PDA

View Full Version : Haven's BUDGET INN of Franklin,NC

tiamalle
03-20-2005, 01:41
:banana We give free shuttles to/from Franklin to Rock,Wallace and Winding Stair Gaps on our motel shuttle bus From March til May.We always have great rates
for hiker year around.For a warm experience to A T hikers please ad us in your
plans.We always love to see the hiker season coming.(828)524-4403
:welcome

Slimer
03-20-2005, 05:41
I had the pleasure of staying at the Haven Motel last year and I could'nt have asked for anything better. Ron drove me wherever I needed to go and made sure that everything was taken care of. Thanks Ron!

Lone Wolf
03-20-2005, 07:41
Where exactly in Franklin is the BUDGET INN? And what are your rates for a single since I never share rooms.

Jack Tarlin
03-20-2005, 11:52
The Haven is at the other end of the town from the K-Mart plaza; it's closer to the Post Office.

I ran into Mr. Haven last week in Franklin when I was keeping Janet company on a shuttle, and he was wonderful. He's fixed up a small school bus expressly to do shuttles (around town, to the Trailhead, etc.) and seemed very enthusiastic about the upcoming hiker season.

I have seldom gone into Franklin in the past, but with Rainbow Springs Campground being closed, I think most hikers will be going there this year. I expect to be one of them, and I look forward to staying at the Haven.

(Wolf: I'm not entirely sure, but I think singles are $38.50 give or take a buck, but you might want to call and confirm this).

Lone Wolf
03-20-2005, 12:04
Well I've been staying at the Franklin Motel for 18 years but may try the Haven.

orangebug
03-20-2005, 12:06
Franklin is a great trail town, and is only likely to become more friendly. I don't know this motel personally, but I've enjoyed the Franklin Motel and neighboring diners and shops. Three Eagles is a good outfitter. The BBQ is fabulous at Fat Buddy's (get the ribs). I think the ABC store is near the post office.

Just be careful driving around there. I think speeders have been a prime fund raiser for the town.

smokymtnsteve
03-20-2005, 12:15
you are certainly correct about the enforcement of traffic laws in that section of NC, the entire route of 441 between the GA line and cherokee NC is heavily patroled, an out of state tag is prime,

"if it's tourist season, why can't we hunt them"

the NC state troopers do.

Rain Man
03-20-2005, 17:24
Grass stayed at Haven's almost exactly a year ago and raved about the service.

Rain:sunMan

tiamalle
03-27-2005, 20:22
:welcome All my friends and thanks for the great recommendations.Thanks to all of you who visit Franklin,NC Ron Haven (trail Rascal)

tiamalle
03-27-2005, 20:54
Where exactly in Franklin is the BUDGET INN? And what are your rates for a single since I never share rooms. We are located on
433 E. Palmer Street Which is really old 64.We are 1/4 block to downtown,and
yes werw 1/2 block to the post office.For Hikers we have $35. year around for
King bed or two doubles.This rate is for 2 guest and $5 ea for ea. additional.:welcome

tiamalle
03-27-2005, 20:59
Well I've been staying at the Franklin Motel for 18 years but may try the Haven. Wolf we are 1 and 1/2 block east of Franklin Motel
Give us a try and I'll work hard to see your happy,Ron Haven:clap

tiamalle
03-27-2005, 21:00

. thanks GRASS,

tiamalle
03-27-2005, 21:06
I had the pleasure of staying at the Haven Motel last year and I could'nt have asked for anything better. Ron drove me wherever I needed to go and made sure that everything was taken care of. Thanks Ron!Slimer the pleasure is mine.Your are welcome and I thank you for the chance to serve you,Ron

tiamalle
03-27-2005, 21:14

.Thanks Rain Man.Also we publish the Franklin Hiker tour guide of all
reatuarants,grocery stores,outfitters,hiker friendly places and a list of all the places hikers need to stop.If anyone needs one send me a stamped and an
addressed envelope and I will be glad to send them one free.Ron:)

digger51
03-27-2005, 21:52
I stayed at the Haven Motel last year for several days. Great people and he will do most anything to help hikers. I plan on stopping in again this year.

Mountain Dew
03-28-2005, 02:59
The guy that owns the Haven Motel use to be a professional wrestler for what it's worth. Interesting character that seems to really like hikers. He told me that he had hiked quit a bite in the past as well.

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-28-2005, 12:34
Yes the Haven is a nice place. In 2002, I stayed at the MicroTel, but this place is much more friendly. My son, Captain Chaos was there on Easter, so I drove down to see him. Good Buffet Food Place close by, near the post office and a free shuttle to and from the Trail. Looks like the place of choice from here on out. Give it a try. Ron, good luck on your thru hike next year if you decide to try it.

