PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottle Preference?

dserum06
02-12-2012, 11:51
I have a Nalgene and a am looking to get a second one to carry. Do you guys like the platypus style or should I get another Nalgene? Something else? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Juice
02-12-2012, 11:53
Platypus 2liter and a Gatorade bottle.

map man
02-12-2012, 12:02
I use a combination of one liter gatorade bottles and one liter Platypus containers. I also plan to start using one Nalgene -- not the rigid one that can hold hot liquids but the softer one that weighs about half as much -- because I want a container that keeps its shape with a really wide mouth so I can get my powdered protein/carb mix into the bottle and shake it up.

Hooch
02-12-2012, 12:02
Platypus 2liter and a Gatorade bottle.+1. (The message you have entered is too short, blah, blah, blah)

BigHodag
02-12-2012, 12:04
I use an Aquafina bottle as they are as strong, but much lighter. Some prefer a Gatorade bottle for the wider mouth, but I find the Gatorade bottle too wide for my side pockets.

Instead of a Platypus, I use a mylar coffee bag recycled from a Starbucks to-go box. Easily holds 2-3 liters and costs far less. Sodexo, our local food service vendor, sells them new and unused for $5.

http://www.yackman.com/Yackman.com/Yackman_Sounds_Off!/Entries/2011/10/6_DIY_Hydration__Bargain_Basement_Hydration_Bags_f or_Your_Kayak.html

dserum06
02-12-2012, 12:09
ever have any problems with the platypus with carrying it, keeping it in the side pocket?

dserum06
02-12-2012, 12:16
and whats the difference with a nalgene over a gatorade bottle?

leaftye
02-12-2012, 12:18

A Nalgene is like a Gatorade bottle, except it costs a lot more, doesn't come with a beverage, weighs a lot more, and you won't want to replace it when it gets grimy inside.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2012, 12:24
nalgene and a gotorade bottle. platypus's leak

Leanthree
02-12-2012, 12:25

2oz or so I believe (gatorade lighter). Easiest/cheapest 4 oz. to save in your entire pack.

Nalgene is good for the hot beverage or hot water bottle in sleeping bag option when it is colder out but even then you only need one + one gatorade bottle.

map man
02-12-2012, 12:27
I like a rigid bottle to drink out of and the platypus for water storage -- I just pour the water from the platypus to the rigid bottle when the rigid bottle has run out of water. One advantage of the traditional heavier Nalgene is that you can put hot beverages in it which you can't with gatorade bottles and others of its ilk. But since I don't drink hot beverages on the trail it's not an issue for me.

Edit: Traditional Nalgene weighs a little over 6 ounces, I believe, while my one liter gatorade bottle weighs 2.3 ounces. The softer sided Nalgene not rated for hot liquids weighs a little over 3 ounces if my memory serves. You can save some weight by cutting off the plastic thing-a-ma-bob that connects the Nalgene lid to the rest of the bottle.

skinewmexico
02-12-2012, 13:03
Dasani bottles, and a 3L platypus. Nalgenes are so 80s.

Kerosene
02-12-2012, 13:15
I use an inverted 1.5L Nalgene Cantene with a hydration tube & bite valve placed in my side pocket. 4.5 ounces in total (most of it for the hose) and much less risk of leakage than an internal bladder. I currently carry a 1L Platy SoftBottle (0.9 oz) in my other side pocket.

garlic08
02-12-2012, 13:16
I agree with everyone above--ditch the Nalgene. It's bomb-proof, but on a three-season thru hike it's heavier than needed for its purpose. A one liter Gatorade bottle and two liter platy work great for me on a wet trail like the AT. Total weight is about three ounces, about half that of a one-liter Nalgene.

garlic08
02-12-2012, 13:16
...Nalgenes are so 80s.

And I still have mine from the 80s.

JansportD2
02-12-2012, 13:59
I use two, 1 liter seltzer bottles. They fit in the side pockets of my Golite Jam better than Gatorade bottles and also cost nothing. One bottle doubles as a duct tape dispenser (I wrap some duct tape around it). I bring a 2 liter Platypus for dry stretches, but I almost never use it and will probably leave it at home for this summer's section hike (Damascus to Harper's Ferry).

dserum06
02-12-2012, 14:07
thanks everyone :)

ChinMusic
02-12-2012, 14:42
If you go with the Gatorade bottle, carry an extra cap. I lost a cap once in heavy leaves and now carry an extra cap. Almost no weight.

edit: I also use another Gatorade bottle as a pee bottle. I suppose I could use the cap on that in an emergency........but nah.

