PDA

View Full Version : Long term Iodine usage

2XL
03-20-2005, 09:17
Are there ill effects form using iodine as your water treatment for an extended time? If it's going to kill the bad bacteria, won't it also kill the good bacteria that you body naturally contains?

MOWGLI
03-20-2005, 09:38
Are there ill effects form using iodine as your water treatment for an extended time? If it's going to kill the bad bacteria, won't it also kill the good bacteria that you body naturally contains?

I used Polar Pur for 2100+ miles in 2000. I'm not qualified to answer this question however. It's a good question for your personal physician.

hikerjohnd
03-20-2005, 09:52
MOWGLI16 is right - this is definitly a question for your MD. I have a thyroid condition that forces me to limit my iodine intake - I mostly avoid iodized salt and do OK. I'm sure if you had issues, you'd know, and I doubt you'll have trouble using iodine, but definitly talk to your doc. :sun

SGT Rock
03-20-2005, 10:56
Iodine can also supplement iron in your system. It prevents goiters and some other conditions. Unless you have a medical problem, there shouldn't be an issue.

I remember watching a documentary on China a few years back. Seems some poor areas people choose not to buy iodized salt because it is like a penny more, and a penny was a lot of money to these people. That area had huge problems with goiters and other illnesses related to not getting enough iodine in the diet. Part of the point of that piece was how the glorious Chinese government was helping to get iodized salt to the people to help solve the medical problems in the area.

orangebug
03-20-2005, 11:00
One, the bleach is pretty much spent while you await it's work. You are drinking iodine salts after the bleach has worked. There is a small amount of elemental iodine consumed, much less if you add Vit C or other flavorings.

The amount of bacteria in you is substantial, but nothing like the amount of you. If you were to drink Polar Pure straight, you would have bleached your throat and let out a huge iodine belch cloud as stomach acids worked to do the job that Vit C would have earlier. Polar Pure is nowhere as severe a bleaching agent as lye or other truely nasty stuff.

Most thyroid problems related to iodine are due to iodine deficiency - goiters and the sort. These cause low thyroid conditions. There are causes of excessive thyroid hormone, typically caused by thyroid infections, tumors or inflammations.

The amount of iodine that a hiker will consume in a summer of water treatment is pretty small. The amount of benefit from such treatment is probably just as small. I carry Polar Pur as an antiseptic agent for wounds.

Smooth03
03-20-2005, 14:55
Several studies have demonstrated that no evidence exists indicating long-term use of iodinated water as being deleterious to the health. These studies include A.P. Block’s paper in The Journal of America Water Works Association, Vol. 60, Number 1 and Donald P. Morgan’s study, “Test of Chronic Toxicity of Iodine as Related to the Purification of Water,” which appeared in The United States Armed Forces Medical Journal, Vol. 4, Number 5.

Subjects in Morgan’s study consumed iodinated water for 16 weeks at a daily dosage of 12 milligrams per subject per day. During the last ten weeks of the study, the iodine concentration was increased to an estimated dosage of 19.2 milligrams per subject per day. Analysis of the resulting data revealed that subjects did not suffer weight loss, failure of vision, cardiovascular damage, altered thyroid activity, anemia, bone marrow depression, or renal irritation. It was the opinion of the investigators that consumption of iodinated water over a six month period did not result in an unusual incidence of any form of skin disease. There was no evidence of sensitivity to iodine among the healthy subjects, nor was there any indication of impaired wound healing or resolution of infections as a result of consumption of iodinated water.

These tests furnish evidence that Potable Aqua contains an iodine level, which can safely be used for short-term use.

This is from the Potable Aqua webpage. Polar Pure doesn't have anything similar. I've heard from a number of sources that long term use of iodine can cause fatigue. Obviously some people have been able to use it long term(i.e. thru-hike) with no serious fatigue problems. But as you can see, according the Potable Aqua iodine use isn't for long temr use. But is also appears they are just covering their A****, but this might be something to look in to.

MOWGLI
03-20-2005, 15:31
I've heard from a number of sources that long term use of iodine can cause fatigue.

That explains why I was so tired during my thru-hike. :D

Thanks for the post Smooth.

Smooth03
03-20-2005, 16:27
That explains why I was so tired during my thru-hike. :D

Thanks for the post Smooth.

Ha! And you thought it was those 20 mile days and 30 pound pack.....

Oracle
03-20-2005, 18:55
Here is a good resource for information about iodine as water treatment:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2000/108p679-684backer/backer-full.html

Roland
03-20-2005, 20:09
Here is a good resource for information about iodine as water treatment:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2000/108p679-684backer/backer-full.html
Good post, Oracle. Thank you.

Roland