PDA

View Full Version : 10lbs shedded after revising need a little more help though.

Scribbles82
02-12-2012, 09:34
Well I know it has been awhile though i have been out of town and haven't had access to the internet. Though i have taken into consideration all of your advices and have come up with the following so please let me know what else I may do to lower my total pack weight. I have not included food nor water so please take that into consideration.

My current Base Pack Weight is 414.25oz = 25lbs 14.25oz

My new list consist of the following so please critique yet remember my funds are limited and I am working with what I have. If you were to look at my previous list you will see that I have gotten rid of over 10lbs of stuff so far. So anything will help... THank you

Clothes 95.5oz = 5lbs 15.5oz

1 Bandana 1oz
1 Dri-Star Under Armour 4.5oz
Titanium Quick-Dry T-shirt 6oz
Dri-Star Thermal Top 5.25oz
Dri-Star Thermal Bottoms 6oz
1 Pair of Boxers 3oz
Swimming Shorts 7oz
2 Pairs Dri-Star Nylon/Polyester Socks 2.25oz
1 Pair Wool Socks 3oz
Zero-X-Posure Gloves 3oz
Water-Proof Insulated Jacket 39oz
Fleece jacket 15.5oz

Tent Bag 82.25oz - 5lbs2.25oz

Bag 2.75oz
REI Passanger 2 Tent 31oz
REI Passanger 2 Rainfly 26.5oz
10 Aluminum Stakes 3.5oz
2 Aluminum Poles w/bag 17oz
2 Tie Down Strings 1.5oz

Sleeping 60.5oz = 3lbs 12.5oz

Army Closed-Cell Sleeping Pad 19.5oz
Army 30+ Sleeping Bag 37oz
REI Sleeping Bag Stuff Sack 1oz
Mylar Sleeping Bag 3oz

Backpack 67oz = 4lbs 3oz

Osprey Atmos 65 Backpack 57oz
Osprey Medium Backpack Cover 4oz
2Liter H2O Bladder 6oz

Books 15oz

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker's Compainion 11oz
Journal 4oz

Repair Kit 2oz

(Gorilla Super Glue, Saftey Pins,1 Ferrules,
2 Nylon Mesh Patch, Floor Patch, Ripstop Nylon Patch,
Shock Cord, 2 Steel Needles, 20ft Fishing Line)

Medical 7.5oz

2 Moleskins, 10 Bandaids, 10 Butterfly Closures,
Small Roll Gauze, Neosporin, Lip Balm 2oz

Inhaler 1.5oz
Deet 1oz
Mini Swiss Knife 1oz
Pain Pills 1oz
Elastic Wrap 1oz

Stove Bag 31oz = 1lb 15oz

Steel Pot W/Lid 8.5oz
20 Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Tablets .25oz
Stove, Pot Stand, Windscreen 2oz
Spoon 1.25oz
Potable Aqua Iodine + PA 2oz
Matches .25oz
Lighter .25oz
2 Bottles Fuel 8.5oz
Steel Cup 5oz
35ft Parachute Cord 3oz

Bathroom/Hygenie 39.5oz = 2lbs 7.5oz

Camp Towel 3.5oz
Shampoo&Conditioner 3oz
Wipes 9oz
Floss .5oz
Deoderant 2.5oz
Toilet Paper 3oz
Dr. Bonner's Bar Soap 6oz
Brush 2.5oz
Toothpaste 4oz
Toothbrush 1.5oz
Hand Sanitizer 3oz
Q-Tips 1oz

Misc 14oz

2 S-Biners 1oz
Knife 5oz
Flashlight 2.5oz
Misc 5.5oz

Now Here is a list of Clothes that I will be wearing on me and are not included in my base weight.

