PDA

View Full Version : Feathered Friends Sleeping Bag Q

jjimen16
02-12-2012, 02:45
Does anyone have experience with the FF bags with the Pertex Endurance UL material as opposed to the standard Nanosphere?

How much lighter would the hummingbird or the swallow be with this material? Is the the durability significantly compromised for this weight savings. Any experience with these bags in general would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

fiddlehead
02-12-2012, 03:16
Don't knonw abou this Pertex stuff but will say this:
I bought a Hummingbird in '96 and have done 4 thru's with this bag plus a lot of worldwide travel.
The bag is still in good shape.

When I bought it, I ordered the lightest weight material they had on both inside and outside.
It has held up very well. There are still no tears in the bag, although it has lost some down over the 1,000's of nights I have slept in this bag.
I wash it about once or twice a year and believe that if you buy a bag with that material that is supposedly water/moisture resistant, it will also keep your bag from drying out (from your perspiration) and it will get heavier because of this.

Anyway, lots of opinions on THAT but, that's my beliefs.
When I do another thru, I will most likely buy another Hummingbird as I need more warmth now but, will still buy one with the same, lightest weight shell and inside.
(and the more expensive down)

mike220
02-21-2012, 22:13
I have three Feathered Friends bags, of which one is of the new Pertex material. When buying it I was told the Pertex is a better product both for durrability and water resistance.

So far I haven't seen anything to dissprove that. It is definitely more water resistant. Any water contacting it beads up very well.