Footslogger
03-28-2005, 12:51
I stayed at the Microtel myself in 2003 ...but here is an excerpt from a 2005 hikers journal written just the other day.
==============================================
..."The short bus was a shuttle into Franklin, so I stuck my thumbs back in my pocket and got on the bus. That's right, I ride the short bus. It was run by Ron Haven, one of the motel owners in town and one of the friendliest people I've met so far. We went down into Franklin and checked into the Haven Budget Inn. I got a shower and headed off to the laundry. Ron happened to pass me on the street in his car and circled back around and gave me a lift. Saved me a mile or two. Did some laundry and spent the rest of the afternoon on the short bus as it shuttled the six or so hikers to various spots. Grocery store, Wal-Mart, and the Outfitters."
==============================================

If I hike through that area again I will definitely take advantage of this service !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

yogi clyde
03-28-2005, 13:49
I stayed there last year. The place is fine, and Ronnie is a character.
It is on the other side of town from the rib joint and the outfitter.

Nearby is a grocery store, and close to the grocery store is a down home place for breakfast that is not to be missed. Inexpensive and good.

tiamalle
03-30-2005, 01:10
Yes the Haven is a nice place. In 2002, I stayed at the MicroTel, but this place is much more friendly. My son, Captain Chaos was there on Easter, so I drove down to see him. Good Buffet Food Place close by, near the post office and a free shuttle to and from the Trail. Looks like the place of choice from here on out. Give it a try. Ron, good luck on your thru hike next year if you decide to try it. Thanks very much,all of you are always:welcome here at Haven's BUDGET INN. PS thanks for your patronage to
Franklin,NC Ron Haven

Flash Hand
03-30-2005, 19:16
Was there last year during my first attempt thru hike. I will thru hike and already made plan to stop Franklin, NC just because I really enjoyed the service and quality of Haven Motel. I felt so great relaxing there. I happened to be in McDonalds, across from Eagle Outfitter store, and Ron was there, and came to me and ask if I wanted a ride back to motel, I told Ron that I am going to Outfitter. He is great with hikers. I hope all hikers will treat him great also.

I sense that Haven Motel is going to become one of Trail Legend someday.

Flash Hand :jump

tiamalle
03-30-2005, 22:50
Was there last year during my first attempt thru hike. I will thru hike and already made plan to stop Franklin, NC just because I really enjoyed the service and quality of Haven Motel. I felt so great relaxing there. I happened to be in McDonalds, across from Eagle Outfitter store, and Ron was there, and came to me and ask if I wanted a ride back to motel, I told Ron that I am going to Outfitter. He is great with hikers. I hope all hikers will treat him great also.

I sense that Haven Motel is going to become one of Trail Legend someday.

Flash Hand :jumpThanks Flash Hand,If I can ever help you again please let me know,Ron Haven

tiamalle
10-19-2005, 21:09
Leaves are pretty from Hiawassee to New Found Gap right now.How are the colors in Va,W.Va? Are they at their peek

Frosty
10-19-2005, 22:31
Leaves are pretty from Hiawassee to New Found Gap right now.How are the colors in Va,W.Va? Are they at their peekIs there a purpose to this post besides bumping a thread you started which happens to have the name of your motel in the thread title? Advertising is great, but if you want to advertise on Whiteblaze, why not send some money to ATTROLL and sponsor the site for a month?

Nearly Normal
10-20-2005, 02:48
I stayed there last April.
After a hike on the Foothills Trail I went to Franklin to help with a club working trail magic on Wayah. When Ron found out he made me a great deal. His shuttles are constantly working and he goes out of his way to help hikers.
Pete

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2005, 14:45
Hey, Frosty, nothing personal, but you need to lighten up. Ron Haven's probably done more for hikers (many of whom were NOT patrons of his motels) in the past year than you've done in your entire life. And lots of folks with businessess or services make announcements here on Whiteblaze.....motel and hostel owners; shuttlers; gear makers; authors; jewelry or T-shirt designers; and so on. Ron's not doing anything that lots of other folks haven't done; he's merely spreading the word about a good service for hikers.

Frosty
10-20-2005, 16:20
Hey, Frosty, nothing personal, but you need to lighten up.I blame it on poor role models and a life of dissipation. I'm sure kharma will eventually even the score. It always does.

Frosty
10-20-2005, 21:18
tiamalle
Registered User Join Date: 03-19-2005

ads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frosty,I think most of the hiking in our area is about over for this year,But if attroll needs
some money I don't mind to help him.I help lots of other trail promotions.If you think I'm doing it cause I need to rent a room,I'm not.
When hikers come through I do for them to
help them and lots of times it cost me money
out of my own pocket.I donate lots of my time for their enjoyment.I put this because most of the friends I've meet know me from
passing the motel or by my name.This shows
my screen name.I try hard to be a friend to all hikers because I love to Hike myself in my
spare time.But really it don't matter how I put something on this website there are
one of you jackasses ready to act stupid
with those little remarks in which you think
makes you look cute.There are about 10 of you idiots who run this website trying to see who can act the stupidest.
So far It's a toss up for 1st place between
you and L Wuffie .If I've done something
wrong maybe you can forgive me or go hell
which ever you choose.Although I tried to
explain why I have begin to see you 10 or
so which run this show are 1st class idiots
But I have a question are you guys jelious of me or on drugs,acholics or what
is the problem with you idiots. ?Maybe
I'll call attrol and ask if he wants me to pay him and if he says yes then we can discuss it.This is a great website that lots of people could enjoy if wasn't for idiots
like you waiting to make stupid remarks.
If I have something to say like this I,m man enough to send it privatly to you not
try to make the website look bad.The way you presented this is you are the only one with brains.You are a dumb ass like the other 9.I'm putting together a great
hikers website for hikers also that will be up and running by the spring that will have
an advertisement section,place to keep journals,chat rooms and much more.Think
I'll be asking for money?no. I know when you read this your ass'll melt like chocolate
so don't act stupid by sending me e-mail
through white blaze.E-mail me direct at
[email protected] I know you sure
enough will have to act stupid.PS if it gets
too bad for your dumb ass,I'll send you a private phone number.Anything to cool you down because D As like you can't handle a true message like this,sorry

