PDA

View Full Version : Starting To collect Gear and Looking for Comments

Phsskipper
03-19-2005, 17:59
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and am planning a return to backpacking after about a 20 year break. I can not wait. Much gear from the past is now gone and I am beginning to build up again. I will begin section hiking the AT SOBO from some place in New Hampshire perhaps down as far as Conn. somewhere. Trips will be from 5-14 days (Shorter ones will be with one of my three daughters) I am looking for comments on the gear that I have and have begun to collect for myself as the girls will basically be dayhiking with me.

Here Goes:

Jansport Yosemite External Frame Pack (An oldie but goodie?) (5 lbs 4 oz)

North Face Trinity 3 season 20 degree mummy (3 lbs 7 oz)

Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner (4.5 oz)

Small Thermarest Expedition and stuff sack (1 lb 10 oz)
Eureka! Solitaire Tent (1 lb 15 oz)

Platypus Big Zip 3 - 3 liter water bag (4.5 oz)

Will use pepsi bottles for water bottles on trail

Katadyn Hiker Water purification system. (11 oz)

AMC Trail books and Maps

That is it so far.

Total weight to date 17 lbs 9 oz (26 lbs 7 oz with planned water)

The big 4 (pack, tent, sleeping Bag and Pad = 12 lb 8 oz)

Wow, I forgot how fast the weight seems to grow!

What do you think so far?

Thanks for any feedback.

Oh yea! I will be wearing mid-weight Limmer Boots as I am a big guy and want the support. I also like the idea that they can be easily and well resoled.

Jack Tarlin
03-19-2005, 18:38
Skipper:

Welcome to the site!

Be prepared to get a ton of comments about how your gear is old, out-dated, and too heavy (especially your pack).

Take these comments with a large grain of salt.

Carry what you want, and don't worry over-much about the few extra pounds. You're doing section hikes, so you can afford to carry a bit extra if you want, it won't do you any harm.

One idea, based on your preliminary list: If your hikes are going to be SOBO, you'll probably be able to do many of them with a lighter-weight summer sleeping bag, many of which are inexpensive and weigh a pound or less, so sooner or later, you might want to buy a second bag.

Otherwise, I think you're off to a fine start, hope to see you here on Whiteblaze often.

Kerosene
03-19-2005, 18:40
Yes, you can certainly hike with the gear you've got, but here are some other options that you might want to consider once you're confident that you want to get out there multiple times...

Jansport Yosemite External Frame Pack (An oldie but goodie?) (5 lbs 4 oz)May be good, but it's 2-3 pounds too heavy and probably doesn't ride as well as today's packs. There are a lot of choices out there, but I think that the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbus_ozone/index.html) (my review here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3235)) is a great pack as you try to shave weight.

North Face Trinity 3 season 20 degree mummy (3 lbs 7 oz)Again, at least a pound heavier than you need, but it does get expensive to replace these big items. Check out the Western Mountaineering (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags) and Feathered Friends (http://www.featheredfriends.com/productoverview.aspx?CatId=1&selection=0) product lines, and get one with a DWR (durable water repellent) coating.

Small Thermarest Expedition and stuff sack (1 lb 10 oz)To save weight, I'd go with a 3/4 length. The Bozeman Mountain Works Torsolite (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html?id=PjStbmEz :68.40.36.111) 3/4 inflatable only weighs 10 ounces.

Eureka! Solitaire Tent (1 lb 15 oz)Not bad for a one-person tent, but what will you do when you hike with your daughters? Here are options from Henry Shires (http://www.tarptent.com/ttcloudburtspecs.html) and Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=40).

Katadyn Hiker Water purification system. (11 oz)Consider the Aqua Mira (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=MCN1001) chemical treatment (4 oz). Since you're section hiking, you can repackage in smaller bottles (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/dropper_bottle_assorted.html) to save a few more ounces.

So, you could save another 5 pounds by replacing your heavier (and now outdated) items, but it the options I've given you would run you about $700. Of course, there are a lot of lower-priced alternatives out there, and you can certainly go lighter. Being 20 years older, you'll notice a big difference by dropping your base weight 25-30%.

