthewski loves all people. He is very helpful to everyone from what I can tell.I've met MS a few times and I've met a lot of jerks, but MS is different some how; I haven't been around him long enough to elaborate, but something sets him apart from being simply a jerk. And yes, I know the stories on his latest ordeal.

I really think there may be a clinical name that will explain most of his actions, and I don't mean to belittle him in the least, actually he's a really smart guy. I'm just saying I believe the word jerk is inadequate (I've met a few jerks) in explaining some of the abnormal/unusual MS ticks. You definitely can't engage him in conversation like most people, he does seem aloof, at times, but luckily that kind of attitude doesn't really bother me, but other times I found him very friendly, but like I said I haven't spent enough time with him to know any more than that.

Just a Hiker
02-11-2012, 19:41
I passed MS on the trail in '06 in New York....it was 95 degrees and he was dressed head to toe in rain gear, gloves and a headnet, which I thought was odd given the heat; however, I camped with him one night a few years later in Georgia, and I found him to be entertaining and a good conversationalist.