Lone Wolf
10-20-2005, 21:21
L. Wuffie. That's a good one cupcake. :D

smokymtnsteve
10-20-2005, 21:26
I'm so jealous woofie :p

Sly
10-20-2005, 21:36
I wonder who the other 8 idiots are? LOL...

Lone Wolf
10-20-2005, 21:41
Yo Frosty! Are ya a choclaty mess yet? :D

smokymtnsteve
10-20-2005, 21:45
Yo Frosty! Are ya a choclaty mess yet? :D

wuz he a flirting with Frosty in that letter :-?

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2005, 22:01
Frosty:

Whatever you might have thought of Mr. Haven's letter, you should know that in most circles, "Private" correspondence is considered just that, i.e. it's private.

Publicly posting a private letter isn't merely a breach of Internet etiquette.

It's simply rude.

tiamalle
10-20-2005, 22:17
Jack,
Rude and disrespectful is what these people are all about.They don't see the many times
I send e-mails to fellow hikers up the trail trying to praise their progress.Telling them many times if I can do anything for them on up the trail to call me.I guess this isn't important.For over 3 weeks Budget has been full.I'm not trying to rent a room.Possibly
these folks have encountered something bad in the past with a motel owner,who knows

Alligator
10-20-2005, 22:17
Jack's got a point there Frosty, but I can see the temptation. Last time I heard something like that I knew it was time to call the guard. Maybe you should change your name to Chocolate Frosting:jump .

Am I breaking the single digits?

The Old Fhart
10-20-2005, 22:46
Alligator-"Maybe you should change your name to Chocolate Frosting"Now that's funny! :D

tiamalle
10-21-2005, 00:32
I wonder who the other 8 idiots are? LOL...Sly:don't worry
give them a few minutes to think up something stupid and they'll all testify all by
theirselves.See what I mean! Last week a hiker called me and ask if I would come to Newfound Gap to pick him up and just as I started into the Smokies From Cherokee I saw 2 hikers with their thumb out and they were going across the mtn.When I stopped at the top my friend wasn't there so I drove them down
to a side trail head.As we drove down we talked about how pretty the leaves were.I said in April we are having a HIKER fool fest in Franklin 2006 and if you look on a few websites for exact dates including Whiteblaze.He responded"I've
hiked the A T from Ga to Me several times and I talk to people who get on whiteblaze but not me".I replied why,I think it's a great hikers website.He said
very nicely " there is 8 or 10 people who are ruining this website".when he got out I wished him a good hike.Maybe him and me are both wrong but to me this
childish behavior is uncalled for.I love the fall follage,hope the mtns. at Black Mtn is beautiful this week.Take Care

Nearly Normal
10-21-2005, 01:33
Mr. Haven,
Of the many folks I've talked to about you and your service you get nothing but praise.
I've seen it first hand. I remember the snow in April when you put yourself at risk taking hikers off Rock Gap.
Don't worry about the few that trouble you. You not only talk the talk, you walk the walk.
Pete

tiamalle
10-21-2005, 02:12
Mr. Haven,
Of the many folks I've talked to about you and your service you get nothing but praise.
I've seen it first hand. I remember the snow in April when you put yourself at risk taking hikers off Rock Gap.
Don't worry about the few that trouble you. You not only talk the talk, you walk the walk.
PetePete;It's ones like you I do it for friend and I won't stop because some loser acts stupid.I meet thousands of new friends a year in my businesses
and see millions of smiles.This makes it all worth while,and always will.:sun :clap

orangebug
10-21-2005, 11:00
Frosty:

Whatever you might have thought of Mr. Haven's letter, you should know that in most circles, "Private" correspondence is considered just that, i.e. it's private.

It's simply rude.This needs repeating. Frosty showed poor judgement and no class.

I've met Ron and have stayed with him. He has shown a heck of a lot of class. I'm sorry that he takes some of us personally, particularly Wuffie. Internet communications frequently fail to show the wry wit behind some of the things we write. I know this to be the case for L Wolf, and bet that Ron and he have a bunch in common.

Twinkletoes
10-21-2005, 12:10
I section hiked from Springer to Daleville, VA in '04.

