PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella Pros and Cons

BigRing
02-12-2012, 22:20
Do you use an umbrella? How well does it work?

jjimen16
02-12-2012, 23:38

I ordered the golite dome, and though I have not gotten it yet, I will be using it very soon. I was looking for advice from two guys that completed thru hikes. (one of them did two) and they told me that they LOVED having them. They are both lightweight backpackers and one goes the super-ultralight route. But he said it was awesome on those times where it was a quick shower, he had it sticking up from the inside of his pack where he could easily pull it up and just keep on going. It opens up nice enough to that it kept down to about his shins dry. He said it was so nice not to have to stop, put his pack down, then put the rain jacket on, only to take it right off once he got sweaty in it anyways.

Another benefit he said was the ability to stop at any time for a snack if he needed to in between shelters when it was raining, and stay dry under it by putting it across two branches or whatever.

I will have to see when I get mine how well it works for me...

leaftye
02-12-2012, 23:46
It's fantastic on the PCT.

It keeps me cooler and less sweaty on sunny days. I don't have to worry nearly as much about sunburn to my face, neck or hands when using an umbrella.

On rainy days, it means rain stays off my eyeglasses, I can hear correctly because I don't have to wear a hood, and I can take pictures with a normal camera. If it's not windy, I might not even need any rain gear.

On some shelters, an umbrella can be used to help block wind or rain...I've done this with an a-frame tarp when the wind changed direction.

ChinMusic
02-12-2012, 23:55
Out west maybe (sun and rain). IMO on the AT it would be a royal PITA.

Blissful
02-13-2012, 00:00
My son used it for half his AT hike in '07. No issues and loved it. He had a Go lite one, and hated rain gear.

Leanthree
02-13-2012, 00:15
Been toying with the idea of getting one as well. In eastern forest hiking (like the AT), do overhead branches pose a problem?

chiefduffy
02-13-2012, 10:30
I have used the Montbell version for years on the AT. I tie it to my pack strap so my hands are free for my poles. Overhead branches are not a problem, except occasionally crossing blowdowns. It works wonderfully for those all day steady rains, not so well in high winds. I rarely use any other raingear.

trippclark
02-13-2012, 12:33

For me, I find that an umbrella is not perfect (others have pointed out the drawbacks -- overhead branches, high winds, tired arms from holding) but it is much better than traditional raingear. With regular raingear, I get soaked with sweat, even in cool weather and even with supposedly breathable fabrics. I use an umbrella while hiking (with gaiters and sometimes a rain-wrap). When I am in camp, and need two hands, I carry a dri-ducks jacket that doubles as a wind and insulation layer. I consider my lightweaight umbrella (golite) to be my most essential piece of trail raingear.

ChinMusic
02-13-2012, 12:52
How 'bout one of these?

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/8b/18b02ed3-d33e-510a-9c8d-0684b775195e/4c2ea57983ada.image.jpg

Sandy of PA
02-13-2012, 16:52
I use a Montbell Umbrella on the AT. I rigged 2 elastic cords with toggles to my right shoulder strap. As long as the trees are not too close together you just tip your hips as you pass by, totally hands free. Coupled with a homemade cuben rain skirt, it works in all but the heaviest rain. High wind, just have to sweat in a rain jacket.

GolfHiker
02-13-2012, 18:55
An umbrella on a hike really makes me laugh... not because I think it's funny or a bad idea, but after 30+ years of backpacking we would never ever have thought of using an umbrella. Kind of like hiking with a suitcase instead of a backpack. Yet here I am, wondering if this might not be my next great important gear purchase. I mean, who wants to get wet, and if there is an easier, lighter way to stay dry, you should go for it.....

Having said all that, the umbrella set up has to be simple, easy to use, hands free, etc. because simplicity is what I'm after.

ChinMusic
02-13-2012, 18:58
An umbrella on a hike really makes me laugh... not because I think it's funny or a bad idea, but after 30+ years of backpacking we would never ever have thought of using an umbrella. Kind of like hiking with a suitcase instead of a backpack. Yet here I am, wondering if this might not be my next great important gear purchase. I mean, who wants to get wet, and if there is an easier, lighter way to stay dry, you should go for it.....

Having said all that, the umbrella set up has to be simple, easy to use, hands free, etc. because simplicity is what I'm after.