Doctari
03-19-2005, 19:47
And as you have no doubt found, check out the forums, especially: General Gear talk, Gear reviews, Ultra-light, And; the homemade gear forum. Oh! And check out the hammock forum.
Lots to read, much of it seems contradictory, but worth the effort. As Jack says, "take the advice with a grain of salt" :) but much is from years of experience, and (sometimes painful) trial & error.

BTW:
I didn't see a stove or cook set or anything to eat with.
Rain gear?

Hint's:
Test all gear BEFORE you hit the trail.
Test (practice with) your stove MANY TIMES before you hit the trail.
Part of the testing includes, not limited to: Set the tent up, get inside, have someone hose the tent down HARD, to check for leaks. Actually cook a few dinners with your stove. Take a overnighter with all your gear. And, after any changes you make, test/practice all over again.

Have fun! :dance

Phsskipper
03-19-2005, 19:58
Doctari,

Stove and cooking utensils are on the list to be purchased. I used to backpack pretty exclusively with Sterno and a single ring stove. I will get a pack stove as my next purchase.

Any suggestions?

Kerosene
03-20-2005, 01:42
I used to backpack pretty exclusively with Sterno and a single ring stove. I will get a pack stove as my next purchase. Any suggestions?Sounds like you're looking to boil water for most meals and can live with a minimalist approach. For your solo hikes, you'd probably do great with a good homemade alcohol stove (there are several WhiteBlaze members who could make them for you). When you're out with one of your daughters, then you might want to consider a canister stove. Backpackinglight.com suggested the Coleman Outlander F1 Ultralight as a good all around value at $40.

Phsskipper
03-20-2005, 14:30
Thanks for the suggestion on a stove. I had acutally looked at that one and will look again. Boiling water for noodles/rice ect. and dry food was usually my method. I never have been one to buy prepared dehydrated foods. I may try some on some of my longer runs. Now with the foil packaged tuna and chicken I may even take a little meat with me.

Thanks again.

Forrest

hikerjohnd
03-20-2005, 14:56
Don't let these folks scare you away from your pack! I have a JanSport Nepali and love it! I just switched to a Nimbus Ozone pack, but it is just a bit too small for winter hiking. When I get back on the trail (April 15th!!!!) I'll be starting with my Nepali. I plan to use the Ozone for summer - without the fleece and heavy sleeping bag it will be perfect, but my JanSport will always have a place on my equipment list! :sun

Phsskipper
03-20-2005, 15:41
I actually have now looked at packs. I had to decide on weight vs. the ability to organize. I am a organization freek and it is nice to have the pockets and pouches. Also as I looked at internal frames, to get anything in the same cubic inch range the Lowes line weighed as much or more than my Yosemite.

I think that I will be keeping the Yosemite for now. This will be my first runs using backpacking stuff as opposed to carrying camping stuff. I am already down 6 lbs over the tent and bag that I used to carry.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Forrest

minnesotasmith
03-20-2005, 15:59
I would really rather get a synthetic bag over a down one, given the following:

1) I don't care for feather quills poking me, as an expensive down jacket I used in Minnesota used to do to me.

2) I don't like the idea that every time I tightly roll up a down bag, it permanently loses part of its insulating ability.

3) A down bag takes longer to dry than a synthetic one, by all accounts, and the AT is KNOWN for lots of rain.

4) Money is not a major issue for me in selecting gear, so I don't much care if a down bag is cheaper, if a high-end synthetic bag works better for me, that's my choice.

5) Jardine, with all his faults, found synthetic bags preferable, and the man is a Triple Crown hiker. I find his arguments persuasive.

Given all that, would you please suggest some high-quality synthetic bags here (and please be specific, not just saying "North Face" and leaving it at that).

hikerjohnd
03-20-2005, 16:41
Given all that, would you please suggest some high-quality synthetic bags here (and please be specific, not just saying "North Face" and leaving it at that).
Several factors to take into consideration - sleeping pad preference, temp rating, tummy sleeper, etc. But taking your request as one looking for a single bag to go the distance - I would look into Slumberjack products. A friend just got the Glacier 20 deg (http://www.slumberjack.com/product.asp?product_id=CQGCJQ6SQBH8MKM7AUBINRD6KE&category_id=5XZ43MTVB7F5XKG7S6RS2NN4XA)and likes it. He too does not like down for the same reason - his jacket looked like it was moulting the last time I saw it... A 20 deg bag may be a bit warm in the summer months, but the weight is pretty good for a synthetic - and Slumberjack has pretty good quality bags - my first sleeping bag was a Slumberjack and I just donated it to a group in TN for a HS backapcking club - It is at least 10 years old but I'm sure it will make many more trips!

minnesotasmith
03-20-2005, 17:29
"Are you willing to sleep in a wet sleeping bag. Any wet sleeping bag is pretty miserable, down or synthetic. Would your really want to sleep in a sopping wet bag?"