Snow>TP
02-12-2012, 14:44
Some people like to reuse water bottles which is a great practice for lots of aspects of life but should not be done with plastic #1. These bottles leech at a high rate and really shouldnt be reused much or heated.

Nalgenes made from plastic #7 have bipenol A or BPA. 2, 4, or 5 do not. I doubt youll find 3 because PVC is widely known to cause some birth defects so dont touch it if you find it.

hydrate early and often

dserum06
02-12-2012, 15:19
Some people like to reuse water bottles which is a great practice for lots of aspects of life but should not be done with plastic #1. These bottles leech at a high rate and really shouldnt be reused much or heated.

Nalgenes made from plastic #7 have bipenol A or BPA. 2, 4, or 5 do not. I doubt youll find 3 because PVC is widely known to cause some birth defects so dont touch it if you find it.

hydrate early and often

This is something I was thinking about as well... Reusing water bottles like Dasani, etc are known to be "bad" plastic..

TOMP
02-12-2012, 15:20
the only benefit i have heard of using nalgene is using it as a hot water bottle and the fact that most pumps are designed to work with one. I dont use it for either purpose so I never owned a nalgene.

If you use platypus you pretty much need to carry a gatorade bottle or nalgene in order to fill it. The down side of platy is it has a really small opening.

I use Camelbak alone and I prefer it. So much so that I removed the water bottle holders from my pack to save weight. The opening is much larger making it easy to fill in a stream, easier than bottles or platy to me. Downside is it weighs around 7 oz instead of a 2 oz platy. I also feel comfortable mixing powders right in the camelbak, just make sure you dont let the residues set for months after use.

ChinMusic
02-12-2012, 15:53

Easy solution: Buy Gatorade several times along the way.

I personally do not care about the minor risk, but tend to get a new water bottle at my first convenience anyway, and demote my current Gatorade bottle to pee-bottle status.

daddytwosticks
02-12-2012, 16:30
Gatoraide, Poweraide, or 1L AquaFina bottles for carrying water on the trail. Some sort of Platy (2L or 4L Big Zip) for water while in camp. :)

bamboo bob
02-12-2012, 16:39
I use smart water bottles because the slender shape fits nicely in the mesh pocket of my Golite Trek. I get new one in each trail town. Is that a lot of reuse? I generally don't worry about such things. Birth defects would be highly unlikely.

Tuckahoe
02-12-2012, 16:53
I'll use most any bottle. Most of my water bottles are ones that get left by visitors at work. Have a nice little collection thats grown over the years.

lemon b
02-12-2012, 17:22
20 oz Sams bottled water. I carry two.

tophatxj
02-12-2012, 17:50
Nalgene, cabela's knock off klean kanteen, and camelback reservoir. Admittedly I am not anywhere close to an unltralite hiker. I don't take water sources for granted and assume one will always be where it is supposed to be.

Skid.
02-12-2012, 18:03
After my first section hike, I weighed my three Nalgene bottles empty. Found I was carrying 16 ounces of plastic. Switched to Platypus, shed 14 ounces.

takethisbread
02-12-2012, 18:14
Gatorade bottles . 2 bottles. Good for urinating in as well for guys at night when it's chilly outside the tent

MaybeTomorrow
02-13-2012, 03:00
I use two, 1 liter seltzer bottles. .

same but club soda bottles :) They are light, replacable, drop proof, never had one break or leak in the least. Only probably I ever had was once one fell out of my pack, rolled down the street and into a storm drain! Life is funny like that. ha ...ha....ha :(

daddytwosticks
02-13-2012, 08:11
Gatorade bottles . 2 bottles. Good for urinating in as well for guys at night when it's chilly outside the tent

This reminds me...I use a waterbottle that has a wide mouth. (Get your minds out of the gutter) This makes filling the bottle and adding Aqua-Mira easier. :)

dshideler
02-13-2012, 09:37
I kind of like this idea.

http://jjmatheshikes.blogspot.com/2010/11/hands-free-water-bottle.html?m=0

scope
02-13-2012, 10:08
+1 on the Camelback, and +1 on the Smartwater bottles - size depends on what section I'm in.

louisb
02-13-2012, 10:15
I like my soft sided Nalgene w/ the wide mouth.

