PDA

View Full Version : section hike clothing

hikernewb
02-11-2012, 17:48
I've got a big debate going on in my head about how much and what clothing to bring. I'm one of those travelers that always packs too much "better enough then not enough". But I'm trying to keep my pack @ 40lbs or less. Doing the GA to NC section starting 4/21 with a good friend, hiking for 8 days. So not sure what to bring, here's what I'm thinking:
2 short sleeve drifit shirts
1 long sleeve drift shirt
2 pair merino wool socks
3 drifit boxer briefs
1 drifit leggings
1 zip off pant
1 gym short
1 fleece
1 poncho

Please, any and all advice is much welcomed. Too much or too little?

ocourse
02-11-2012, 18:20
I would eliminate 1 short sleeve shirt, 3 briefs, 1 leggings, and 1 gym short. Also depends on how well you do going without underwear, and whither you can/want to wash a shirt along the way. You can keep warm and dry while hiking, and you can wrap up in a sleeping bag in camp.

MaybeTomorrow
02-11-2012, 19:18
2 pair merino wool socks

long sleeve drift shirt
fleece top
driducks top

gym short
drifit leggings
driducks bottoms

buff
mittens
4 bread bags

Papa D
02-11-2012, 20:26
no point in having 3 shirts - just one short sleeve should be fine -- a little concerning is the fleece / poncho - is it a good 100% polyester patagonia or arcteryx type to keep you warm? Is the poncho bona-fide backpacking poncho or something from walmart? Being cold and wet in the woods is dangerous - I've seen people nearly hypothermic in North Carolina in JULY - just because we have warmer temps as of late is not a good reason to underestimate mother nature's potential to make the mountains very cold, very foggy, or very wet in April.

Del Q
02-11-2012, 23:38
I go out for 10-12 days on each section hike, one merino wool tee shirt, on pair of boxers (merino wool - much better, ton less stink), thin long sleeve patagonia capilene top, go lite wind shirt, mont bell synthetic jacket, merino wool long johns, shorts or kilt, 3 pairs socks. Too many clothes and too much food cost me a LOT of weight in the past.