48.75oz = 3lbs .75oz

Sunglasses 1oz
1 Bandana 1oz
SD Baseball Hat 3.5oz
1 Dri-Star Under Armour 4.5oz
Champion T-Shirt 6.5oz
Columbia Titanium Long-Sleeve Shirt 10.5oz

1 Pair of Boxers 3oz
Columbia Omni-Wick Convertible Pants 12.5oz
1 Pair Dri-Star Nylon/Polyester Socks 1.25oz
Insect Shield OR Gaiters 5oz

Trek Poles 24oz = 1lb 8oz

*Trek Poles Outdoor (Walmart) 22.5oz
*Duct Tape 1.5oz

Scribbles82
02-12-2012, 09:34
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?80534-Here-s-my-list-Please-critique

My first list before I revised

Hooch
02-12-2012, 09:40
I'm gonna give the "Spokes" answer to this. Use this list as an excellent start and add as little to it as possible. It's what my packing list is based from.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Spokes
02-12-2012, 10:01
I'm gonna give the "Spokes" answer to this. Use this list as an excellent start and add as little to it as possible. It's what my packing list is based from.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Thanks Hooch. Yeehaw, best post ever. Scribbles82, that list will give you a 16-18 lb cold weather pack. Not too shabby.

You can ditch the paracord and replace with 2mm cord. Plenty strong to hang food. Don't forget to cut some extra for a clothes drying line too.

Cheers!

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 10:54
Right behind Hootch on that one...

Water-Proof Insulated Jacket 39oz - that stood out -

Repair (no need) - kit (wrap a small amount of duct tape on pole)

Your under armour is your T- Shirt - leave the cotton at home.

no need for gaiters

Just a toothbush and tootpaste - toss the rest - ya going to stink anyway... you can get the others in town when you check in.

Find a lighter pot - aluminum.... and cup

you will need another pair of socks.

pull out the baindaids add imodium

Swimming shorts? why whats wrong with buck naked? - change the boxers to polypro and use them....

4 oz $20 Dollar pack covers - yea I have seen a lot of them and folks swear by them - but a 1oz kitchen garbage bag on the inside is priceless.

The biggest issue is the tent and sleep system - very heavy... but I am going to guess that's what you can afford....

mountain squid
02-12-2012, 10:58
Some observations:

a 30f bag might not be warm enough
insulated jacket and fleece jacket - will you ever wear both at same time?
something extra to hold water
consider bouncing portions of The Companion
still 2 knives ?!?
shampoo, conditioner, deoderant and dr b's ?!?
steel pot and steel cup ?!?
sunscreen
35 ft para cord might not be enough
ear plugs

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 11:13
Ya left out the pack what is it? what does it weigh?

RodentWhisperer
02-12-2012, 12:02
I've not looked at the Backpacker gear list, so I can't comment upon it. I do know they generally are quite a reliable info source, though.

I've been acquiring lightweight gear for a while now, and have been trying to finalize my own thru-hike gear list. So take this as a comment from a guy in the same situation as you: as noble/complete as your list is, there are lighter weight alternatives out there for everything on it. And I do mean EVERYTHING. And not all of it is costly, either.

Case in point: your clothes. I'll echo the Wise Owl's hoot about the swimming shorts-- if you're not too modest, skinny-dipping can really make you feel one with nature, and would cut 7 oz. You can purchase silk thermals for not a lot of money from Campmor, and cut 5 oz. You can cut 3 oz by skipping the boxers-- either go commando or wear pants/shorts with an inner mesh brief. You could probably also skip the wool socks-- I'm assuming they will be sleep socks-- because you can easily wear your second pair of hiking socks. That would cut another 3 oz. There are lighter weight gloves at any home-improvement store; you could cut another 1 oz. The insulated jacket is overkill, and it's redundant as well-- do you really need it and a fleece jacket? If you kept the fleece jacket and went with a waterproof, breathable shell instead of the insulated jacket, you'd cut about 15 oz.