--louis

turtle fast
02-13-2012, 13:47
I like to hike with a large ancient Grecian wine urn. *not* A Nalgene and a Gatoraide bottle for me. New Nalgene bottles do not have the biphenol leaching issue.

ChinMusic
02-13-2012, 15:41
I kind of like this idea.

http://jjmatheshikes.blogspot.com/2010/11/hands-free-water-bottle.html?m=0

That is how I carry my Gatorade bottle. I will have to try this.
Thanks.

dserum06
02-13-2012, 16:14
thanks everyone!

QiWiz
02-13-2012, 19:53
I use 2 Gatorade 20 oz bottles and 2 two liter platypus or Evernews.

Blissful
02-13-2012, 21:18
This "smartwater" bottle from Glaceau for a water bottle rocks. It's a liter, narrow, and plastic is not so cheap that it crunches up. I've used it for a long time. You can get it at Target.

http://glaceau.com/

Jim Adams
02-14-2012, 02:57

gatorade bottle is lighter but it is nice to have the wide mouth nalgene to get water from shallow sources... I carry one of each and fill the gatorade bottle with the nalgene.

Rocket Jones
02-14-2012, 10:04
gatorade bottle is lighter but it is nice to have the wide mouth nalgene to get water from shallow sources... I carry one of each and fill the gatorade bottle with the nalgene.

This is what I do too. I also carry a 2-liter platypus for the evening camp and extra capacity if needed.

PapaGarrettP
02-14-2012, 12:47
Didn't read all the postings -- probably repeating. I used to carry a camel bag and two nalgenes. Then I switched to Platypus (more expensive, but lots lighter and bigger). I scorned Gator bottles as kind of sketchy, but tried one on my last hike and I will never go back to nalgene. One advantage of a gator bottle is you can switch it out at every store for a new one -- full of Gatorade! Actually, I prefer Powerade -- less sugar.

Spokes
02-14-2012, 13:10
Platypus 2liter and a Gatorade bottle.

Another vote +.

Ditch the Nalegene, good for weekend warrior stuff or section hiking not thru hiking. Yeah, I know some like them... yada, yada, yada...

BTW a Powerade bottle is slightly smaller in diameter and fits a little easier in an outside pack pocket. Lasts the same too. A SmartWater bottle is even smaller and taller. Lots of choices.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2012, 13:50

I use my pot or cup for that. If you don't know that the spring looks like, best bring a dipping cup, especially in the summer as the water starts to dry up and run slower.

20 oz coke soda bottles for me, don't leave town with out a freash coke.

Tinker
02-14-2012, 14:48
http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/classic/klean-kanteen-40oz-classic.php

I sometimes use it to boil water, or as a hot water bottle in cold weather. The new wide mouth looks better.

When I anticipate long distances between water sources I carry a Gatorade quart bottle to supplement the Kleen Kanteen.

I have had leakage problems with water bladders and am probably going to discontinue using them.

JohnEbner
02-15-2012, 18:48
Depending on water availability I'll bring either a 3L or 2L platy and 1 or 2 water bottles similar to the Aquafina bottles. I have several nalgenes but rarely if ever carry one. My dog on the other hand will carry a couple if I don't have extra aquafina bottles available for her.

LDog
02-15-2012, 19:22
I'm using two 500ml gatorade-type, wide-mouth bottles which conveniently hand on the holders on my ULA Circuit I carry an empty 1 L Platy for when I need more, and a 500 ml Nalgene to keep me warm at night, make shakes, and to rehydrate stuff that needs rehydrating while I hike. I'd leave the nalgene behind if I don't think I need it to warm up my bag at night.

WILLIAM HAYES
02-15-2012, 22:38
gatoraid bottle and a widemouth nalgene BPA Free

keithclove
02-18-2012, 11:12
I use a Camelbak BPA-free bottle daily.

rusty bumper
02-18-2012, 18:14
One liter spots drink bottle and a 2 liter roll-up Platypus...rarely used the Platypus, but when water was tough to come by, I was really glad I had it along.