PDA

View Full Version : Max Patch / Roan Highlands best time to hike

dmperkins74
02-12-2012, 10:46
Hey there y'all,

Planning out some section hikes and was wondering when's the best time of year to do the Max Patch / Roan Highlands areas?

Thanks
alphaPig

Lone Wolf
02-12-2012, 10:47
mid-May.......

10-K
02-12-2012, 10:51
... or October

wornoutboots
02-12-2012, 11:08
or when the wind isn't blowing 60 miles an hour & the rain/sleet & snow is cutting you in half : O )

I went thru Roan in Mid October, I was in Awe!

Kerosene
02-12-2012, 13:19
I went over Roan in late October 2009 with 6" of new snow on the ground, a temperature of 10F, with sustained 40 mph winds and gusts to 70. Incredible it was, with the sky perfectly clear. I went through Grayson Highlands in early June 2007 over a cool but gorgeous weekend. Both were memorable experiences.
I'd suggest September/October for Roan, and mid-June or September for Grayson.

Cookerhiker
02-12-2012, 15:14
I'd want to hike Roan highlands when the rhododendron are blooming but I don't know exactly when that is - early June perhaps?

Sugarfoot
02-12-2012, 18:23
I also think June, when the rhododendron, azaleas and Gray's Lilly are all in bloom. The variety of colors on the azaleas was amazing. The elevation is high enough that the temperatures are moderate. In 2004, I had mid-30's at Big Bald Shelter in late June.

karo
02-12-2012, 21:02
[QUOTE=Cookerhiker;1252087]I'd want to hike Roan highlands when the rhododendron are blooming but I don't know exactly when that is - early June perhaps?Typically the peak of the Rhododendron bloom is around the third week in June. I know that it has been warmer in the past few years (not starting an argument about global warming just stating facts), so a good guess is between the 2nd and 4th week of June.

dmperkins74
02-12-2012, 21:14
Good for me to consider... I've been on SOOOOO many hikes through massive amounts of rhododendrons that are NOT in bloom, so I always seem to miss them, would be nice to actually see them in bloom at some point. Thanks for the info.

waywardfool
02-12-2012, 21:45
Fall is probably my favorite time of year in the Roan Mountain area.

For rhododendrons, I always try and hit the weekend closest to June 15 for catching them both there and at Grayson Highlands. Usually hit it more often than not.

For Roan, the big Rhododendron Festival sometimes makes for traffic backups around RMSP if you are trying to shuttle, this year it's the w/e of June 16/17th.

Heavy rains and high winds can knock the blooms down/apart. A couple of years ago, iirc it was the w/e of June 20th-ish, about 90 percent of the petals were on the ground, knocked apart by heavy rains. It was pretty in it's own way...petals were still colorful, just carpeting the ground. I'll try and find a pic.

bigcranky
02-12-2012, 22:00
Any time is awesome in both places if you are prepared for the weather. One of my favorite trips was a winter hike over Roan. Just awesome. (And frkn cold.)

bus
02-14-2012, 19:44
I've been in mid-October and in mid-June and I can tell you that you have to do both.
:D

mountainman
02-14-2012, 20:45
The 3rd week of June. The Rododendron are in full bloom.

dmperkins74
02-15-2012, 06:39
Is it stinking hot down there in the middle of June?

Cookerhiker
02-15-2012, 07:25
Is it stinking hot down there in the middle of June?

Much of the Trail after ascending from Erwin (NOBO) is over 4,500', often over 5,000' so it's not usually too bad. Roan Mountain itself is over 6,000'.

Chaco Taco
02-15-2012, 08:04
Hiked it in August and it was really really hot and really really dry. It was fun, just know that sometimes, just because the sun goes down, doesn't mean its going to get cooler. Camped on top a few times. One time in March the winds got so bad that we packed up in the middle of the night and hiked down in to the woods.

All in all this section is great, lottta bump and runs, up and downs. The terrain is great. The climb out of Standing Bear is a tad bit long because it is sooooo gradual. There are some spots that will really get your blood pumping. Don't be fooled when you get to Snowbird either cuz you drop back down and go right back up. Roan Mountain was a ball buster but fun. Climbing through the balsams is sweet.

The Highlands are very special. Been over the balds and humps in every type of weather condition. Just don't go over in lightening or Roan for that matter. Best time to hike it? Def peak fall and peak spring. Both time offer ridiculous beauty. This is hands down my favorite section in the south. Loads of open places to camp, LNT of course. It will be fun and awesome no matter when you do it!

lissersmith
02-15-2012, 12:34
Yep, about the third week in June is unbelievable.... Go north from Carver's Gap..