PDA

View Full Version : ADVISORY: 'Semen foot' Hiker heading southbound from NY area

Ironbelly
02-12-2012, 19:09
Not sure if general is the right category for this or not, Mods feel free to move if neccesary.

I just returned from a week long trip in Harriman State Park, NY. We encountered a very odd/strange hiker at the Brien Memorial shelter. He stated he started in MA and is heading southbound to springer. I got an uneasy vibe around him, as did the other members of my group. He stopped at the shelter for a quick rest stop and ended up staying for 5 hours before heading on to Fingerboard shelter.

He was talking about all kinds of crazy stuff such as rubbing semen and feces on his feet to keep them moisturized, doing yoga stretches while you are falling to stop the fall, sprinting all around the shelter area randomly with his shirt off-mind you it was like 20F outside. He was hugging and humping trees. Talking about how he wished he had a bastard sword because he has a bastard and was swinging his trekking poles around wildly, talking about how he wanted to move to NYC and become a rat ninja and hunt rats to live off of with a slingshot shooting eggs filled with powdered glass. And lots of other strange crazy things.

Just wanted to let everyone know to be wary, he didn't do anything that seemed outright red flag behavior, and he has nice and polite, just...odd.

He said his name was Andrew i believe, maybe Adrian, he was probably in his late 20s or 30s, white, strawberry blonde hair with a full beard, skinny build, probably 5'8-5'10ish, 150ish lbs.

xcess
02-12-2012, 19:24
If not this then please define red flagg behavior.

Feral Bill
02-12-2012, 19:30
I met a fair number of "characters" back when I hiked in Harriman often. Sounds like this guy tops them all.

strollingalong
02-12-2012, 19:52
was he tripping?

strollingalong
02-12-2012, 19:57

Sure, it seems bad in the minute it took to read that, but in 5 hours it's not that bad.

Panzer1
02-12-2012, 20:14
Sounds like he is mentally disturbed.

In this weather he may freeze to death.

Panzer

Lugnut
02-12-2012, 20:16
Sounds like it might be Mattie on spring break. ;-)

MJW155
02-12-2012, 20:18
5 hours or not, that's bad.

Ironbelly
02-12-2012, 21:11
Well i meant he wasn't brandish weapons or threatening to kill us or anything. I got more of a weird vibe, than a dangerous one if that makes sense. but in anycase if you run in to him i would keep your guard up. He said he was doing 15-20 mile days, so that would probably put him somewhere in NJ now.

Kookork
02-12-2012, 21:42
It seems more of a mentally disturbed type of person to me. His behaviour is all over the place.

Maybe a schizophrenic??!!. They all give you a bad vibe just in a few minutes and although a small fraction of them are dangerous,they do more harm to themselves than others. Possibly he is out of his medications.

jerseydave
02-12-2012, 21:44
He said he was doing 15-20 mile days, so that would probably put him somewhere in NJ now.

He'll fit right in here

FarmRookie 2015
02-12-2012, 22:29
Doesn't everyone do that?

Lone Wolf
02-12-2012, 22:30
hell i'll drink beer with him

Sailing_Faith
02-12-2012, 22:31

Sitting on the couch and watching tv....

... every day.

Harpua
02-12-2012, 22:47
last year i spent the night at the william brien memorial shelter. i got a strange vibe from that place, but not anything like this. when we got to the shelter we found and old bed mattress with a snuggie, a pair of reading glasses, and a book on it. this was very strange, we were expecting someone to come back home as if they were living there. then later we also saw 2 men wander out of the woods, (holding steak knifes) not coming from a trail, with shopping bags full of what we think where wild mushrooms. they just saw us and went back into the woods. it was just an eery place with a couple of weird tthing encountered.

bamboo bob
02-12-2012, 22:48
So you mean he's a lot like every other hiker you meet on the trail.

No Belay
02-12-2012, 22:57
sprinting all around the shelter area randomly with his shirt off-mind you it was like 20F outside. He was hugging and humping trees. ....... And lots of other strange crazy things.

Behavior of this sort is indicative of societies diminishing level of acceptable morals. Threehuggers yesterday, Treehumpers today, what can we expect for tomorrow? 8o)

Savor Happy!

TaTonka

TOMP
02-12-2012, 23:25
when we got to the shelter we found an old bed mattress with a snuggie, .

Oh sweet you found my snuggie, I was wondering where I left that.

Sarcasm the elf
02-12-2012, 23:40
last year i spent the night at the william brien memorial shelter. i got a strange vibe from that place, but not anything like this. when we got to the shelter we found and old bed mattress with a snuggie, a pair of reading glasses, and a book on it. this was very strange, we were expecting someone to come back home as if they were living there. then later we also saw 2 men wander out of the woods, (holding steak knifes) not coming from a trail, with shopping bags full of what we think where wild mushrooms. they just saw us and went back into the woods. it was just an eery place with a couple of weird tthing encountered.

After reading the opening post my first thought was that it made perfect sense this encounter happened at William Brien Memorial shelter. I stayed there this spring in the middle of four days of rain and the place was seriously surreal and creepy. If I had encountered a character like the one the opening poster did when I was there I might have assumed it was a figment of my imagination.

ljcsov
02-12-2012, 23:51
After reading the opening post my first thought was that it made perfect sense this encounter happened at William Brien Memorial shelter. I stayed there this spring in the middle of four days of rain and the place was seriously surreal and creepy. If I had encountered a character like the one the opening poster did when I was there I might have assumed it was a figment of my imagination.

Please share! I enjoy hearing of these encounters.

