PDA

View Full Version : The people in your universe....

Sailing_Faith
02-12-2012, 22:17
I am not sure if this thread will make sense, apologies in advance.

A year or so ago I was talking to a friend and came to realize that I am largely a stranger in my own life. The statement hit me for the stark clarity within it....

... Hiking, Sailing, whatever it is there is a part of me that is always looking over the horizon. Very few people I have known have ever been able to identify with this. Some who have seem to feel the need to 'caution' against it. I do not believe (as some would suggest) that this is a destructive thing.

It is what it is, and I am who I am.

The reason for this post is ..... I am deleting the rest of what I just wrote, but I wonder what others might be able to identify with or what thoughts might be shared about what I am writing?

fiddlehead
02-12-2012, 22:21
I can relate to what you are saying.
That is exactly why my best friends are now ones whom I have met while hiking or traveling overseas.
My old friends are OK as we grew up together, but, when I really start talking about what turns me on, they lose interest fast and only half listen anymore.
It's hard to understand the passion unless you've been there.

RORY CALHOUN
02-12-2012, 23:22
it's ok, when the Higgs Bosun is finally finally glimpsed at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) on the Swiss-French border the rules governing all we know will be seen with a new perspective. Looking over the horizon brings you right back home to one place, the same place. Standing anywhere on the AT you can blend right into the landscape.

Badspeller
02-12-2012, 23:35
Dude that is a beautiful way to live life, kudos and I tip my hat. I was born under a wandering star, (thanks Lee Marvin) and I look forward to the next thing I don't know and the next horizon unseen.

DBCFlash
02-12-2012, 23:43
I understand what you are feeling, I think. My entire life I have felt like I have been somewhat outside of whatever group of people I happen to be in, whether it was family, school friends, co-workers, girlfriends, wives or even my own children. Even after having worked at the same place for 15 years, I still feel like my job is temporary and I'm just there until the next "thing" comes along.
I doubt there is anything that you should be "cautioned" about.

Tinker
02-12-2012, 23:56
An appropriate poem for those of us who wander (in heart and mind, at least) :
http://www.wesjones.com/serv1.htm

"The Men Who Don't Fit In" by Robert Service

Sailing_Faith
02-12-2012, 23:59
Thank you all for the replies...

It really means a lot to me tonight.

Yes, this poem is appropriate... thanks for sharing it.

An appropriate poem for those of us who wander (in heart and mind, at least) :
http://www.wesjones.com/serv1.htm

"The Men Who Don't Fit In" by Robert Service

Juice
02-13-2012, 00:08
I've searched for an answer for so long, I'm afraid I've forgotten the question.

Tinker
02-13-2012, 00:13
Just when I thought I knew all the answers, they changed all the questions. ;)

I feel your pain. :D

ChinMusic
02-13-2012, 00:15

Shadowalker
02-13-2012, 01:52
WOW , And I thought I was All Alone , We will know it when we cross paths on the A T , NoBo 1st. week of March !!

Sailing_Faith
02-13-2012, 01:59

Yea, I read that too... but I turned 43 in January so what now?

Doc Mike
02-13-2012, 03:52
If you want to know where your heart is? It's where your mind goes when it wanders.

Firefighter503
02-13-2012, 04:42
I hear what you are saying. I think there is a larger number of us out there then you think...

takethisbread
02-13-2012, 07:22
I felt the same way always. You won't ever be able to satisfy that thirst, it's an abyss. God can help heal you and help you appreciate the things you have and not long for the things you don't.

moytoy
02-13-2012, 08:57
What you speak of is wanderlust. It has shaped my life and my career, to the better mostly but not always. I have kept my wandering in check to some degree but someday I shall be set free!

RWheeler
02-13-2012, 09:08
You are most certainly not alone :D

Old Boots
02-13-2012, 09:50
One becomes aware of this at about your age. Is it male menopause? I don't know. But do know there two basic kinds of personality - the introvert and the extrovert. My guess is that those of us who feel outside the norm are introverts who get their direction and energy from within themselves. The extrovert is just the opposite, deriving both from others.
Hopefully each can find a way to blend these tendencies so that one can share their lives with others and gain wisdom at the same time.

Cookerhiker
02-13-2012, 10:16
Since about 2005 (no clear "bright line" here), I've felt I'm in my 3rd life. 1st ended with finishing college & military service & getting married. 2nd was working, career, raising family. 3rd and present is post-retirement, post-divorce with the transition occurring as I finished the AT.

Re friends, most of who I interact with are those I've met in my 3rd life but I've also reconnected with friends and some family from my 1st life e.g my usual hikng partner and I were college buddies. I've left the 2nd life almost totally behind.

I don't know if I'll have a 4th life (at least in this earthly existence) but I continue to look ahead to new adventures, experiences, intellectual stimulation, and acquaintances.

sailsET
02-13-2012, 11:36
I felt the same way always. You won't ever be able to satisfy that thirst, it's an abyss. God can help heal you and help you appreciate the things you have and not long for the things you don't.

I really hope that is true.