PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Kilts

GolfHiker
02-11-2012, 15:06
I don't see many threads on the subject of kilts, mens kilts. Just wondering what the current level of use on the trail is, by thrus, by others... I see a site, Sport Kilt, that has a Hiker model. Looks cool, maybe worth trying?

Anyone out there wearing a Kilt? Pluses & minuses?

Badspeller
02-11-2012, 15:43
Maybe the low attention on the "kilt" topic, is the answer to your question.

Wags
02-11-2012, 16:22
search for "raul perez". he wears one and will answer some of your Q's.

Raul Perez
02-11-2012, 17:30
Kilts are good. Sport kilt hiker model is A-OK! Converted my wayward hiking partner last trip. Best decision I've made. Great ventilation, light weight, washing up is easy at creeks, and going to the bathroom was never so easy

Majortrauma
02-11-2012, 17:48
Kilts are awesome. It's that simple. Now you have to delve into the very sensitive issue of commando or non-commando.
A very personal preference but I prefer commando and I have had no issues with my excessive rubbing of twigs and berries nor any other discomfort.

Stir Fry
02-11-2012, 18:43
Been using only kilts for last two years. Its the only way to hike, if there is a minus to them I have not found it. Unless you worry about what someone thinks.

GolfHiker
02-11-2012, 20:30
So in the end, it's a combination of attitude & practicality, or at least it seems that way.

Raul Perez
02-11-2012, 20:34
Attitude... yeah lots of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mWjZKPdzVI

Mr. Clean
02-12-2012, 05:47
I've been wearing mine for many years, all day hiking and overnights. Will never go back to pants for hiking.

cricket71
02-12-2012, 06:25
I too have found that "sport kilts" are the way to go. they are not only for hiking or attention getting, I like wearing them whenever possible and safe, not at work. the freedom of movement and the comfort is something one has to find out for themselves. Never be embarassed from wearing one eithor, those that woory what others think of them should just get back in line and keep trudging along with the rest of the cattle. ***peace****

SouthMark
02-12-2012, 10:24
I too have found that "sport kilts" are the way to go. they are not only for hiking or attention getting, I like wearing them whenever possible and safe, not at work. the freedom of movement and the comfort is something one has to find out for themselves. Never be embarassed from wearing one eithor, those that woory what others think of them should just get back in line and keep trudging along with the rest of the cattle. ***peace****

Ditto.....

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 10:28
Its just been awhile - cant talk about kilts when there's a few inches of snow on the ground... leads to blue balls.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=1039565

boyinasuitcase
02-12-2012, 10:44
I'll be wearing the hiker's kilt for my thru hike starting in april. i'll see how it goes... first kilt, first thru attempt.

Del Q
02-12-2012, 14:28
Love mine, a lot more pluses and not, good gear.

ChinMusic
02-12-2012, 15:04
Major tick-checking required.

Pants + Permethrin = no ticks there.

Senor Jalapeno
02-12-2012, 16:06
Wore my mountain hardwear kilt last year. Will be wearing it this year. My gf even made me a rain kilt. Can't beat the freedom of the kilt!

wornoutboots
02-12-2012, 16:39
So what are some of the best sport kilt companies?

Bucho
02-12-2012, 18:15
I say a number of people on the AT in kilts last year. But it seemed like all the kilts were way more expensive than a pair of running shorts so I went with those instead.

Blue Jay
02-12-2012, 19:26
Ex Officio and Mountain Hardware make great hiking skirts. For some strange reason if they are on men they are called kilts.

Blue Jay
02-12-2012, 19:28
The only downside I've ever found is that it takes slightly more time to hitch hike.

cricket71
02-12-2012, 19:46
permitherin on the compression shorts so the ticks don't bite our &^%$'s. went out today with the wife today 14degrees in them there woods good socks good layers on the upper body and a wool kilt and the world is your stage. I go in for the "sport kilt" and "buyakilt.com" and "thecelticcroft" depending on what you like. In the winter a nice 8yard marino wool is cozy in the warmer months a poly kilt is nice and lite and they dry real fast if it rains.

kayak karl
02-12-2012, 20:25
Major tick-checking required.

Pants + Permethrin = no ticks there.
we have chigger in jersey. kilt, no way. long pants and permethrin all season.

GolfHiker
02-12-2012, 20:32
Chin: what do you think? can I pull this off?

GolfHiker
02-12-2012, 20:38
Ex Officio and Mountain Hardware make great hiking skirts. For some strange reason if they are on men they are called kilts.

Blue Jay... not sure why, but I just checked the EO & MH websites & did not see anything about kilts....

ChinMusic
02-12-2012, 20:47
Chin: what do you think? can I pull this off?

You got the legs for it..............