Not if I can help it. Since synthetic dries more quickly, that is less likely to be my situation with a synthetic bag, since I can get the sucker dry easier.

Phsskipper
03-20-2005, 18:50
After posting above as I started planning, I have continued to fill out my equipment list today. After looking at many posts and sites I have come up with the following. I would appreciate knowing if I have forgotten anything.

Here it is as of today.

Equipment List

Pack/Sleeping/Shelter Gear

JanSport Yosemite 84 oz
Pack Cover (Kitchen Trash bag 3 carried total) 1 oz
NF Mammoth Sleeping 51 oz

Cocoon Silk Liner 5 oz
Tyvek Ground Cloth 4 oz
Thermarest 48 inch self inflating pad and stuff sack 22 oz Eureka Solitaire Tent 31 oz

Treking poles ???

Cook Gear
Coleman Exponent™ Multi Fuel Stove 22 oz

Apex Fuel Bottle 5 oz

Walmart Grease Pot 4 oz

Insulated Cup 3 oz
platypus w/ hose 2 oz
lexan spoon; cozy; zip locks 3 oz
Katahdin Hiker Pro (Water Purification system) 11 oz

2 water bottles (Gatorade Bottles) 4 oz

Measuring Cup 2 oz

Camp Soap 2 oz

Bic Lighter 1 oz
Silnylon Food Bag 1 oz

Foot Gear

Limmer Midweight Boots 57 oz*
2 pairs Smartwool socks 5 oz,*
2 pairs sock liners 2 oz *

First Aid/ Repair Kit 11 oz

- 1 Piece 2nd Skin
- 2 Pieces MoleSkin
- 1/2 width Roll of Duct Tape (6ft)
- 1 Box Water/Wind Proof Matches
- 3 FireStarters
- 1 Needle
- 1 Spool of Thread
- 10 Aleve Tablets
- 2 decongestant tabs
- 1 Sterile Gauze Bandage Roll
- 10 Bandaids
- 1 tube of NeoSporin
- 1 Tube Anbesol
- 1 Tube Superglue
- 1 Safety Pin
- 1 Mini-Can of Carmex Lip Balm
- 1 Thermometer

- 1 ace bandage

- gold bond powder

- 1 Sanitary Pad

- Sunscreen

- Bic Mini Lighter

Trail Clothes
Cabela’s – Rain/Wind Pants 8 oz

Cabela’s Rain Jacket 10 oz

Campmor Trekmor Travel Shirt 9 oz

Campmor Trekmor 2/1 Convertible Pants 11 oz

Starter sleeveless t shirt 2 oz
Outdoor Research Element Bucket (Hat) 3 oz
Manzella® Polartec® Wind Pro® Gloves 4 oz

Camp wear
Columbia Transport Bi-Component Mid-Weight Pants 4 oz

Columbia Transport Bi-Component Mid-Weight Crewneck Top 5 oz
Campmor Microfleece Crewneck Shirt 13 oz

2 Bandanas 4 oz

Camp Shoes (Crocs) 2 oz

One pair of wool rag socks 2 oz
Will Wear rain/wind pants in camp if trail pants don’t work

Misc. Stuff
1 led lights, 1 oz
Leatherman Kick™ Multi-Tool 6 oz
50 ft of parachute cord (Guts pulled out) 2 oz
Trail Data Book/ Maps/ Trail Journal ????
compass ????

Head Lamp (include extra lamp and batteries )????

Total Weight 22 lbs Dry (Approx)

Not as much as I thought it would be. I am shooting for a 45 lb max pack. Planning for 5 day duration at that weight. Longer trips would weigh more in begninning.

Am I on the right track here?