MaybeTomorrow
02-13-2012, 02:55
I'm sure my Exwife the psychologist would say, "many aberrant mental characteristics appear in the late 20s".

takethisbread
02-13-2012, 07:26
I bumped into a guy that fits that description last year on the trail. I was scared. He needs help. Hope he doesn't hurt someone or himself

Sierra Echo
02-13-2012, 07:43
Red Flag behavior is when he asks someone to remove the splinter he got from humping the wrong tree with no protection.

Jim Adams
02-13-2012, 07:59
....no worries...typical SouthBounder!:)

geek

Old Hiker
02-13-2012, 08:47
So you mean he's a lot like every other hiker you meet on the trail.

Nothing personal, Bob, but I'm NOT like this guy. My hair is gray. I'm 6'2". I've NEVER been a tree-hugger, let alone a "tree-humper". My parents told me they were married, but my brothers told me I was an orphan, so who know's about the bastard part. And I haven't been 150ish pounds since the early '80's. 1780's, that is.

Other than that, though......................

See ya on the trail!

WingedMonkey
02-13-2012, 10:56
Please share! I enjoy hearing of these encounters.

He didn't have an encounter, he was just in a shelter that was "seriously surreal and creepy".

Oh my.

Dolly Sods
02-13-2012, 11:35
From the big dictionary on my shelf:

Dendrophilia:
(or less often arborphilia or dendrophily) literally means "love of trees". The term may sometimes refer to a paraphilia in which people are sexually attracted to or sexually aroused by trees. This may involve sexual contact or veneration as phallic symbols or both.

What a strange case, thanks for letting us know. Sounds like he may be schizophrenic and off his meds.

ljcsov
02-13-2012, 17:51
He didn't have an encounter, he was just in a shelter that was "seriously surreal and creepy".

Oh my.

Oh I hate it when that happens when I'm in the woods. I bet people post similar things here after seeing me dressed up like a thermal ninja in winter temps.

julianne2saw
02-13-2012, 18:00
That type of talk in that environment would sure creep me out!! Yeah, sounds dangerous to me. But its a free country sort of ....

julianne2saw
02-13-2012, 18:03
OK , He would make my serenity a bit cloudy and his style is not what i would be in the woods seeking, A creepy vibe is the first clue tho.

julianne2saw
02-13-2012, 18:07
YES YES YES your quote is my quote!! I would like to find someone who wants to share driving and expenses headed north in spring from nw fla area springer etc and then int he fall from catskills back south all or part but not this feces, semen guy, I dont discuss things like that with anyone i havent known very well or a very long time, and rarely then unless its about gardening and humanure.....

seriously, how can i post this idea of mine to find some safe but temporary win win green drivers as i am getting older and its a really not so much fun drive for me anymore. all ideas ok ( I hope ) I do think xcess is correct tho, this was rude and over the line of hiking ettiquiette in my book.

julianne2saw
02-13-2012, 18:12
I agree . I dont like verbal perving by nasty crazies, whether in the woods or up at the old folks community center. If its skitzo or advanced brain disease , he could still be really dangerous and did scare some folks.

I am planning a trip with perhaps a few day small hikes, I am gettin on in years now and i go from nw florida to the catskills near slide mountain, very very remote and full of real bears too, how would you recommend if at all that i try to connect with someone sane to share driving and expenses from or to nw georgia to there in spring and back in fall, all or part. Craigslist doesnt seem to attract realistic un scary folks anymore. thank you Julianne

BobTheBuilder
02-13-2012, 18:13
On the bright side, I'll never have a trail name as bad as "Semen Foot." I hope.

ChinMusic
02-13-2012, 18:26
On the bright side, I'll never have a trail name as bad as "Semen Foot." I hope.

You sure that isn't a typo and he's just really tall.........

Ironbelly
02-13-2012, 22:07
Yeah, no typo. lol

Juice
02-13-2012, 23:57
Who knows but this guy could be laughing his ass off about a bunch of folks he messed with one random day on the trail.

swjohnsey
02-14-2012, 00:09
What a trail name.

atmilkman
02-14-2012, 00:13
Who knows but this guy could be laughing his ass off about a bunch of folks he messed with one random day on the trail.
I was thinking the same thing. Just some idiot looking for attention, and he got it. Then again you run into some people that are so whacked you can't help but think gee I'd give a $20 bill just to be in that ones mind for 10 minutes. Just 10 minutes that's all I ask for.

Feral Bill
02-14-2012, 00:32
I was thinking the same thing. Just some idiot looking for attention, and he got it. Then again you run into some people that are so whacked you can't help but think gee I'd give a $20 bill just to be in that ones mind for 10 minutes. Just 10 minutes that's all I ask for.

I'd give a lot more than twenty to never be in a guy like thats head, even for a second.

weary
02-14-2012, 12:16
What so unusual? You're on a trail you can reach via commuter train from New York City?

Feral Bill
02-14-2012, 14:13
What so unusual? You're on a trail you can reach via commuter train from New York City? The rest of the world, of course, has no such people.:rolleyes:

Tinker
02-14-2012, 14:26
Red Flag behavior is when he asks someone to remove the splinter he got from humping the wrong tree with no protection.

I might offer to burn it out with a half pint of denatured alcohol. ;)

Skid.
02-15-2012, 18:09
Everything about that shelter just gave me the creeps when I stopped by in 2010. I planned on staying there, but just cooked dinner and hiked an additional 5 miles to Fingerboard late in the day just so I didn't have to stay there.

Tuckahoe
02-15-2012, 18:24
Reading the originial post, I have to say from my experience living in a college town, this is pretty normal behavior for college kids and twenty-somethings... Dont worry they usually grow out of it... usually.

ljcsov
02-16-2012, 14:11
Why is everyone weirded out by this shelter? Makes me want to check it out soon!

Feral Bill
02-16-2012, 14:40
Why is everyone weirded out by this shelter? Makes me want to check it out soon! Its been many years, but I recall it as being a very ordinary shelter. Fond memories for me.