PDA

View Full Version : Going around the parks for no dogs

Sweetspot
02-12-2012, 16:34
If one didn't wan to send there dog off for the days around the parks. Shenandoah mainly. How would one walk around it to meet AT hiker on the other side?

Don H
02-12-2012, 17:20
Don't think there's a rule against dogs in SNP, only the Smoky's and Baxter.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2012, 17:56
dogs are allowed in SNP
if you hike with your dog off leash usually, this would be a good place to use one(a leash). you could get a ticket from a ranger, but im more concerned about all the road crossings! the trail and road cross each other often and alot of times you hit the road with little to no warning!

Sweetspot
02-12-2012, 18:53
Sorry see I'm not the one walking with the dog so I got mixed up. Is there a way around the Smokey's I think that is 100 miles. So can he road walk, rent a car wait for me in town etc What have other people done. I'm leaving my dog home. But my hiking partner is bringing his. thanks

Slo-go'en
02-12-2012, 18:56
The OP probably ment The Smokies, and if thats the case, there is no good way around by foot. If you don't want to kennel the pooch, you'll have to shuttle or hitch around the park.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2012, 19:15
Sorry see I'm not the one walking with the dog so I got mixed up. Is there a way around the Smokey's I think that is 100 miles. So can he road walk, rent a car wait for me in town etc What have other people done. I'm leaving my dog home. But my hiking partner is bringing his. thanks

is he from Georgia too, how about leaving the dog at home til you exit the park and have a relative drop off the dog at DAVENPORT GAP? and the dog can start the hike from there

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2012, 19:22
i was fortunate enough to have friends watch my dog in asheville a few times, the first time though i had a dog kennal from pigeon forge pick up my dog at fontana motel and kennal my dog til i reached davenport gap and could call to have my dog brought to me. my first 20+ mile day on my thruhike was on the backside of the park, wanted to get to mountain mommas and get my dog back as soon as i could, i was worried about my dog so much that i made great time. when they dropped off my dog, they said she was so laid back and behaved, they didn't even lock her up in the kennals. she sat up front in the office the whole time, during the day. when i went to pay she knocked 50.00 bucks off my bill. said it was a pleasure to have her :-)

Heald
02-12-2012, 20:27
Going around GSMNP on foot is a very tough bid. But if you really want to do it you can. The shortest legal route to walk around the park is about 105mls miles, from Fontana to Hot Springs. If your friend could hold off bringing their dog on trail until the GSMNP is behind them, that would save a potentially grueling road-walk. Take it from me I once road-walked from Fontana to Asheville (80mls), it sucked.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 20:30
From the Fontana Dam

N Carolina 28 S/Fontana Rd

1. Head east on N Carolina 28 S/Fontana Rd toward Appalachian Trail
Continue to follow N Carolina 28 S

21.1 mi
2. Turn left onto N Carolina 28 S/US-19 N/US-74 E
Continue to follow US-74 E

48.1 mi
3. Take the exit on the left onto I-40 W toward Knoxville
Entering Tennessee

31.8 mi

I-40 W

about a two hour drive - don't hike it.... suggest shuttle. 90 miles Shortest route suggested by computers - I Hope that's what you are talking about.

Wise Old Owl
02-12-2012, 20:41
Walking Directions to I-40 W 3D

Via US-19 N, Spring St/Veterans Blvd, US-19 N/Ela Rd, Blue Ridge Pkwy, Unknown road, US-19 N/Soco Rd, Soco Rd - remove all

N Carolina 28 S/Fontana Rd

1. Head east on N Carolina 28 S/Fontana Rd toward Appalachian Trail
Continue to follow N Carolina 28 S

21.1 mi
2. Turn left onto N Carolina 28 S/US-19 N/US-74 E
Continue to follow US-19 N/US-74 E

5.2 mi
3. Take the ramp to US-19 N/Alarka Rd

0.2 mi
4. Turn left onto US-19 N/Alarka Rd

0.2 mi
5. Take the 1st right onto US-19 N

3.2 mi
6. Turn left onto US-19/Main St
Continue to follow US-19

10.1 mi
7. Turn left onto US-441 N/Tsali Blvd
Continue to follow US-441 N

2.8 mi
8. Turn right onto Blue Ridge Pkwy

13.2 mi
9. Take the US-19 N ramp to Cheroken

0.3 mi
10. Turn left onto US-19 N/Soco Rd
Continue to follow US-19 N

8.4 mi
11. Turn left onto US-276 N/Jonathan Creek Rd

6.0 mi
12. Turn right toward I-40 W

89 ft
13. Turn left to merge onto I-40 W
Entering Tennessee

24.3 mi

I-40 W

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2012, 21:16
Going around GSMNP on foot is a very tough bid. But if you really want to do it you can. The shortest legal route to walk around the park is about 105mls miles, from Fontana to Hot Springs. If your friend could hold off bringing their dog on trail until the GSMNP is behind them, that would save a potentially grueling road-walk. Take it from me I once road-walked from Fontana to Asheville (80mls), it sucked.road walking sucks 10x more for the dog!