Ron picked me up on his bus and transported me to his motel.

The motel is clean is clean and convenient to other amenities and the price
is right.

Ron could not have been nicer and is a great story teller.

The next day Ron drove me back to the AT.

I recommend this motel without reservations.

Alligator
10-21-2005, 12:19
I got this in the ole email box today. I'm hoping it wasn't from any WBers.

Dear Sirs,

Does your bank system need armored cash-transport car to carry money from bank to bank? Does the security system need armored vest to protect their life?

We are the leading manufacture of armored car and armored vest company in China,we will supply good quality products , competitive price and service for our products. If you have interested for our bulletproof products and hope to get more information, kindly please do not hesitate to inform us,

We look forward to receiving your inquiries soon , and remain.

Yours faithfully

Mr.Radar

http://www.bulletproof.com.cn

E-mail:[email protected]

tiamalle
10-21-2005, 23:29
Hiker Fool Bash 2006,I'm sending pre invitations for our April 1st weekend hiker party
from Fri. Mar.31st to Mon.Apr 3rd.All hikers, friends of hikers,family of hikers,gear sales persons and other vendors are all included.There will be free shuttles from Franklin to
Windingstair Gap twice or three times daily.We will have it at Sapphire Inn.It may be
Smoky Mtn.Lodge by then because we are changing the name.We have lots more room there.You don't have to be our motel guest to attend.This is for everyone.We even have room for tents.Local in town evening shuttles.I will be sending out more ads for this by Jan 2006.This is something started last year and had a great turnout.I hope it's
Ok to list this.If you have an intrest our website is sapphireinn.net If you are a vendor
who would like to participate please contact us at 828-524-4406

Nightwalker
10-22-2005, 00:01
Is there a purpose to this post besides bumping a thread you started which happens to have the name of your motel in the thread title? Advertising is great, but if you want to advertise on Whiteblaze, why not send some money to ATTROLL and sponsor the site for a month?
I never knew you were quite such a jerk. Wow. The letter thing too.

Internet hikers. Sheesh.

Frosty
10-22-2005, 00:01
Frosty:

It's simply rude.Well, actually, when you send a letter to someone, they own it and can do with it what they wish. I saw the letter itself as rather rude and wished to stop this person from further attacks. The best way to stop was to bring everything out into the open.

Had there been any private or personal information I would have thought about it, but the letter was merely a juvenile bit of name-calling.

Jack,
Rude and disrespectful is what these people are all about.Yes, well, your letter to me could be consdiered rude and disrespectful itself.

This needs repeating. Frosty showed poor judgement and no class.

I've met Ron and have stayed with him. He has shown a heck of a lot of class. Lots of class:

tiamalle

ads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frosty,I think most of the hiking in our area is about over for this year,But if attroll needs
some money I don't mind to help him.I help lots of other trail promotions.If you think I'm doing it cause I need to rent a room,I'm not.
out of my own pocket.I donate lots of my time for their enjoyment.I put this because most of the friends I've meet know me from
my screen name.I try hard to be a friend to all hikers because I love to Hike myself in my
spare time.But really it don't matter how I put something on this website there are
makes you look cute.There are about 10 of you idiots who run this website trying to see who can act the stupidest.
I'll call attrol and ask if he wants me to pay him and if he says yes then we can discuss it.This is a great website that lots of people could enjoy if wasn't for idiots
If I have something to say like this I,m man enough to send it privatly to you not
try to make the website look bad.The way you presented this is you are the only one with brains.You are a dumb ass like the other 9.I'm putting together a great
hikers website for hikers also that will be up and running by the spring that will have
I'll be asking for money?no. I know when you read this your ass'll melt like chocolate
too bad for your dumb ass,I'll send you a private phone number.Anything to cool you down because D As like you can't handle a true message like this,sorry

Nightwalker
10-22-2005, 00:02
I'm sure kharma will eventually even the score. It always does.
You should hope not...

smokymtnsteve
10-22-2005, 00:25
your right Frosty,,, that is now your letter since it was sent to you ,,,so what U do with it is your business,

folks shouldn't write and send letters to folks that they would be ashamed of later....but isn't that what karma is all about.

Karma wins again :cool:

Sly
10-22-2005, 00:32
I'd still like to know who the other 8 "idiots" are?

Nightwalker
10-22-2005, 01:35
I'd still like to know who the other 8 "idiots" are?
You'll have to try a lot harder to be one of 'em...

:D

Lone Wolf
10-22-2005, 09:38
I'm an idiot. :dance

SGT Rock
10-22-2005, 09:54
Just for reference,

In netiquette it is considered bad etiquette to post on a public forum a personal e-mail or message without prior approval from the sender. Why? Well in this case the sender actually had the option to post that exact same message to the board but felt that the message was to a personal individual. It is a good idea if you have a gripe with someone to take it off forum through e-mail or PM so the rest of the forum doesn't have to get involved in what is basically a person to person pissing contest. I've been flamed hard a few times in PM, but I would rather that be the case than on the forum. It keeps the sender from looking like a total jackass and allows the receiver to respond equally as vehemently if they so desire without everyone else on the board feeling forced into taking sides.