TOMP
02-12-2012, 12:23
Good job getting rid of a lot of the weight, but since your items left havent changed from the original list just go back to the original post and see what else you should dump. There were several people that gave very detailed listed of everything you should leave at home/switch out.
In general I would look at the following:
Tent is too heavy to make any sense, there are cheap tents (under 100 dollars) that are around 3 lbs.
Sleeping pad is too heavy- buy a Solite pad for 25 bucks and see if you like it its about 9 oz.
Your Hygiene department is 39 oz, mine is 5 oz there has to be some room to drop weight there.
You can try to legitimize that waterproof insulated jacket but its just too heavy; 39 oz doesnt make sense. You have insulation in that 16 oz fleece jacket so just add a waterproof shell for another 10-15 oz at most. I have a down vest 8oz plus a waterproof shell 15 oz that does the same job as both the 16 oz fleece and insulated waterproof 39 oz. My total 23 oz versus yours 55 oz, whose back is happier? I am sure they are great jackets but they dont make sense on a thru-hike. It's the wrong tool for the job.

This should get you sub-20lbs which is probably where you want to be without loosing all your comforts or making too many purchases.

Slo-go'en
02-12-2012, 13:13
RE: Swiming shorts - I carry a pair of nylon shorts for this. Every so often I'll end up at a real hotel like a Holiday Inn or such with a swiming pool or hot tub and having something to wear and take advantage of a luxury like that is worth it. Plus, the shorts give you something to wear when doing laundry.

I agree with everyone on the insulated jacket.

I don't see any rain gear - not even a poncho. Personally I don't like poncho's - they flop around too much in the wind and don't do much to help keep you warm. A good rain jacket is expensive - and probably isn't worth the money anyway. I've had reasonably good luck with a nylon shell type jacket with a water repelant liberally applied. The nylon shell is also used over the fleece jacket to trap air inside and keep you warmer.

BigHodag
02-12-2012, 13:43
I assume you're on a tight budget, so things that stood out for me:

The shelter system seems too heavy. In the shipping box, this inexpensive youth tent is still 2 pounds lighter:

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-Basic-Training-Youth/dp/B004OWQILK

Carry a $1 light plastic drop cloth if you're worried about the above tent's waterproofing. Duct tape to tent poles and its a near bomb proof tent.

The Army sleeping bag and pad. Trim the corners of the pad to shave a few ounces. Might buy/borrow a lighter bag. A blue foam pad from Walmart is just 12 oz versus your 19. (I use a 1.5 pound poncho liner in the summer.)

2 pounds for your cookset is heavy. Switch from steel to hard anodized aluminum. Cheapest solution is to buy a $5 scout cookset and take just the pot, lid and plastic cup. You didn't list a stove. A Supercat alcohol stove is less than 2 oz. Use a 16-20 oz pop bottle for a fuel bottle.

The raincoat is heavy. Consider lightweight Dri-Ducks/Frog Toggs ($20). For puffy insulation you could wrap your sleeping bag around you underneath the Dri-ducks jacket or maybe go with an Extreme Cold Weather Parka Liner:

http://www.armynavysales.com/products/extreme-cold-weather-parka-liner/

Drop the second heavier 5 oz knife.

Pare 1 pound from your hygeine kit. Soap vs shampoo/conditioner.

Also, a later start could allow you to select lighter, higher temp gear.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 13:54
Oh Scribbles - you have two threads on the same subject - go over to the other one and see 4 eyes answer....... yikes.

Ohio Grown
02-12-2012, 14:10
A few cheap ounces to shave:

Regular therm-a-rest ridge-rest is 14 oz. for $30 http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad Wal-mart pad is also a chaep option here but probably isnt as warm.

Ditch the 4 oz pack cover and use a heavy-duty yard-waste of trash compactor bag as a pack-liner instead.

get a spoon like this http://www.rei.com/product/784705/light-my-fire-spork and drop an ounce for $3.25

Spokes
02-12-2012, 16:49

get a spoon like this http://www.rei.com/product/784705/light-my-fire-spork and drop an ounce for $3.25

Be forewarned- its nearly impossible to eat a pint of hard frozen Ben & Jerry's ice cream with one of these! I say make it your back up but carry a titanium spoon as your main mouth blade.