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2012, 21:26
some of the hikers think the dog has to do the whole trail too! start the dog after the smokies! too many dogs being pushed too hard, including the weenies that make the dogs carry too much! l

Rocket Jones
02-12-2012, 21:58
I don't hike with my dog, but it would seem to me that if your dog joins you after the Smokies, you should take a few easy days at first to ease the dog into the hiking routine. You've already been chugging along for a while, your dog hasn't.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2012, 22:11
I don't hike with my dog, but it would seem to me that if your dog joins you after the Smokies, you should take a few easy days at first to ease the dog into the hiking routine. You've already been chugging along for a while, your dog hasn't.good idea! HYDH

Sweetspot
02-12-2012, 22:22
Thanks all great suggestions. Hiking partner is not from Georgia but could easily leave dog at my house and have it brought up after the Smokies. But I don't think he will do that so what I'm going to suggest to him is he shuttle around to the north end and wait for me to hike tru. What do you think is that possible?

Sweetspot
02-12-2012, 22:26
Plus I don't hike very fast. So dog should be fine. Personally I think it will be a pain in the . I had planned to go by myself with 1,000 of my closest friends. But when friend wanted to come I said sure. Who knows maybe I will just see him on day one and then no worries. You know what they say. Hike your own hike. IT will be interesting thank you all.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2012, 09:50
Yea but did I answer the question?

Sweetspot
02-14-2012, 11:02
Yea but did I answer the question?
Yes it was what I wanted to know. Thank You for taking the time I'm thinking he and the dog can shuttle to Davenport meet me and we will continue on.
You are a Wise Old Owl.

WillyStyle
02-14-2012, 11:12
I am planning to bring my dog. I keep thinking about having him join me after SMNP.
Pros: I can fly down to Georgia (from VT saves money over paying for someone to drive us); I don't leave him alone through the SMNP (he doesn't want me to leave him alone - part of why I am bringing him).
Cons: I'll have 200+ miles covered and he'll have spent two weeks on the couch.

Question:
If I can have a relative bring my dog down at Davenport Gap, like Crumbsnatcher suggests, will the hiking North of the GSMNP be good enough to make it worth their while (especially when they will have just missed the park)?

WillyStyle
02-14-2012, 11:16
The assumption in my previous post is that my relative will hike with me for a few days. I would go slower for her and also for my dog to ease him into it.

CrumbSnatcher
02-14-2012, 12:54
IMO the smokies are great, but it is nice after the park too. less regulations and the hiking after the park is amazing too. theres a big steady climb out of davenport gap but not to bad. 2-3 days to hot springs be a good ending spot for your relative. smoky mtn. diner and maybe a dip in the hot springs

CrumbSnatcher
02-14-2012, 12:58
i flew my dog a couple times, i would never fly a dog again.
dogs can die on flights and do quite often, the airlines say they can live with the pct%, with as many as they transport

Heald
02-14-2012, 18:45
6.0 mi
12. Turn right toward I-40 W

89 ft
13. Turn left to merge onto I-40 W
Entering Tennessee

24.3 mi

I-40 W

I'm curious if pedestrian traffic is Allowed on Interstate 40? How would one negotiate the tunnel? From recollection it was extremely narrow.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2012, 21:38
Well good catch - the software didn't pick it up.... cus I didn't ask it to. However,"If" there isn't a service walkway it doesn't matter He can cross the road at the entrance to the tunnel and walk in the direction of the creek and access the service gravel road that goes around the mountain - it won't add anything to the overall distance.

Its very clear on Satellite imagery.

The worst part is that walking along any interstate will gain attention from passing cops.

WillyStyle
02-15-2012, 09:45
Thanks for the info Crumbsnatcher. I read what you said about dogs on planes before and I don't want to experience that.
I am going to see if my relative can manage bringing my dog to Davenport Gap.

CrumbSnatcher
02-15-2012, 09:56
you are welcome :-)

curtisvowen
02-15-2012, 10:55
Well good catch - the software didn't pick it up.... cus I didn't ask it to. However,"If" there isn't a service walkway it doesn't matter He can cross the road at the entrance to the tunnel and walk in the direction of the creek and access the service gravel road that goes around the mountain - it won't add anything to the overall distance.

Its very clear on Satellite imagery.

The worst part is that walking along any interstate will gain attention from passing cops.

Very bad advise unless the OP wants to die.
Just start hiking down I-40....you'll get a free ride from a State Trooper.