This and a kilt has you written ALL over it. Throw in the Spotted **** and you'll score the hat trick.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/8b/18b02ed3-d33e-510a-9c8d-0684b775195e/4c2ea57983ada.image.jpg

GolfHiker
02-13-2012, 19:06
Yea, you may be right. I don't know what's gotten in to me... maybe it has been watching ol Chin get new gear... gear envy is a powerful thing! I know I have a problem and admitting it is the start to correcting it. But I don't want to correct it.

takethisbread
02-13-2012, 20:07
I have tried everything, and nothing suits me. Its the rain that's the real issue. I just hate it. I'm too hot, I'm too cold, I'm too wet, I'm miserable.

I guess now I just try to hike teal fast to shelter or a town and wait it out as much as possible. I leave my REI umbrella at home mostly. I just carry a tarp/poncho and go as fast as I can

leaftye
02-13-2012, 20:54
A Dri Ducks poncho is even better than a silnylon poncho. The only problem is keeping your forearms dry if you're using an umbrella or trekking poles, but there are inexpensive tyvek sleeves that might solve this problem.

Deadeye
02-13-2012, 21:44
Try it, what have you got to lose? I've used an umbrella for years, it's a standard peice of gear on my list. Great for all the reasons folks have already said. One trick: hold it very lightly in your hand. If you have a vise grip on that sucker, it won't yeild if it snags on something; if you hold it loosely, it can roll with the punches. I've hiked many miles and have not worn out or torn one yet. You can even do a "singin' in the rain" routine. Of course, if you insist on always using a trekking pole in each hand, an umbrella ain't for you, but I'm a one-stick guy.

Blue Jay
02-14-2012, 07:37
I used to use one all the time, but sooner or later I fall on it. If you are better at walking there is no down side that I have experienced, other than finding an efficient way to attach it to your pack. I have seen several ingenious methods.

Colter
02-14-2012, 09:15
On the A.T. an umbrella is primarily for rain protection.

I carry rain gear for rain, as a wind shell, for warmth, and to wear when doing laundry. An umbrella would only serve the first purpose. Thus I find rain gear to be a much better choice for me.

On the PCT it seems to me there are a lot more umbrellas carried in the south half than the north half. They can work nicely for some people for sun protection, until the wind blows hard. In Washington it can often be ridiculously rainy and the trail can be lined with brush soaked in cold rain. In those places rain gear beats an umbrella hands down. I think that's one reason are so many people standing in their rain gear in those Monument 78 photos and so few standing under their umbrellas.

For some, hiking with an umbrella for protection from the rain and sun is an uncomfortable nightmare: The wind blows it inside out, it goes flying down the trail, it gets caught on things, etc. Yet others swear by its ease and effectiveness: the comfort of not having rain beating on your head, the ability to light a stove or read a map with protection from the rain, etc. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground when it comes to hiking with an umbrella (http://www.planyourhike.com/gear/misc.php) in the sun and rain. You either love it or you hate it. You may love it in the sun and hate it in the rain, or vise versa. The only way to know for sure is to go out on a few test hikes with your own umbrella.

garlic08
02-14-2012, 10:27
I see them once in a while out there, but just not that often. They have not caught on as much as, say, trekking poles, LED headlamps, or tarptents have. If they were a really good solution to a problem, you'd think you'd see them more often. I saw quite a few in the desert on the PCT, but it wasn't like the trail was a constant procession of brollies. As others have said above, they pose as many problems as they fix.

The first time I heard of umbrellas on hikes was reading a description of the first American Mt Everest expedition in 1963. They hiked in to base camp during the monsoon and it sounded like umbrellas were the favorite gear for that part of the trip. So I thought I'd try it in wet conditions in the WA Cascades. It just didn't work out for me. I didn't have porters, though.

I think umbrellas in the hiking community are sort of like my method of hiking stoveless. I love it and it works for me, but it's definitely on the fringe and it's not for everyone, and never will be.

TOMP
02-14-2012, 18:51
Pros and Cons of an umbrella as rain protection:

Pros- Probably works pretty good.

Cons- Probably the most redundant piece of gear on your list assuming you have a hooded rain jacket.

Meriadoc
02-14-2012, 19:24
How 'bout one of these?

Whether in jest or not, that's why I wear a wide brimmed hat. It fulfills the same functions as an umbrella but without being unwieldy.

sbhikes
02-14-2012, 19:38
I liked using an umbrella. I attached it to my shoulder strap with shock cord and cord locks. Then I could hike with my trekking poles. It works pretty well, but not very well in Washington where the trail is overgrown with wet plants.