I'm not saying debate is a bad thing and sometimes debate can get heated. But when one party takes the step to take it off the forum, why not keep it off forum. I'm sure if I am one of the 10 idiots, I'll eventually get a personal message too :D

Lone Wolf
10-22-2005, 10:04
Wuffie hurts :confused: my soul.

Rain Man
10-22-2005, 11:22
your right Frosty,,, that is now your letter since it was sent to you ,,,so what U do with it is your business....

Well actually, if he sends it all to all of us, then it becomes our business too.

A sent letter does belong to the recipient. Thus, for better or worse, Frosty was in the position of doing something classy with the private missive, or not.

Hopefully he has some good-karma credit to burn, 'cause he just burned a lot, IMHO.

Rain Man

Alligator
10-22-2005, 14:42
I don't know about burning, but with all this heat, I bet his nuts are starting to fall out of his chocolate.

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2005, 15:42
Gee, Frosty, you saw Ron's letter as rude?

Well, what about YOUR original post, where you essentially told Mr. Haven you thought he was coming here only to advertise his business and that he should be paying for his posts if he was going to use them to mention his motel.

You don't think THIS was rude?

It's been pointed out to you that all sorts of folks have used Whiteblaze to offer goods and services: Motel and hostel owners; shuttle providers; home-made gear manufacturers; people who make T-Shirts, jewelry, stickers, you name it. All sorts of folks advertise here. People even offer their knowledge and expertise on the Trail and try to sell their knowledge to hikers in the form of seminars and workshops; I can think of one very well-known hiker who you seem to admire, Frosty, who has offerred this service for sale several times here on Whiteblaze, and you didn't seem to think this was unseemly.

Fact is, people offer goods and services here all the time, but you took it upon yourself to be snotty to Mr. Haven, despite the fact that he repeatedly offers services and kindnesses to folks who aren't even his customers. What did YOU do for the hiking community this past year, Frosty? Why don't you tell us all about it.

In short, Frosty, it was YOU who was rude, and not Mr. Haven. So he wrote you privately, not wanting to share this nasty dispute with the rest of us. You thought it'd be cute to post his letter here, hoping it'd embarass Mr. Haven.

Whoops.

There's only one person who looks bad here, Frosty, and it isn't Ron Haven.

You started this with your mean-spirited post to Ron, and now it's backfired.
Private correspondence is just that.....it's private. The people who described your behavior as classless are exactly right.

You say that the best way to stop this sort of thing is to bring it out in the open. Wrong. The best way to stop things like this is to not start them in the first place, like you did, with your unkind, unwarranted, and unwelcome comment to Mr. Haven several days ago.

The best way to stop disputes like this, Frosty, is to not start them.

tiamalle
10-22-2005, 16:28
Well, actually, when you send a letter to someone, they own it and can do with it what they wish. I saw the letter itself as rather rude and wished to stop this person from further attacks. The best way to stop was to bring everything out into the open.

Had there been any private or personal information I would have thought about it, but the letter was merely a juvenile bit of name-calling.

Yes, well, your letter to me could be consdiered rude and disrespectful itself.

Lots of class:

tiamalle

ads

too bad for your dumb ass,I'll send you a private phone number.Anything to cool you down because D As like you can't handle a true message like this,sorrythere is amillion ways to look at it.
I sent this private out of respect for all the nice people on whiteblaze.You
posting it was proof you were everything I said and then some.Everyone is
different and this was your way of cooling down.I knew you would have to someway.Why I sent you that is not important to most.But for your info why.
I checked with attroll in the past and he ok'd an ad w/whiteblaze.But as much
as I try to do to help hikers from getting ripped off in my area from others who see them as sitting ducks.You did nothing more or less than spit in my face by accusing me of free loading on this website.If I have and I don't see it but I'll make it right with attroll or whom ever else is concerned.Maybe you
don't know me but I don't have to stoop low enough to rip off whiteblaze,the
hikers or nobody else.I never have and I never will.

orangebug
10-22-2005, 21:10
there is amillion ways to look at it.
posting it was proof you were everything I said and then some....I suggest you take a page from the Warren Doyle thread, and simply ignore the mosquitos. You don't need to justify anything you have done, nor defend them.

tiamalle
10-22-2005, 21:57
I suggest you take a page from the Warren Doyle thread, and simply ignore the mosquitos. You don't need to justify anything you have done, nor defend them. Orangebug thanks,Try to attend this hiker bash we're having in Apr 1st weekend along with friends.I'll be sending out more adv in Jan 2006,Hey pass the word:welcome also vendor of intrest call us

tiamalle
10-22-2005, 22:36
Just for reference,

In netiquette it is considered bad etiquette to post on a public forum a personal e-mail or message without prior approval from the sender. Why? Well in this case the sender actually had the option to post that exact same message to the board but felt that the message was to a personal individual. It is a good idea if you have a gripe with someone to take it off forum through e-mail or PM so the rest of the forum doesn't have to get involved in what is basically a person to person pissing contest. I've been flamed hard a few times in PM, but I would rather that be the case than on the forum. It keeps the sender from looking like a total jackass and allows the receiver to respond equally as vehemently if they so desire without everyone else on the board feeling forced into taking sides.

