PDA

View Full Version : Water at Carpenter Camp in Big Cypress

erichkopp
02-11-2012, 16:43
I'm planning on taking some friends camping in Big Cypress with me and was thinking Carpenter Camp would be an easy hike for everyone. One map I have says there is surface water at the site and another map I have states that there is not. I can't remember whether or not there actually is water from the few hikes I've done north of I-75. Can anyone confirm? Also, has anyone been hiking on the blue-blazed trail that can report on how passable the trail is right now? Last time I was out there it was pretty over-grown.

Thanks!

erichkopp
02-14-2012, 10:44
Went out on Sunday and there was very little water in the prairie. I seem to remember it being wet enough to filter water in the summertime. Either way, we carried in all of our water and had an awesome couple of days in the Big Cypress. Temps dropped down to about 40* during the night. Pretty cold for South Florida!

WingedMonkey
02-14-2012, 11:18
Although a few inches of rain fell in some areas from that wannabe tropical storm right before your trip, we are still about 8" below normal since November.
I would expect water locations in the Big Cypress to drop more as we continue into what is the "dry" season anyway.