Cheers!

Skid.
02-12-2012, 18:11
skip the deodorant, replace the steel cup with plastic, and tear out the pages of the thru hikers guide that you need, mail the rest ahead. you list a knife 5oz, and a mini-swiss knife. If the mini has a blade, ditch the 5-oz one.

Scribbles82
02-12-2012, 18:45
Right behind Hootch on that one...

Water-Proof Insulated Jacket 39oz - that stood out -

Repair (no need) - kit (wrap a small amount of duct tape on pole)

Your under armour is your T- Shirt - leave the cotton at home.

no need for gaiters

Just a toothbush and tootpaste - toss the rest - ya going to stink anyway... you can get the others in town when you check in.

Find a lighter pot - aluminum.... and cup

you will need another pair of socks.

pull out the baindaids add imodium

Swimming shorts? why whats wrong with buck naked? - change the boxers to polypro and use them....

4 oz $20 Dollar pack covers - yea I have seen a lot of them and folks swear by them - but a 1oz kitchen garbage bag on the inside is priceless.

The biggest issue is the tent and sleep system - very heavy... but I am going to guess that's what you can afford....

The Swimming shorts are actually my second pair of shorts while my first pair are from the convertible pants.

Scribbles82
02-12-2012, 19:00
Ya left out the pack what is it? what does it weigh?

No it's in there its 57oz for my backpack

MJW155
02-12-2012, 22:47
A good rain jacket is expensive - and probably isn't worth the money anyway. I've had reasonably good luck with a nylon shell type jacket with a water repelant liberally applied. The nylon shell is also used over the fleece jacket to trap air inside and keep you warmer.

A good rain jacket is definately worth the money. I used to work outside when I was younger. On days when there was a Nor'Eastern (NJ) I'd be the only one dry and it was b/c I spent $75 on a proper rain jacket. And this was when I was making min. wage. Definately worth the money, IMO. No need for rainpants though if you wear shorts. Legs being exposed would cool my core enough so my torso wasn't sweating w/ the rain jacket on.

Blissful
02-12-2012, 23:32
Be forewarned- its nearly impossible to eat a pint of hard frozen Ben & Jerry's ice cream with one of these! I say make it your back up but carry a titanium spoon as your main mouth blade.

Cheers!

The light my fire stink. Broke mine eating PB. Just get a Lexan spoon. Mine lasted the whole hike for eighty cents.

Blissful
02-12-2012, 23:36
A few cheap ounces to shave:

Regular therm-a-rest ridge-rest is 14 oz. for $30 http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad Wal-mart pad is also a chaep option here but probably isnt as warm.

Ditch the 4 oz pack cover and use a heavy-duty yard-waste of trash compactor bag as a pack-liner instead.

For all those that say ditch the pack cover and go with the trash compactor - no way. It will NOT keep all your contents dry. I had the bottom of my pack get wet on the outside (a ULA catalyst), it went through the pack, and through the compactor bag inside to my neoair. Easily dried but still, I was glad the rest of my pack was dry from the pack cover I used. Esp in hard rain. Not worth chancing wet gear with 4 ounces

Dodds1990
02-13-2012, 15:19
Black diamond betamid tarp tent is around $80 on Amazon.com and you already have trekking poles so you are set. It is a lot lighter than your tent and you don't need a rain fly either.

Ohio Grown
02-14-2012, 11:35
For all those that say ditch the pack cover and go with the trash compactor - no way. It will NOT keep all your contents dry. I had the bottom of my pack get wet on the outside (a ULA catalyst), it went through the pack, and through the compactor bag inside to my neoair. Easily dried but still, I was glad the rest of my pack was dry from the pack cover I used. Esp in hard rain. Not worth chancing wet gear with 4 ounces

Fair enough, I was just trying for a cheap weight-saving alternative. I actually prefer pack covers myself, too. If you've got $44 to spare you can get a cuben fiber pack cover from zpacks that weighs 0.9 oz http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/pack_cover.shtml