I'm not saying debate is a bad thing and sometimes debate can get heated. But when one party takes the step to take it off the forum, why not keep it off forum. I'm sure if I am one of the 10 idiots, I'll eventually get a personal message too :DSarge You are not.But if had something to say I would and hope with due respect to the other would do the same to me.

digger51
10-22-2005, 23:05
Ron - be sure to save me a room for the bash. I never miss a chance to spend time at the Haven Motel. You and the Mrs have been great hosts every time I visited Franklin.

tiamalle
10-22-2005, 23:29
Ron - be sure to save me a room for the bash. I never miss a chance to spend time at the Haven Motel. You and the Mrs have been great hosts every time I visited Franklin.you got it. I need to make an official announcement this week.Digger call me when you can.look at our new website for sapphire.we have lot's more space there for the bash. sapphireinn.net

Nightwalker
10-23-2005, 00:27
there is amillion ways to look at it.
posting it was proof you were everything I said and then some.Everyone is
different and this was your way of cooling down.I knew you would have to someway.Why I sent you that is not important to most.But for your info why.
I checked with attroll in the past and he ok'd an ad w/whiteblaze.But as much
as I try to do to help hikers from getting ripped off in my area from others who see them as sitting ducks.You did nothing more or less than spit in my face by accusing me of free loading on this website.If I have and I don't see it but I'll make it right with attroll or whom ever else is concerned.Maybe you
don't know me but I don't have to stoop low enough to rip off whiteblaze,the
hikers or nobody else.I never have and I never will.
Well, what's came out of it for me, as kind of an anti-jerk protest, is I'll be staying at Haven's next time through Hiawassee instead of next to the DQ, which I liked pretty darned good as well (Hiawassee Inn?)

Yeah, that Karma thing is pretty funny.

:D

Midway Sam
10-24-2005, 10:55
If Ron Haven's intent in all this was to promote his business then I've got some land atop Springer Mountain that I'm looking to sell...

I had the pleasure of riding 28 miles in Ron's van from NOC to Wayah Bald this past Saturday. We had contacted Ron about providing a shuttle for us. According to the lady working the info desk at NOC, the current going rate for the shuttle we wanted was $75, but Ron did it for $60 AND he drove over from Franklin to do it!

He kept us entertained with story after story and we were actually a little disappointed to have to part company so soon. If ever in that area again, Ron will get to see my smiling face again because I will certainly look him up...

Sam

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-24-2005, 11:02
Just a note re: Franklin - was there over the weekend and couldn't find any room in any Inn. This was a blessing as I got some great pics of sunrise on Albert Mtn. where we camped just off FS 83 and the AT.

tiamalle
10-24-2005, 18:32
Just a note re: Franklin - was there over the weekend and couldn't find any room in any Inn. This was a blessing as I got some great pics of sunrise on Albert Mtn. where we camped just off FS 83 and the AT.Dino if your coming back and I can help you.I've also got a list
of numbers of friends that I can call if you can call me the day before and some
with cabins and if you a hiker I'll try to help you get a better rate.If your coming call me and leave a message 828-524-4403.Right now its hard to get a room.I've
been full every night for quite sometime.

SGT Rock
10-24-2005, 18:40
Sarge You are not.But if had something to say I would and hope with due respect to the other would do the same to me.
I didn't figure I was, but I was just trying to be funny.

As for posting about hiker services and such here. We've always allowed for that as you have said - and ATTroll confirmed for you. And you seem to have even checked before hand. :welcome

In case you guys out there are wondering, we don't like spam, but a trail service provider letting everyone know about what is going on and what they offer wouldn't normally be considered spam, at least not by us. And providing the service of a two way forum where these service providers can come and interact with us hikers can help them better with meeting our piddly needs and help us understand the hardships they also go through in being a service provider. :cool:

Nuff said.

tiamalle
10-24-2005, 19:18
I didn't figure I was, but I was just trying to be funny.

As for posting about hiker services and such here. We've always allowed for that as you have said - and ATTroll confirmed for you. And you seem to have even checked before hand. :welcome

In case you guys out there are wondering, we don't like spam, but a trail service provider letting everyone know about what is going on and what they offer wouldn't normally be considered spam, at least not by us. And providing the service of a two way forum where these service providers can come and interact with us hikers can help them better with meeting our piddly needs and help us understand the hardships they also go through in being a service provider. :cool:

Nuff said.Great,Thanks

Andrew B
10-25-2005, 14:18
On 10/23 and 10/24/2005 we stayed with Ronnie Haven at Budget Inn, Franklin. They were most helpful and provided shuttles to Wayah Gap and Rock Gap. In the area between Wayah Bald shelter and Winding Stair Gap I lost a 35 MM Pintax camera. If anyone finds it I would sure appreciate a call at 662 842-9200. Thanks Andrew