Mr. Clean
02-13-2012, 05:56
Sportkilts are at sportkilt dot com

Downhill Trucker
02-13-2012, 07:32
I loved my mountain hardwear kilt this summer. Curious how it would hold up in extended rain though...

They are kind of hard to find now. I have seen them on eBay... I got mine at an Rei clearance.

doritotex
02-13-2012, 07:40
OK I was wrong. I guess there is a group of emasculated men out on the trail looking for attention as to who has the prettiest dress. Maybe next year it will be men's hiking bikinis, and from there you guys will need full on bra and pantie sets. .. come on ..what ever, just don't try to sleep next to me, I would wager the kilt is not the extent of the deviance.... and is a red flag to any other guy who wants to cuddle with a man who knows just how his "attitude & practicality" will attract other guys who wear dresses too. Its 2012, I am sure someone will tell me about Scottish Kilts and ..blah blah blah... If you think this is a rude post, its my opinion get over it..maybe you could go get yourself a nice camisole and write an entry on the forum post about "crying on the trail" lol. Dude .. even my gay friends think kilts are super-queer..... lmaoThis is evidence that you will have problems in the South, I live in east Tennessee and if I were I man I would be afraid to wear a kilt on the trail, some hunters might not take too kindly to a man in a dress! And you would have to change to pants of course before going into town. I dont know why the men here are so worried about about mens "manlyhood"!

Jim Adams
02-13-2012, 07:54
I switch back and forth between kilts and pants...just depends what mood I'm in but for the most part, kilts are the most comfortable way to hike that I have found. Go commando and you eliminate all chafing problems and gaitors solve most of the tick problems in high vegetation areas. I started with a sport kilt and liked it so much that I purchased 2 more (other brands) kilts just to try them. I still like the SportKilt the best for hiking. I've also worn mine from Georgia to Pennsylvania without problems from the public. Occassionally you will run into closed minded ignorant people but for the most part, they are shunned by most others on the trail...just pay no attention to them...history is full of ............

geek

GolfHiker
02-13-2012, 08:47
To One & All ( Including Badspeller). this has been fun. I am going to get a kilt & wear it proudly!

SouthMark
02-13-2012, 10:36
“The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: Be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.”

Grits
02-13-2012, 14:42
For some of us wearing Kilts are a matter of heratage. Come an enjoy the games an festivities.
http://www.gmhg.org/Caber%20Toss%20Photo%20Gallery%202011.htm

Blue Jay
02-14-2012, 07:44
Blue Jay... not sure why, but I just checked the EO & MH websites & did not see anything about kilts....

Damn, you're right, I should have said "used to make". Glad mine are in ggod shape after thousands of miles.
Anyone have an XL or XXL they'd like to sell.

Blue Jay
02-14-2012, 07:54
Found the Ex Officio, forgot only insecure males call them kilts not the actual company description. You really don't need the scottish stripes or that weird ball bag in the front. The best hiking skirt IMO is under Woman's Vent'r Skirt. No more diaper effect when it rains, the water just flows down the skirt onto the ground. What a concept.

BobM
02-22-2012, 11:50
I've been wearing mine for many years, all day hiking and overnights. Will never go back to pants for hiking.

Absolutely right! Here is western NC kilts are not uncommon. I have been all over the Shining Rock-Cold Mountain area for years and have never wished for (UGH) pants. Woolie kilts for cold weather, acrylic for in between weather, and cotton or other synthetic for summer. On a weekend hike I will usually meet one or two other guys who like their comfort, and now and then one who has decided that skirts in gereral (a kilt is a skirt) are the way to go. There is no reason not to wear whatever you like.

sbhikes
02-22-2012, 19:08
I was walking on campus where I worked yesterday and saw a guy wearing a kilt in a very bright yellow and other color tartan with matching socks and a sporran. I love men in kilts. It should be mandatory. Nothing says I'm secure in my manhood don't f with me than a man with big muscles and and awesome kilt. Anyway, I wouldn't get a woman's skirt if I were you. They almost never are wide enough in the hemline for easy climbing over or straddling of logs. I have had to modify one of my hiking skirts so I could just climb stairs. I have a wrap-around skirt that's way better but you gotta be mindful of wind. Skirts suck when there's a lot of poison oak, but it's the same as shorts.

ScottP
02-23-2012, 16:06
I rock a Mountain Hardwear kilt (the older model, but the new one looks nice too). Comfy for me and a major part of my anti-chafing solution.

Hooch
02-23-2012, 16:26
I rock a Mountain Hardwear kilt (the older model, but the new one looks nice too). Comfy for me and a major part of my anti-chafing solution.I've got the ElKommando (newer model), but would love to have one of the older ones in khaki. Enjoy!