CrumbSnatcher
02-17-2012, 19:23
Thanks for the info Crumbsnatcher. I read what you said about dogs on planes before and I don't want to experience that.
I am going to see if my relative can manage bringing my dog to Davenport Gap.read today that 35 animals died on domestic flights last year 19 on delta alone:eek: don't fly delta, they had 11 in 2010

CrumbSnatcher
02-17-2012, 19:28
after reading closer, some owners might be to blame also, maybe not always the airliners fault? why risk it! i drove out to the trail many times, first time sold the truck,every other time drove an old beater out east and had a car after the hike was over. beats hitching back to nebraska like in 1999 :-)

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2012, 20:56
Very bad advise unless the OP wants to die.
Just start hiking down I-40....you'll get a free ride from a State Trooper.

Not likely - and I mentioned that could happen....

Code 0400-2-2-.04. BEGGING AND SOLICITING. (state rules)

(1) Begging is prohibited.

(2) Hitchhiking or the soliciting of transportation is prohibited.

Commercial soliciting of any kind without a permit is prohibited: provided, that this section shall not apply to transactions with authorized concessioners.

Not begging or hitchhiking? Hmmm grey area.....

If you are hiking an interstate there are risks in everything. You might get picked up, and deposited where you do not want to be.
You might get arrested.
You might get killed...

I think therefore I am.... The original post asked a valid well thought question – therefore I answered – unfortunately you did not do the same... newbie.

You have a right here on WB not to read my posts, as do I read yours – I suggest you block my posts. I feel I have a lot to offer here and I enjoy many diverse comments and I am willing to give and receive lots of different ideas. I try not to judge, or try to read between the lines for many posts... and I suspect there are only four members that are blocked on my part....

Most here are from all walks of life... many here are wiser than me... I know the population are from College, High School, and have real experience that they can be excited about and share.... we are all here to learn or have fun. Many here are professional folk with shingles on the wall, they have a wealth of information. I am not a lawyer.

My avatar and trail name is more about my personal love with raptors – hawks, eagles, and owls... do not confuse this with over the top insidious know it all mean people. I hope you all can see the difference.

Before many posts I fact check as much as I can with the resources I have available, to say other wise – would be rude. I appreciate my fiends and I enjoy when I mess up or make a mistake and they are here to have my back.

Now that you know a little more about me, I hope you and I can move forward towards be helpful here at WB.

And Curtis you still have my upmost respect....

ScottP
02-26-2012, 14:47
Avoid long road walks with a dog if at all possible.

Heald (dogs) and Curtis (the smokies) are probably the experts on this topic.

I believe that there are services that will board dogs while you cross the smokies. That's probably your friend's best bet. It's not a long section.

rocketsocks
02-26-2012, 15:12
Not likely - and I mentioned that could happen....

Code 0400-2-2-.04. BEGGING AND SOLICITING. (state rules)

(1) Begging is prohibited.

(2) Hitchhiking or the soliciting of transportation is prohibited.
Commercial soliciting of any kind without a permit is prohibited: provided, that this section shall not apply to transactions with authorized concessioners.
Not begging or hitchhiking? Hmmm grey area.....

If you are hiking an interstate there are risks in everything. You might get picked up, and deposited where you do not want to be.
You might get arrested.
You might get killed...

I think therefore I am.... The original post asked a valid well thought question – therefore I answered – unfortunately you did not do the same... newbie.

You have a right here on WB not to read my posts, as do I read yours – I suggest you block my posts. I feel I have a lot to offer here and I enjoy many diverse comments and I am willing to give and receive lots of different ideas. I try not to judge, or try to read between the lines for many posts... and I suspect there are only four members that are blocked on my part....

Most here are from all walks of life... many here are wiser than me... I know the population are from College, High School, and have real experience that they can be excited about and share.... we are all here to learn or have fun. Many here are professional folk with shingles on the wall, they have a wealth of information. I am not a lawyer.

My avatar and trail name is more about my personal love with raptors – hawks, eagles, and owls... do not confuse this with over the top insidious know it all mean people. I hope you all can see the difference.

Before many posts I fact check as much as I can with the resources I have available, to say other wise – would be rude. I appreciate my fiends and I enjoy when I mess up or make a mistake and they are here to have my back.

Now that you know a little more about me, I hope you and I can move forward towards be helpful here at WB.

And Curtis you still have my utmost respect.... At the risk of sounding "Mushie"I dig and always look forward to your posts.My first smart assy response to the OP would have probably gone somthing like this,"Left,right,right,Left ...there's your friend( for all you wanting to travel the NB western route and Right,left left,right thier's your friend for all you NB eastern traveling folks.....but that's just me having a bad day,I like your response better:)