:banana We give free shuttles to/from Franklin to Rock,Wallace and Winding Stair Gaps on our motel shuttle bus From March til May.We always have great rates

neighbor dave
10-25-2005, 16:36
Frosty:

It's simply rude.he's prolly mad cause he never made it that far on this years attempted thru-hike. if he had made it that far he would've found out first hand that it's a great place run by a very nice person.
sorry frosty, but,i too think you should lighten up!:bse :jump

Frosty
11-27-2005, 00:04
he's prolly mad cause he never made it that far on this years attempted thru-hike. if he had made it that far he would've found out first hand that it's a great place run by a very nice person.
sorry frosty, but,i too think you should lighten up!:bse :jumpLighten up? I merely asked if there was a purpose to Haven's bumpng this thread other than advertising. That's all. A question seems legitimate to me, especially with Jack and TJ so incensed lately about advertising services lately. What I got was email sent to me that a "very nice person" would never have sent anyone. Scroll up to read it if you wish.

I am not mad that I did not finsih my hike this year, but thanks for your neighborly concern, Neighbor Dave. It was a combo of arthritis, ITBS and my starting off with 18 mile days. That combo didn't take very long to come to a boil, about as far as Dick's Creek Gap.

I will likely try again next year, but will probably opt for a different Franklin motel.

DavidNH
11-27-2005, 23:15

So..how far in miles is this Inn from the Appalachian Trail? do i need to hitch to get there? I am more apt to stay at a place that is close to the AT then several miles off the AT.

DavidNH

orangebug
11-28-2005, 13:21
Franklin is about 14 miles from the AT at Winding Stair Gap, but is the biggest town you will get to before possible stop at Gatlinburg. It has probably the best opportunity for resupply, restocking gear, rest and medical attention. It typically is an easy hitch to town, and folks like Ron make the trip back much easier.

It is also your first opportunity for a beer.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2005, 15:43
Actually, OB, you can get beer in Hiawassee.

Franklin is the first place you can get something a bit stronger, for those who wish to.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2005, 15:44
Helen is your first opportunity for a beer. And a bar.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2005, 15:48
This. of course, is true....assuming you're crazy enough to go into Helen. I've always viewed it as something of a Kraut Gatlinburg, and have always avoided it unless the weather was horrible.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2005, 15:50
Is Kraut a racist term? Like Kike?:)

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2005, 16:00
I guess it depends how sensitive one is, Wolf. The term dates back to the First World War, and was used to describe anything Germanic.

The Germans, of course, had equally warm feelings about Frenchmen and Britons. Some of these terms are even printable.

the goat
11-28-2005, 16:42
just don't try to get beer in GA on a sunday.....damn holy day.

Lone Wolf
11-28-2005, 16:44
You can't get beer in Erwin on Thanksgiving. I bet the pilgrims had beer.

sparky2000
11-28-2005, 16:50
The outfitters across from McD is better then most and the short, white bus will help you out if you spend the night at his place - a red pickup truck came out to the shelter and scooted us into the motel... last year.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2005, 18:08
Lone Wolf is correct...the Pilgrims certainly enjoyed their beer. In point of fact, the primary reason that they made landfall at Plymouth was because they were running low on the beverage. While the creation date of the first brewhouse in Plymouth is unknown, it probably was one of the first structures built. By the time of the first Thanksgiving feast in 1621, it is fairly certain that at least part of the first barley crop (and perhaps much of it) was devoted to the making of beer, which has been enjoyed at Thanksgiving tables ever since. When we sit down for our belated Thanksgiving dinner this Saturday in Hanover, I expect it will appear at our table as well. In fact, I can can pretty well guarantee it.

And if Jester is reading this, don't forget the Yuengling!

Lone Wolf
03-26-2006, 21:42
Well I've been staying at the Franklin Motel for 18 years but may try the Haven.
Finally stayed a couple of nights at Ron Haven's Sapphire Motel. The Budget Inn was sold out. Hiker trash everywhere! Ron and his people are a class act. Ron runs his ass off taking care of hikers. Solace and crutch do a lot also.Myself and That Guy got a shuttle today from Ron to Hot Springs in a stretch limo. His wife and boys came along for the ride. He hardly gets to spend time with them during hiker season. Thanks Ron. I'll see y'all next weekend.

RockyTrail
03-26-2006, 22:24
Lone Wolf is correct...the Pilgrims certainly enjoyed their beer.