Raul Perez
02-23-2012, 16:54
You guys should check out the sport kilt hiker version. I had the Elkommando and once I got the sport kilt I sold the Elkommando. Just a much better kilt for hiking all around (my personal opinion)

Hooch
02-23-2012, 16:56
You guys should check out the sport kilt hiker version. I had the Elkommando and once I got the sport kilt I sold the Elkommando. Just a much better kilt for hiking all around (my personal opinion)Was checking them out earlier today, WM. Definitely giving it a hard look. I like the blue.

charliebrown
02-23-2012, 17:01
I hiked in the mountain hardwear elkommando kilt last summer and loved it. Plan to wear it again this year, specially on Patties Day; rain, snow, or shine.

DogPaw
02-29-2012, 10:51
Aside from the fact that wearing one would likely traumatize one of my partners and arouse the other one, how mobile can I be in a kilt? I like to run ahead on trails, vault over things with my staff, climb at random, that sort of thing. I don't want to get caught on anything.

GolfHiker
03-03-2012, 14:13
I think it's time I asked the question I have yet to see addressed. I like the look, the comfort, convenience. So when it comes to wearing your kilt, do you always go commando? Is it a breach of kilt ettiquet to wear briefs or boxers? Given the potential of ticks, should you at least consider briefs?

Raul Perez
03-03-2012, 17:37
I wear UA compression shorts as my legs just rub together naturally (I'm definitely not fat). So the UA shorts keep the friction down and the kilt keeps everything ventilated.

ChinMusic
03-03-2012, 17:44
I think it's time I asked the question I have yet to see addressed. I like the look, the comfort, convenience. So when it comes to wearing your kilt, do you always go commando? Is it a breach of kilt ettiquet to wear briefs or boxers? Given the potential of ticks, should you at least consider briefs?

I think Injinji might make something you'd be interested in...........

ScottP
03-03-2012, 21:08
The only downside I've ever found is that it takes slightly more time to hitch hike.
Or you wish it didn't :/

rocketsocks
03-03-2012, 21:17
If you really go ultra light wear a great kilt.That is what you see them wearing in movies like Rob Roy ,and Brave Hart,just to name a few more modern ones.A great kilt is worn around the waist and up over the shoulder and fasten with a kilt pin,used for warmth during those cold Scottish highland nights.Trying this could eliminate the use for sleeping bag,good luck with that.I think if given a choice of great kilt or sleeping bag the present day highlander would take the bag.

cabbagehead
03-06-2012, 13:46
I love using thin clothes sprayed heavily with permethrin. I don't check for ticks. I make sure that any entrances for ticks are covered with chemicals.

treborx
07-19-2016, 22:09
I switch back and forth between kilts and pants...just depends what mood I'm in but for the most part, kilts are the most comfortable way to hike that I have found. Go commando and you eliminate all chafing problems
I believe boxer-briefs are best for chaffing as they are a protective layer. I have never chaffed but I have seen a lot of people say that the right underwear is the solution, not the problem, for people who do chaff.

treborx
07-19-2016, 22:16

That is like saying "Fruit of the Loom and Jockey make great underwear. For some strange reason if they are on women they are called panties."

All panties are underwear, but not all underwear are panties.

All kilts are skirts, but not all skirts are kilts. Skirts become kilts when they:

1. Are designed for men.
2. Are knee-length.
3. Wrap-around.
4. Have pleats in the back.

Gambit McCrae
07-20-2016, 08:12
I have been thinking about kilts for a while now. Saw German fella in Mass SoBoing to GA. He had a mountain hardware kilt. Saw him again south of bland, Va and he was still wearing it.

Saw another fella at partnership shelter, wearing a homemade tyvek kilt. Said he had about 5000 AT miles on it, and it looked like it lol

rocketsocks
07-20-2016, 09:15
There's nothin' wrong with a man wanting to wear a skirt, been doin' for 2000 years, but guys...leave the panties home! :D

Slo-go'en
07-20-2016, 09:31
I meet a guy wearing a kilt on the trail this year. He told me since he started wearing one, he gets many more hitch hiking rides from older woman. Hummm....

la.lindsey
07-20-2016, 09:43
There's nothin' wrong with a man wanting to wear a skirt, been doin' for 2000 years, but guys...leave the panties home! :D

Why? What's wrong with panties? I wear panties, and I bet I hike just as well as you.

Consider that when you denigrate women's clothing, gentlemen, you are, by association, denigrating women. Words have meaning, even when we're joking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
07-20-2016, 12:27
Why? What's wrong with panties? I wear panties, and I bet I hike just as well as you.

Consider that when you denigrate women's clothing, gentlemen, you are, by association, denigrating women. Words have meaning, even when we're joking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkthat was your take away huh, denegration...farewell and adieu.

egilbe
07-20-2016, 14:12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if youve ever noticed or not, but panties dont fit men as well as women. Not enough room for our dangly bits. Good advice from rocketsocks.

Rex Clifton
08-27-2016, 19:32
I have one and use it, but I look ridiculous!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk