PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in a Mummy Bag Question

theoilman
02-12-2012, 20:43
I am new to a mummy bag. I sleep on my side or stomach, almost never on my back.

When temperatures are close to bag rating, and fully zipped / hood secured, do you roll over with the bag and all? Or do you try to keep the bag right side up and roll inside it?

Senor Jalapeno
02-12-2012, 20:49
I leave it right side up and roll myself around. I also use a silk liner, makes it easier

Hikes in Rain
02-12-2012, 20:51
I'm a side sleeper, too, but tend more to the back than the stomach. After the first night, I don't ever seem to have a problem rolling over. I THINK I take the bag and all, but honestly, I'm not sure. My thought, backed with sleeping in a mummy for lots of years, is that you wear it like a nice warm loose fitting garment. Cinch it tight around the face, and don't worry it so much. It all works out.

DAJA
02-12-2012, 20:51
I generally try and keep the bag with me when I roll, often by morning it's twisted all around me.

LET
02-12-2012, 21:03
I have a hard time sleeping on a mummy bag. It doesn't help that I use an air sleeping pad inside of it. I always feel like I don't have space to twist and turn. I have thought about using a double bag but that would be bigger to carry. I'm trying to train myself to sleep on my back. Hopefully I can master it soon.

Enic
02-12-2012, 21:24
If you spin inside the bag, your exhales may wet your bag some. Ideally, you should move the bag with you, but it's not a huge deal. If you sleep, that's the most important thing, not how you lay in your bag.

GlazeDog
02-12-2012, 21:36
I'm a spinner. Bag stays put, while I roll on my side. Never had real issues with wetting out from exhaling. If rotate with bag you have zero insulation in front of your face,....and if it wets out less insulation in front of your face. Seems like silly-talk to me. Just get the mummy.....millions side sleep in mummy bags...don't sweat it.

Wil
02-12-2012, 22:00
I can sleep anywhere. In front of the TV, in class, on friends' living room floors, in airplane economy seats, in bright sunlight and through deafening noise. No problem. But I can't sleep in a cinched up mummy.

So I don't worry about it. Just relax; think pleasant thoughts. Luckily cold nights tend to be long, and 9-10 hours or so of drifting in and out of a semi-turpor is enough to get you through the next day. The more you worry about getting to sleep the less you'll sleep.

Tinker
02-13-2012, 00:54
Two of my most used bags have no hood. The hood is on the jacket that I wear to bed in cold weather, otherwise I just wear a knitted cap.,

If your mummy bag has the same amount of insulation on the bottom as it does on the top, just roll over with the bag so the hood stays on your head. If the bottom of the bag is much thinner than the top, it would be better to buy a separate hood or hooded garment and keep the bag right side up, rolling your body inside it.

Some nice looking hoods for hoodless bags:

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/category/hoods/

txag
02-13-2012, 01:40
I zip my bag down 3/4 of the length, plug my feet in, turn it 1/4 turn and sleep with the open zipper towards the pad (basically using it as a blanket). Works pretty well unless it is really cold or you are sleeping on snow. Twisting in the bag 2X with the bag only rotating 1.343X causes me to wake up. Maybe I have never been tired enough.....

Slo-go'en
02-13-2012, 02:09
I lay mostly on my stomach and when it's cold I like to have the hood over the top of my head, not below it. Of course, the zipper baffle isn't made for the bag to be used up-side-down. Minor detail. So, I guess I roll the bag with me to keep the hood behind my head.

Bronk
02-13-2012, 06:30
I hated mummy bags until I adopted the attitude of you "wear" a mummy bag rather than sleep in it. The bag moves with you rather than you trying to maneuver inside of it. Pretend its a giant sock. When you turn on your side, move the whole bag with you...when you bend your legs, bend the bag.

daddytwosticks
02-13-2012, 08:09
Side and back sleeper here who thrashes around all night. I tend to take the mummy bag with me when I toss and turn. :)