Truth is stranger than fiction:

The first American Indian to communicate with the Pilgrims walked into their camp in March 1621. His name was Samoset, an Algonquin chief. When he walked in to their camp the very first thing he said to the astonished Pilgrims was "Have you got any beer?" Passing ships had traded with the Indians for years and Samoset had learned English from them. The Pilgrims were out of beer but gave him some brandy, a biscuit, and roast duck. Samoset introduced the Pilgrims to Squanto, who later taught them the life-saving skills needed for survival in the New World...

ref: "Squanto" by S.E. Goodman in "They Knew They Were Pilgrims" edited by L.D. Geller...

tiamalle
03-27-2006, 15:05
Finally stayed a couple of nights at Ron Haven's Sapphire Motel. The Budget Inn was sold out. Hiker trash everywhere! Ron and his people are a class act. Ron runs his ass off taking care of hikers. Solace and crutch do a lot also.Myself and That Guy got a shuttle today from Ron to Hot Springs in a stretch limo. His wife and boys came along for the ride. He hardly gets to spend time with them during hiker season. Thanks Ron. I'll see y'all next weekend.Thanks from all of us here in Franklin and will be looking forward to seeing you,Ron:)

1azarus
01-19-2007, 14:33
I just did a section hike from unicoi gap to fontana dam (January 06)-- and Ronnie was soooooooooooo helpful. He shuttled me to both ends of my section just when I needed him to, he shuttled me to and from the trail when I needed rides... he even offered to wait for me to get a take-out meal!!! He knows every dirt road and trail head in the area, and there are hilarious stories to go with everything. Probably the luckiest thing for me is that I ran into him at a Forest Service Road just south of the NOC when he was shuttling a bunch of hikers from the SO-RUCK and he offered to drop my pack off at the NOC so I could slack pack! The Budget Inn is comfortable, and Ronnie is a real gem.

1azarus
01-19-2007, 14:34
oooops. i meant 07!!!

Lone Wolf
01-19-2007, 14:34
trail magic.:)

Gray Blazer
01-19-2007, 15:06
Go Ron, I'm still planning to attend and vend at April Fool's Bash (Frosty, don't you dare). I'll call you soon. It's funny how things turn out. I visited your hotel last March because I heard Frosty got really sick and I was going to visit him there and cheer him up, give him a ride if needed or whatever and hopefully meet Tiamalle. Ron, I hope I'm not one of the 8. I don't want to control anybody or their website. I know I post stupid things but I've been trying to bite my tongue more lately. Maybe I should sit on my hands when at the keyboard.

maxNcathy
01-19-2007, 16:33
Ron,

Look for me soon. We can talk about the North for a spell.

Sandalwood/Max

TOW
01-20-2007, 10:00
Ron Haven? What a concept of a friend of hikers of the Appalachian Trail! man of high regards in my way of seeing things!

And for some of you out there who ever meets this man and decides that he is just doing it for the money, get off of the trail and go home until you learn that it cost money along with goodness sometimes to have one of the best experiences that you will never forget and that you will tell your grandkids about.

The only reason I say this is because it seems to trouble Ron to think that there is "SOME" hikers of the trail who expects Trail Angels and towns who provide srevices to bend over and basically give them what they want at the time because they are very budgeted, too budgeted.

Actually budgeted=cheap.

little bear
01-22-2007, 22:44
Hey Ron im planning on attending your hiker bash this year, are you going to post some info on it. And can you save me a room.

PS
Thanks again for the great shuttle from the NOC to Wayah. You are truely a great friend to hikers.
LB

Mother Nature
01-22-2007, 23:34
I hope to see folks at the April Fools Bash. Smokestack is doing an 07 Solo Thru and I will be walking from Springer to Franklin with him.

We have reservations at the Sapphire Inn and we look forward to another good time with hiker and to North Carolina's greatest Trail Angel, Ron Haven!

I will have a stash of peppermint patties to share if anyone wants me to bring them to the Bash.

MN

tiamalle
01-23-2007, 00:18
Hey Ron im planning on attending your hiker bash this year, are you going to post some info on it. And can you save me a room.

PS
Thanks again for the great shuttle from the NOC to Wayah. You are truely a great friend to hikers.
LBThanx for all these nice comments and I look forward to seeing all of you I can this year.http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m277-1-1-1-s&reset=1 here is a link about the bash although I am going to have everything set up Fri night Mar 30th even with food but not a band.Everyone remember the band that were the nephews of the artist that wrote and produced those Appalachian Trail songs in the 50s I hope will be coming back this year.Any one who want to set up as vendors is free.If you want to reserve a room call Sapphire Inn 828-524-4406 or Budget Inn 828-524-4403 but you don't have to rent a room to attend.All are invited and I have room for tenters at no charge.Attroll has posted a link on the top of Whiteblaze to ATS which is my website listing lots of services in our area that is very hiker friendly and you are welcome to the info.If we can be a help while you are in our area even if you have a question,call us.
:sun

The Weasel
01-23-2007, 11:39
Thanks Rain Man.Also we publish the Franklin Hiker tour guide of all
reatuarants,grocery stores,outfitters,hiker friendly places and a list of all the places hikers need to stop.If anyone needs one send me a stamped and an
addressed envelope and I will be glad to send them one free.Ron:)

Why not post it here as an Article?

The Weasel

crutch
01-24-2007, 21:03
I will have a stash of peppermint patties to share if anyone wants me to bring them to the Bash.

MN

I want you to bring them......if you do I'll cook something nice for you.

Crutch

Wonder
01-24-2007, 22:36
Here's another vote for the peppermint patties.........your candies are uber gut!