PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for the White Mountains in July/August?

2tall
02-11-2012, 13:04
Hi everybody,
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. Be nice with me because I'm not a native speaker ;-)
My wife and I are going to go on a section hike on the the AT northbound from Rutland, VT starting in the middle of July, ending wherever we'll get until middle of August. So we'll be in the Whites at the end of July.
We plan to use our tarptent and stay in shelters where possible.
Do you think our sleeping gear is warm enough?
We both have a Mountain Equipment Helium 400, which is rated 39/34/3 °F (comfort/limit/extreme, these are European Standard ratings, I guess you would say it's a 34 rated bag).
We'll use a liner inside the bag and put on fleece jackets and long johns for the night if it's cold. We also have good Exped Synmat sleeping pads.
Please let us know what you think, is this enough for the Whites? I don't like the idea of buying a new sleeping bag you know...
Just FYI, this is our second section of the AT, last year we went from New York to Rutland, VT (also in July/August).
Thanks and greetings from Germany,
2tall

hikerboy57
02-11-2012, 14:15
i use a 40 deg bag in the summer in the whites. bring a hat, and the usual layering options for hiking the whites in summer.you should be fine.